Reply Realistic Fiction
Chuck Palahniuk

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

irock708

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:49 pm
Hm, I don't know how old anyone and everyone here is (yet), so I wouldn't know if you guys know him. But Chuck Palahniuk is basically an adult fiction writer (there, now you know) and... well. He writes about normal people in abnormal situations and he just does an amazing job of it. I've read all of his fiction work (HAH, I am so glad to be finally able to say that!), and am currently waiting for his latest book to come out in May. On the day of one of my best friends' birthday. Ahahaha. It's brilliant. My favorites are Rant and Invisible Monsters.

So. Anyone heard of him? Or at least Fight Club? I know that's a pretty popular subject.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:38 am
Sadly, I have only read Fight Club (but at least I can say I haven't just seen the movie!). It was such a wonderful tromp through effed-up-ness that I would like to read some of his other work. Rant and Invisible Monsters you say? What are they, roughly, about?  

H20edDownAzn

irock708

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:49 pm
Dude, just seeing your post made me pleasantly surprised. I thought this would never get a reply. Glad I'm not the only Palahniuk fan on here. biggrin

OK, short descriptions for Palahniuk books are nearly impossible, so I'll try to do this as best and short as I can.

Rant is basically an oral biography of Buster "Rant" Casey, who died in an explosive fiery death. This oral biography is created with the help of everyone who's ever interacted with him. The book contains black widow spiders, unusual animal attacks, and treasure that's worth more than five million dollars.

Invisible Monsters follows the story of a girl who got her face mutilated in a freeway "accident". She ends up so ugly, that everything she had: a career, a boyfriend, a best friend... well. They're all gone. Not only that, but no one acknowledges her anymore, making her an "invisible monster." But when she meets Brandy Alexander, a transvestite one operation away from becoming a real woman, she gets treated differently and Brandy shows her what reinventing yourself is all about.

I hope those weren't too long for you ^^;;

I also like Haunted and Lullaby, but, like I said, I've read all of his fiction work, so you can just ask me about the rest of his fiction work, too, if you want to read more from him. : D  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:19 pm
This is such an old thread; I apologize, but it is hard for me to find threads in this guild to contribute to. I read Invisible Monsters some months back, and it was quite unlike anything I had read before, in an good/bizarre way. I definitely plan to read more of his work.  

Jonni Mnemonic

irock708

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:03 pm
Cool biggrin

Invisible Monsters is my second favorite book from him biggrin  
Realistic Fiction

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items