A place for anyone who enjoys a good book 

Tags: reading, writing, books, roleplay, discussion 

Reply Realistic Fiction
Jane Austen Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you read any of Jane Austen's books?
  I've read all of them!
  I've read a few
  I've only read one of her books
  I haven't read any
View Results

FlixiePixie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:30 am
Persuasion is one of my favorites. Actually, Captain Wentworth is like, the ultimate man, in my opinion...lol Yeah, yeah, I love Mr. Darcy as well, but Captain Wentworth goes beyond awesome. (trying not to mention too many spoilers!)  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:30 pm
I'm dying to read Sense and Sensibility. I watched the 3 hour movie that just came out this year. It was really good!  

Collote
Crew

WickedSong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:54 am
I just finished Northanger Abbey. Have other people read this? While it was a good book, I didn't like it as much as Jane Austen's more edited works. What about you all?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:27 pm
Northanger Abbey seems to go either way with people.. Either they LOVE it, or they just don't like it.

I, personally, don't like the gothic romance novels. I think this particular writing of Jane Austen just shows what kind of a time period she was stuck in. It was the first book she wrote, and while it really does play at the gothic romances being written in abundance in her day, it still follows the genre. It is really a lot different than her other books, which are definitely more mature, in my opinion.

It's my least favorite of all her books. But I know a lot of people who rank it as their absolute favorite... so... there ya go.  

FlixiePixie

WickedSong

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:43 am
It just doesn't seem much like Jane Austen...but then again, she didn't edit it all that much, did she? It's an interesting book, especially to compare with her others.

I recently finished Mansfield Park (it's my goal this summer to read all of her books). I loved it! It and Pride and Prejudice are definitely my favorites of hers. Edmund and Fanny are amazing characters, and I felt the interplay of love, money, and morals was really intriguing. Anyone else read it?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:48 pm
Mansfield Park isn't one of my favorites, although I did like it. I think the ideas in Mansfield Park are just SO old-fashioned, it's hard to relate to the story. I thought the character of Fanny was very complex though.  

FlixiePixie

Ellema

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:00 am
I loved Northanger Abbey...unfortunately, it is also the only Jane Austen book that I've read. It is a send-up of gothic romances but also a satire about courtship and vapid society life. Austen's portrayal of the friendship between Catherine and Isabella (my favorite!) is complex and pretty funny. But I love reading about vapid society types and that's probably why I loved this book.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:00 am
FlixiePixie
Mansfield Park isn't one of my favorites, although I did like it. I think the ideas in Mansfield Park are just SO old-fashioned, it's hard to relate to the story. I thought the character of Fanny was very complex though.

I noticed that too. Their ideas of what young people should be doing together are really specific to the time. There's not much to compare it to today, as anything short of being closeted in a bedroom - and sometimes that too - is considered acceptable.  

WickedSong

Realistic Fiction

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces