Reply The Ideas Center
Writing help: Main character killing

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

le perfum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:04 am
Since this is the readers and WRITERS guild I figure its okay to ask this here whee

Well, I'm writing a story about a 13-14 year old girl who is going to die. Basically her Death is trying to save her life. The thing about my Death and Creator is really long, so I won't get into that part (its already perfect in my mind) but what I'm really having trouble with is the ending. I'm going to kill off my main character, but I'm having a little trouble figuring out how.

Okay, she has a friend who basically "loves" her. This friend is going to be put in some sort of fatal danger, and my main character is going to help her. I had ideas about them being stranded in the freezing cold mountains, the friend dying and my character sacrificing all warmth of this character... but I really don't find that realistic. Could anyone please help me figure out something similar to that, just give me tiny ideas to go from, that is similar to that sort of scene. It's a really big part for her character that I want to do well.

Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:08 am
I'm going to move this to the writing subforum. Please post further writing topics there.  

penandpaper67
Captain

Icy Sapphire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:22 pm
Hmm...well the only problem is that with both of the characters being stranded in freezing cold mountains means that it's hard to find a realistic way for either of them to survive (not counting a fantasy-type story, where basically anything can happen).

Yes, sacrificing all warmth for her friend, although noble, isn't completely realistic, like you suggested, because the only way that the friend could come out alive would be if the main character's warmth prolonged her life just enough for someone to find them and bring them to rescue (shortly after the main died, of course).

Another thing that could happen would be the main running off to find someone to help her friend, keeping the friend safe in some sort of cave shelter or whatever, but then dies because she's traveling alone in a snowstorm or something of the sort. However, she was able to go far enough that someone quickly found her body and then searched and found the friend.

Sadly, I'm not quite sure how realistic that is, either. > __ > It might help if you put how they came to be stranded there in the first place, because then it might give more insight to possible rescue opportunities. Well, I hoped I helped, even though I couldn't come up with much. XD;;

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:02 am
Well, you could go with a Romeo and Juliet type ending where they both die. Or maybe a Christeen and Erik ending where one dies after their love leaves them, or choses a different life. You could go with a poising *Juliet style*, a snake bite *cleopatra style*, he/she could jump into an ice covered lake trying to save the other person, or the ever famous sliting of the wrists.  

MommiiDearest

Beloved Elocutionist

11,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Guildmember 100

H20edDownAzn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:00 pm
I post this in jest, and I shall wonder greatly what your story is like up to this point if you actually use my suggestion:

Have you ever seen Star Wars episode IV: The Empire Strikes Back? If so think to the scene where Han Solo saves luke by cutting the tauntaun open and saving him with the animal's hot guts.

Yep, that would be an interesting way to end things.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:53 pm
Killing the main character eh?

Well, all I need to know is what genre it is before I can help, because then I know what sort of thing to help with.. sweatdrop  

XGamerRichy

The Ideas Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff