Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Café (General Chat)
Magickal Fiction

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:00 pm
So, has anyone read any magick-related fiction recently?

I just finished reading John Dies at the End, and I thought it was pretty awesome. It's dark, funny, and odd in all the right places, and I'd recommend it to anyone who liked Odd Thomas or the like.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:50 pm
I reread my collection of Dion Fortune's fiction every now and then. They tend to fail as novels, but are interesting reads anyway. I go through some of Crowley's as well every now and then; I prefer Moonchild over Diary of a Drug Fiend.

Oh, and The Adept series by Kurtz and Harris (with its 'prequel' Lammas Night) is a good read as well.  

Nuadu

Ges

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:14 pm
I haven't read it recently, as I finished them in March last year, but I'm a huge huge supporter/fan of the Wraeththu series.

Basic background of the story, humanity is dying, slowly the population dwindles, until they appear. The Wraeththu, they look like us, like men, but their stronger, more beautiful, and more magical, and not men at all. This new hermaphrodic race rises as human dies, and fights to claim their place in our world.

The author, Storm Constantine, owns/runs Immanion Press, which puts out a lot of fringe magick/occult stuff. She herself is a practicing Chaos Magician, and it is evident in the Wraeththu series.

If you do magick, when you read the book it grips you, because it's all very realistic (for the first while at least), but it's just a few steps bigger than what most of us would think is possible.

She also wrote the Grimoire Dehara, which is basically the first of three (no mention if the other two are ever going to come out) books on the magick system of the Wraeththu, complete with their Wheel of the Year, and their gods, called Dehara. I practiced it for a year, it's an interesting system.

I recommend the novels to everyone.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:14 am
Silly me. There are, of course, the Dresden Files books too, by Jim Butcher.  

Nuadu

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:48 am
I just today finished reading The Raw Shark Texts by Stephen Hall. While not exactly about magick, it does give a really awesome account into the world of self, identity and conceptual lifeforms. I'd greatly recommend it to anyone who's into the cybernetic model of magick.  
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:00 am
Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic by Kelly Armstrong are ACE!!

they are part of a series technically but if you dont mind not being completely up to speed they are great on their own.

they are about a witch called Paige Winterborne who has an adopted teenage girl and gets involved with various cabals (big wizard companies who are compared to the mafia in the books).

Just Tsuki

The Café (General Chat)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff