Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
I have a question Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NovaKing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:10 pm
lidless_i
NovaKing
lidless_i
Who am I living for?

Well, the most immediate answer that comes to mind is myself... but the grandiose, hopelessly unrealistic daydreams that I've had about hoisting humanity out of the pit in which (I perceive) it has securely lodged itself would beg to differ. Or at least make it so that the answer "Myself" is not enough to satisfy the entirety of it...

What are you living for?

I've tried so hard to figure this one out... Spending countless hours, that I should have spent sleeping, working out in my head. Finding solutions, comparing solutions found by others. The only problems is that none of them seem to hold up when you reason them down enough. Not a single God damned one. So, either I lack the capability to find the meaning of life (an entirely likely possibility) or there isn't one (it seems just as likely). So, if the second option is true, it makes some degree of sense to seek our own purpose, and find our own meaning for life. (Actually that doesn't make much sense at all, but when there is nothing else and it pleases the irrational parts of our brain to indulge, why not do so?) Of course, being the way that I am, I don't feel that any purpose I could assign life would be complete enough, or meaningful enough, to warrant that I follow through with it. So, for the moment, I'm not really living for anything...

I apologize for the rant there.

Why?

For both answers, because I can't find a logical reason to really do anything at all. At the most basic level that I can reason, none of the things that we fill our lives with make any sort of real sense. So, forgoing a well thought out reason for it all, why not satisfy the baser impulse that drives us forward in our daily lives? Not sex and food of course, but the base impulse that makes us want to have reason and purpose in our lives, even if it's fabricated. So... yeah... that's why, because logic fails beyond a certain depth, whereas impulsion (a real word?) doesn't seem to...

Sorry for the long winded lecture... thing...

Edit: looking at it in the actual post it doesn't look as long winded as it felt when writing it. As such I retract my apology. Meh.

It's nothing too major, it's just a few loops that one runs into when carring it further. You know now though, I'm not certain whether I can really refute what's in here....hmmm leme see.

Well firstly to say that you have concern for others is logically to say that you are vested in their well being becuase, in all simplicity, you like society and see it as a thing worth living with. Now this, however, is a vast assumption based on the fact that I think you are human and that I think you process things in a way fairly similarly to myself. Indeed it could be that you have some inner motivation that drives you to help people simply becuase you are concerned for all of them, but I doubt that very much - seeing as if you did you probably would be out there directly helping those in need, and not talking to me. This is not to say that we cannot be selfless, only that usually, so far as I know, we consider ourselves as part of the big picture.

Ispofacto, I have some reason to believe that you are in-fact living for yourself and that the others you speak of are simply part of a fabric which you enjoy as much as the next man. This is just a guess of logic though, and quite possibly not true.

oh well. This is just silly reasoning, you know. I hope you don't get mad at me if any of it is off the mark, and indeed I hope you correct me; for I may gain more that way.

Now logically there is no meaning of life; life is and that is all we can say about it. There is no proof to say that we have some sort of higher purpose, nor that there is any purpose to anything at all - none that I can see anyways. Notably this would be very boring, and humans give all they can meaning. Indeed, if we did not do so we would not have letters and numbers and so on. The things that humans make can mean things to other humans, just for the very fact that we are all human.

This being said, it follows that life means what we make it mean. This is fairly simple, and in my opinion quite sensible. This should not be what you concern yourself with though, for anyone can see that humans can make up their own reasons. Far more pressing a question then these reasons is why we choose our reasons.

There are many answers to these as well, but from what I've found, and in my own opinion, we continue on because we want happiness and love.

Those are the best two things I can think of and if nothing else, they are why I live and give reason to things.

It follows from this that I can think of two very good reasons for doing things. Whether other people see this though, is entirely up to them. Whether these people are right or wrong in ignoring me or giving me any heed at all, is a mystery to me.

~~~

Edit I: it seems that you move along the same lines without elaborating as much as I did (doing so in the "impulses" bit of your "why" statement. Ah well. Also, the only refuting I did was to the first section and even that may have been wrong.

Edit II: Basically, you do what you want. This, however, seems to be a far more troubling statement then the reason of life - from what I've seen anyways. ^_^

Edit III: I think my logic is far more cumbersome then yours.

Sorry for taking so long to reply (and for accidentally posting only the quoted part of this message at first in case you saw that before I fixed it...)
It hadn't acctually ever occurred to me, what you said in the first part. It's definitely something to consider... It makes a lot more sense than my way of looking at it anyway.
As for the rest of it, you are about right in saying that we were thinking along the same vein but you elaborated more. Where you said that we want happiness and love for example; when trying to find a reason for it all, I had thought that the pursuit of happiness was a viable goal, until I asked myself "Why happiness?" And I couldn't find any logical reason. The only thing that I had was that I enjoyed the emotion at a basic level, which doesn't seem to be a very good reason to me (unless you say that one should be allowed to pursue what they enjoy, in which case the line of logic loops forever, or until you run out of ways of saying "do what makes you happy because it makes you happy") So I began to look for a logical reason to live. Not a meaning of life, or at least I didn't really see it that way while looking, just something that I could devote my life to. Something supported by logic rather than impulses and emotion. It was there that I became dismayed, because, as (I think) I said, when we reason the things we live for down far enough, they lose meaning outside of emotion. So, the best answer that I could come up with was that, since there was no "real" reason to live, I would have to settle for something emotional. In other words, allow the absolute base motivations of my actions to remain emotional rather than trying to conjure logical ones. See?

Ah but by the same logic, why not happiness?

and then, the loop is not a loop if you subistute want for happiness, in the statement "do what you want becuase it makes you happy."

What is a loop, however, is that you want happiness. On the other hand the loop may be broken down and linearized if you assume that wants come on something of a hiarchy and that the yern for happiness is a base want and all other wants catagorized to fulfill that are needs (as a need is to fulfill a want) and further other needs to fulfill those wants. With this reasoning we stop at happiness when breaking down our motivation in life.

Happiness is, as is generally agreed upon, the most desirable of the said emotions you mentioned, and can be seen as something which we all generally enjoy - such that it is something that is not triggered by sexual impulses and such that it is self imposed by yourself in a large part. Thus, I further your logic, and point out a contradiction only braught to light when my logic is, that while we govern ourselves and our actions by emotions, and I indeed agree with you on that point (..if you made it..) it is infact happiness that we strive for, and thus happiness which is our reason for "doing".

Not to mix science and logic but it has been suggested that some chemical imbalence MAY be the cause of unhappiness in some cases, for the most part though it is mostly your choice, or so thinks I. Notably depression is a hard thing to beat and may indeed be triggered chemically if logic does not prevail, such is a fickle argument though as there are some occassions where we do not wish to be happy even at the most basic of levels (For instance: when a loved one dies.) What this hints to though, is beyond what I know.

~~~

hehe that was fun, whether you decide my logic fallible or astute. On a closing note I would like to point out that when it comes down to it, past logic, we really make our own meaning of life. Whether this meaning will be more refined then the one I have found, or whether it will better suite the one I have found, subconcsiously, I cannot say.

At any rate thank you for listening ^_^

(by the way, are you still including yourself in the collaborative or are you too busy? It's fine either way, as I am already stretching myself out to even come on this message board and I would understand if you went by the later.)  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:11 pm
KirbyVictorious
MD: Nah, there's like 200-soemthing members total. All the regulars were though! ^^ Cept Oukow. ):

Hawkie: OK. Everyone gets to be emo sometime, right? Specially girls.

Lidless: Oh, Pudge, I forgot to warn you, doooonnn't argue with Nova! It gets ridiculous. X.x

haha, I do sometimes laugh at nova's rants behind the comp screen at times the text just flies when in IM's with him. razz  

Galladonsfire

NovaKing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:12 pm
Spastic waffles
NovaKing
Spastic waffles
Who are you living for? God

What are you living for? Hmm...I dunno. Whatever purpose God put me here for, I guess.

Why? Because I have a purpose on this earth and I haven't fulfilled it yet.

what happens when you do fulfill it?

I mean, what if you purpose comes before death? what will you do withyourself after that?
I don't know, neccesarily, what my purpose is. But once God deems it time for me to die, I will die. I do know, however, that I won't die until I fulfil my purpose.

And should you make your own reason, would that still be by God's doing?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:15 pm
Galladonsfire
KirbyVictorious
MD: Nah, there's like 200-soemthing members total. All the regulars were though! ^^ Cept Oukow. ):

Lidless: Oh, Pudge, I forgot to warn you, doooonnn't argue with Nova! It gets ridiculous. X.x

haha, I do sometimes laugh at nova's rants behind the comp screen at times the text just flies when in IM's with him. razz

In all fairness I'm a ridiculous kind of guy. ^_^  

NovaKing

Galladonsfire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:17 pm
NovaKing
Galladonsfire
KirbyVictorious

In all fairness I'm a ridiculous kind of guy. ^_^

AHHHH run away! its him!

jk, but seriously its all fun and philosophical thoughts razz ...not to mention psychological  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:11 am
NovaKing
Spastic waffles
NovaKing
Spastic waffles

What are you living for? Hmm...I dunno. Whatever purpose God put me here for, I guess.

I mean, what if you purpose comes before death? what will you do withyourself after that?
I don't know, neccesarily, what my purpose is. But once God deems it time for me to die, I will die. I do know, however, that I won't die until I fulfil my purpose.

I have free will. 'Tis a slightly confusing issue even for me, and requires a certain amount of faith. But I believe that everyone was placed on this earth by God for a reason, and I just try to live MY life for my purpose God granted me.  

Spastic waffles
Captain

NovaKing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:06 pm
Spastic waffles
NovaKing
Spastic waffles
NovaKing
Spastic waffles

I have free will. 'Tis a slightly confusing issue even for me, and requires a certain amount of faith. But I believe that everyone was placed on this earth by God for a reason, and I just try to live MY life for my purpose God granted me.

I like the idea of God...and I think it is important to have spirituality. I do not know if we can ever really know what it, he, she, them, wants though, nor am I sure if we are even in the spectrum of focus for whatever that thing is...I don't care too much though. Whatever we were put here for, the only thing we can know for certain is that we ARE here. It is in light of that, that I choose to help this place and not my standing in the afterlife.

That is my choice, addressed to no one in particular. -shrug-  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:46 pm
NovaKing
lidless_i
NovaKing
lidless_i
Who am I living for?

Well, the most immediate answer that comes to mind is myself... but the grandiose, hopelessly unrealistic daydreams that I've had about hoisting humanity out of the pit in which (I perceive) it has securely lodged itself would beg to differ. Or at least make it so that the answer "Myself" is not enough to satisfy the entirety of it...

What are you living for?

I've tried so hard to figure this one out... Spending countless hours, that I should have spent sleeping, working out in my head. Finding solutions, comparing solutions found by others. The only problems is that none of them seem to hold up when you reason them down enough. Not a single God damned one. So, either I lack the capability to find the meaning of life (an entirely likely possibility) or there isn't one (it seems just as likely). So, if the second option is true, it makes some degree of sense to seek our own purpose, and find our own meaning for life. (Actually that doesn't make much sense at all, but when there is nothing else and it pleases the irrational parts of our brain to indulge, why not do so?) Of course, being the way that I am, I don't feel that any purpose I could assign life would be complete enough, or meaningful enough, to warrant that I follow through with it. So, for the moment, I'm not really living for anything...

Why?

For both answers, because I can't find a logical reason to really do anything at all. At the most basic level that I can reason, none of the things that we fill our lives with make any sort of real sense. So, forgoing a well thought out reason for it all, why not satisfy the baser impulse that drives us forward in our daily lives? Not sex and food of course, but the base impulse that makes us want to have reason and purpose in our lives, even if it's fabricated. So... yeah... that's why, because logic fails beyond a certain depth, whereas impulsion (a real word?) doesn't seem to...

Edit: looking at it in the actual post it doesn't look as long winded as it felt when writing it. As such I retract my apology. Meh.

It's nothing too major, it's just a few loops that one runs into when carring it further. You know now though, I'm not certain whether I can really refute what's in here....hmmm leme see.

Well firstly to say that you have concern for others is logically to say that you are vested in their well being becuase, in all simplicity, you like society and see it as a thing worth living with. Now this, however, is a vast assumption based on the fact that I think you are human and that I think you process things in a way fairly similarly to myself. Indeed it could be that you have some inner motivation that drives you to help people simply becuase you are concerned for all of them, but I doubt that very much - seeing as if you did you probably would be out there directly helping those in need, and not talking to me. This is not to say that we cannot be selfless, only that usually, so far as I know, we consider ourselves as part of the big picture.

Ispofacto, I have some reason to believe that you are in-fact living for yourself and that the others you speak of are simply part of a fabric which you enjoy as much as the next man. This is just a guess of logic though, and quite possibly not true.

oh well. This is just silly reasoning, you know. I hope you don't get mad at me if any of it is off the mark, and indeed I hope you correct me; for I may gain more that way.

Now logically there is no meaning of life; life is and that is all we can say about it. There is no proof to say that we have some sort of higher purpose, nor that there is any purpose to anything at all - none that I can see anyways. Notably this would be very boring, and humans give all they can meaning. Indeed, if we did not do so we would not have letters and numbers and so on. The things that humans make can mean things to other humans, just for the very fact that we are all human.

This being said, it follows that life means what we make it mean. This is fairly simple, and in my opinion quite sensible. This should not be what you concern yourself with though, for anyone can see that humans can make up their own reasons. Far more pressing a question then these reasons is why we choose our reasons.

There are many answers to these as well, but from what I've found, and in my own opinion, we continue on because we want happiness and love.

Those are the best two things I can think of and if nothing else, they are why I live and give reason to things.

It follows from this that I can think of two very good reasons for doing things. Whether other people see this though, is entirely up to them. Whether these people are right or wrong in ignoring me or giving me any heed at all, is a mystery to me.

~~~

Edit I: it seems that you move along the same lines without elaborating as much as I did (doing so in the "impulses" bit of your "why" statement. Ah well. Also, the only refuting I did was to the first section and even that may have been wrong.

Edit II: Basically, you do what you want. This, however, seems to be a far more troubling statement then the reason of life - from what I've seen anyways. ^_^

Sorry for taking so long to reply (and for accidentally posting only the quoted part of this message at first in case you saw that before I fixed it...)
It hadn't acctually ever occurred to me, what you said in the first part. It's definitely something to consider... It makes a lot more sense than my way of looking at it anyway.
As for the rest of it, you are about right in saying that we were thinking along the same vein but you elaborated more. Where you said that we want happiness and love for example; when trying to find a reason for it all, I had thought that the pursuit of happiness was a viable goal, until I asked myself "Why happiness?" And I couldn't find any logical reason. The only thing that I had was that I enjoyed the emotion at a basic level, which doesn't seem to be a very good reason to me (unless you say that one should be allowed to pursue what they enjoy, in which case the line of logic loops forever, or until you run out of ways of saying "do what makes you happy because it makes you happy") So I began to look for a logical reason to live. Not a meaning of life, or at least I didn't really see it that way while looking, just something that I could devote my life to. Something supported by logic rather than impulses and emotion. It was there that I became dismayed, because, as (I think) I said, when we reason the things we live for down far enough, they lose meaning outside of emotion. So, the best answer that I could come up with was that, since there was no "real" reason to live, I would have to settle for something emotional. In other words, allow the absolute base motivations of my actions to remain emotional rather than trying to conjure logical ones. See?

and then, the loop is not a loop if you subistute want for happiness, in the statement "do what you want becuase it makes you happy."

What is a loop, however, is that you want happiness. On the other hand the loop may be broken down and linearized if you assume that wants come on something of a hiarchy and that the yern for happiness is a base want and all other wants catagorized to fulfill that are needs (as a need is to fulfill a want) and further other needs to fulfill those wants. With this reasoning we stop at happiness when breaking down our motivation in life.

Happiness is, as is generally agreed upon, the most desirable of the said emotions you mentioned, and can be seen as something which we all generally enjoy - such that it is something that is not triggered by sexual impulses and such that it is self imposed by yourself in a large part. Thus, I further your logic, and point out a contradiction only braught to light when my logic is, that while we govern ourselves and our actions by emotions, and I indeed agree with you on that point (..if you made it..) it is infact happiness that we strive for, and thus happiness which is our reason for "doing".

Not to mix science and logic but it has been suggested that some chemical imbalence MAY be the cause of unhappiness in some cases, for the most part though it is mostly your choice, or so thinks I. Notably depression is a hard thing to beat and may indeed be triggered chemically if logic does not prevail, such is a fickle argument though as there are some occassions where we do not wish to be happy even at the most basic of levels (For instance: when a loved one dies.) What this hints to though, is beyond what I know.

