Welcome to Gaia! ::

The AnimeMangaGames(AMG) Guild

Back to Guilds

Believe you know your anime? Have you read the latest anime? Played the newest game? Then this guild is for YOU!!!!! 

Tags: Anime, Manga, Games 

Reply 2) Role Playing section!
How to Role Play!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Understand the Tips?
  yes
  no
  So much to read
  I like Pie
View Results

Alex the cyborg
Captain

4,300 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:35 pm
Here are some tips for RPing the right way.

So, here's a guide you should all read as soon as you get the chance.

First Up: Grammar and Punctuation!

The biggest annoyance. You need to use proper grammar and punctuation! When talking, these --> " <--- come in handy. Everyone with a third grade education should now what quotation marks are. Here's an example:

WRONG: Welcome. Said Ralph smiling. He turned to the audience and bowed. Nice to see you all at this year's Fifth Annual Talent Competition!

Are you wondering what's wrong with this outtanding line? Trust me ther is quite a bit wrong.

RIGHT: "Hi." Said Ralph, smiling. He turned to the audience and bowed, he then raised his head and spoke again. "Nice to see you all at this year's Fifth Annual Talent Competition!" He spoke with excitement in his voice and such pride and joy over the returning event.

See? These "" things help. So do commas, as they break up your sentence more and even combine sentences. I added 'he then raised...' in order to show give you a specific description of what he is doing, however that's just me you don't have to. And see how at the end, I added what kind of tone Ralph spoke with? If you just say "Nice to see you all at this year's Fifth Annual Talent Competition!" you don't really know the meaning behind it.

Is he being filled with joy, or does Ralph speak very monotoned? We'll never know unless you state it, or put an exclamation point at least.

Second Up: Godmodding.

Ever hear of called godmodding? It's where you can do just about anything you want in the RP without any limitations.

Godmodding is basically as the names says a God. You send people flying across the room without their permission. Still not sure what I mean? Take a look:

WRONG: Dana lunged, throwing a fist at Jack, sending him right threw the ceiling.

Stuff like that is BAD!

RIGHT: Dana lunged, throwing a fist at Jack. sending him flying across the room.

See how I crossed out the part about sending him threw the ceiling? Jack isn't your character- it's up to the person playing him whether or not he's going to get beaten up or not. And, if you are Jack, try to make him get hit at least once or twice; otherwise he is a gary-stu. We're covering that section now.

Third Up: Gary-Stus and Mary-Sues: The ones I hate

You may have heard of them, but are probably wondering 'Who/what the heck is Gary-Stu and Mary-Sue?' They're basically the same thing, except Mary-Sues are female characters and Gary-Stus are male character.

They're the ones we all hate in real life, yet still make up. Why? No one knows, but it is as sure as hell that they are annoying.

They are perfection. They never get hit, are always hot, and perfect in everyway. Still not sure what they are? Here's an example of a Mary-Sue in action:

WRONG: Dana was a beautiful girl. She had long silver hair, radiant skin, twinkling red eyes, and wasn't too skinny or big. She is the Cheer Captain and has many friends. She is nice to everyone. All the guys ask her out because she is pretty and they like her. She is very smart and gets A+ in every class. She is the Head of the Student Council and is rich and stylish.

Is it just me, or is she so perfect it's creepy and makes you feel bad that you can't be that way? Now, not only is she perfect in every way, she also is very good at not getting hit, and likes to godmod. Here's a Role Playing example:

WRONG: Dana laughed as she dodged the punch Jack threw at her. She danced around him like a top, her silver hair flowing in the breeze, and kicked right in the side of the face. Jack flew 10 feet threw the wall.

Jack growled and ran at her, at full speed.

Dana maneuvered her way out of the attack easily, grinning. "Foolish boy." she said, sticking out her tongue as she kicked him dead in the stomach.

Jack coughed and toppled over. "That's it!" He growled, lifting himself while powering up. His fist was clenched so tigh it was like steel. He threw the fastest, strongest punch he could muster.

Dana stuck out her arm, catching Jack's fist and flipping him over without a struggle.

Wow, just typing that makes me want to delete this post. She didn't even get hit, not even broke a sweat. While Jack was obviously trying his hardest. That's not right. NO ONE is that perfect. Now, unless Jack is 2 and Dana is a 26 year old kung fu master, do you think this is actually going to happen? Absolutely not!

Fourth Up: Romance + Too much=Big fat NO!

Okay, this is a bit of a problem forme and I think most of you will agree.

When there are too many make-out scenes, seriously, TONE IT DOWN. NOW. It's wierd and gross when they start making out or kissing one too many times in public. A kiss or two now or then is ok, but for the kissing every two sentences, please.

And not just kissing, too.

Sitting on anothers lap staring lovingly at the other's eyes is just creepy and way too lovey. What is gazing into each other's eyes going to do for the Story's plot? I mean, come on. A little cuddling's OK, just not too often. Flirting's fine, too. Keep it to a minimum.

Fifth up! Speaking out of Character!

When speaking in the RP people have a habit of getting out of context, like they might be trying to tell a guild member something about what's happening in the RP but isn't directed to the RPers character. Please use parenthesis to show that you are not talking to the RP character but to the Guild Member. For example:

WRONG: Jake looked out into the clear ocean and watched as the sunset. "It's beuatiful." he said.

Dana watched as well. "Yes, it is." Dude, you spelled beautiful wrong.

RIGHT: Jake looked out into the clear ocean and watched as the sunset. "It's beuatiful." he said.

Dana watched as well. "Yes, it is." [Dude, you spelled beautiful wrong.]

Do you see how I separated what the RP character was doing and saying from what the Guild Member was saying?

For any questions please PM Alex the cyborg if for some reason you still don't understand.

Darkside_Heartless's Hints:

Alright these are hints for any who wants to listen.
1. Try and picture the RP as a cartoon as you read, this will allow you to think more creatively and let you know when to jump in on something.
2. You're speaking in third person.(reminder)
3. Instead of god modding in a situation where you punch somebody and they actually get hit say you threw a punch towards the person and let them choose to get hit in they're next post.(I have had my share in God modding too but just dont do it so frequently)
4. Reread what you write before post.
5. Read what happened carefully before your post so you dont confuse the story.

I guess thats it, hope you use them.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:43 pm
hey! watch what you write in the RP it must make sense with what is going on in the story for example recently Crazy Munkay said Rea was in the infirmery as if someone moved her, no one ever said she was in the infirmary, also Itachi recently wrote write after Crazy Munkay and said she picked up Rea and brought her to the infirmary but nayway I have fixed that.  

Darkside_Heartless
Vice Captain

Crazy_Munkay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:49 pm
know these rules are alright because they are true  
2) Role Playing section!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items