Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
For people who dont want to get married, ever

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wanna get married?
  Yes
  No
  Gold-whore
View Results

Glamarama

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:37 pm
Seeing as weddings & marriages are generally religious affairs, I figured there'd be a few people in here who does believe in getting married. Please check out my new guild.

We dont want to stop other people from getting married, but we just dont want to as a personal choice. We believe there are other ways to declare our love for someone without all the outdated ceromony that a wedding & married entails. Someone us dont even want a relationship, let alone a marriage.

If you feel the same way please join the anti-marriage guild

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:50 pm
You do realize that the only part of marriage that is religious is the ceremony, right? The REAL part (or at least what should be considered the real part) is the legal work and the papers that recognize your marriage under the law of the state you live in, and were married in.

You don't NEED to involve religion, people only do so because of tradition. I'm planning on getting married, but that doesn't mean it's gonna be religious.  

CaprinaePsi

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:56 pm
Yeah religion isn't necessary in Weddings.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:07 pm
Hmm. Seems interesting, I think I might join. I really don't want to get married because it just seems so stressful and such a waste of money, plus I don't feel like it would last since I'm no good with relationships anyway. Also, I don't want to be pressured into having children, the idea of pregnancy and caring for a baby aren't appealing to me at all. I really can't stand most small children. If I really wanted a companion, I'd rather get an iguana or something.  

sora987

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:56 pm
I don't plan on getting married. Like Sora said, I too think it's kind of a money pit. I mean, maybe if I had lots of money to burn I'd think differently. The only reason I would is because of what Caprinae said about the legal bennifits. That's about it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:23 am
I wouldn't want to get married in the ceremonial sense, if only because people blow it way out of proportion. Like when they say that its a girls best day of her life. Why is it a girls best day? Why can't graduating college be her best day? Or the birth of her first child? Or her promotion to CEO? Why does it have to be marriage? It drives me CRAZY when my little cousin starts flipping through wedding catalog's and sighing over the pretty dresses, as if the more expensive elaborate dress would make her marriage last. Pish.  

PickleBoy

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:54 am
Because girls are meant to be attention whores, and well... that's what marriage ceremonies are all. =D

Best day of her life, considering her life afterwards is traditionally expected to be a baby machine/housemaid.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:54 pm
At no point did I say I thought marriage was purely religious. I know you can get married outside of a church and all that. I know it's mostly legal. But it's usually religions that kinda force people to get married if they wanna have sex or whatever. All this "living in sin" crap and all. Whether or not marriage is religious, I still want no part in it. I was only mentioning the religious part because this is an atheist guild, and I didn't want it to be complete OT!  

Glamarama

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:09 pm
Oh don't worry about getting off topic. I do it all the time. Any topic in the main dis. is allowed so long as it has a discussion. biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:56 am
After loosing it's religious connection Marriage does become only a shared text book in my eyes, but I dunno it depends on how much you trust the other person your with. But if you have to have a ring on your finger I don't think the relationship is all that healthy.

Hmm...*Rant form in head...*  

Crooked_Lamb

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:16 pm
Personally, I disagree.

I see it as a ceremonial culmination of love. If you don't want to make it a religious affair, then just write your own vows.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games