~~~

hehe that was fun, whether you decide my logic fallible or astute. On a closing note I would like to point out that when it comes down to it, past logic, we really make our own meaning of life. Whether this meaning will be more refined then the one I have found, or whether it will better suite the one I have found, subconcsiously, I cannot say.

(by the way, are you still including yourself in the collaborative or are you too busy? It's fine either way, as I am already stretching myself out to even come on this message board and I would understand if you went by the later.)

I may not be looking at it correctly, but I don't really see how that differs from what I said, except that you said the search for motivation can stop at happiness, where I said that there is nothing beyond the emotional motivations to search for... Essentially the same thing, I think.
Of course, I had the thought that the idea that one needs a motivation other than emotion might be a product of certain emotions anyway... which would mean that the search is self-defeating...
I feel that there may be some piece of logic I have missed here (Dunno why, just a feeling) So If you see that I have, I'd appreciate it if you would point it out...
Anywho, Yeah, I'm still up for the collaborative. Assuming we are all still going to do it, that is.  

lidless_i

NovaKing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:00 pm
lidless_i
NovaKing
lidless_i
NovaKing
lidless_i
Who am I living for?

What are you living for?

Why?

~~~

~~~

I may not be looking at it correctly, but I don't really see how that differs from what I said, except that you said the search for motivation can stop at happiness, where I said that there is nothing beyond the emotional motivations to search for... Essentially the same thing, I think.
Of course, I had the thought that the idea that one needs a motivation other than emotion might be a product of certain emotions anyway... which would mean that the search is self-defeating...
I feel that there may be some piece of logic I have missed here (Dunno why, just a feeling) So If you see that I have, I'd appreciate it if you would point it out...
Anywho, Yeah, I'm still up for the collaborative. Assuming we are all still going to do it, that is.

Indeed, Indeed, I was just refining ^_^

Notably the only difference was, in-fact, that I said it broke down to happiness as being what we thrived for. Further I proposed a system in which wants didn't enter into a loop, that may not have had any corrilation to what you said though...

Oh and I'm agreeing with you I suppose, only I'm saying we have a tendency to want happiness more then the other emotions, and in light of that draw motivation from that want.

No matter. I may be wrong, I'm just postulating.

Again thank you for the prompt. I enjoy myself.

~~~

The collaborative is still on, and general outline has been posted for scrutiny.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:07 pm
Alrighty Then... This sentence is to keep this post from being too short... Yeah.  

lidless_i

Oukow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:30 pm
I live for those who make me feel happy, free, and myself. The people who complete me, and the people who make me sane. I'm living for the who's named 'love', 'happiness', 'adventure, 'friendship', 'laughter' and 'journey'.

I'm living for the tomorrow, what can and will be brought forward- the excitement and the adventure, for the love and hate, the emotions buried and stories yet to be read, written and told. The song that must be heard. For the better day that comes. For the joy in my heart, and the strange feeling in my heart when talking with him. I'm living for the acknowledgment that everyone will still be here the next day in my heart.

Why I live is still unsure, perhaps because I know if I wait, and seek I will be given happiness, whether it be for a moment, or years? But the true answer is why do you ask why? For the same reason for my why, perhaps? To see what'll happen, to be told an answer, because of curiosity, and wonderment.

I live because I want to, whether I just had myself- I'd live for the day to have someone, and why is because I fear death, no matter how many times I hear of it, or wonder of it, think of it, want it, try to convince myself of it, see it, laugh at it, say I am not afraid of it. Life is like the sun to me, as the time grows to it's ending, the moon will rise out. And when my sun disappears, and the moon comes out, then I won't be able to answer your interesting/making me wanna rant questions, Kirby.

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff