Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Youth Alive Christian club... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:27 pm
Wow, how pathetic. I have no problems like this around here.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:47 pm
Heh, when I was in high school I was in one of those types of clubs, unfortunately. It was full of extremely bigoted Southern Baptists and Methodists mostly (not to say that all Southern Baptists and Methodists are bigots; many of them are quite levelheaded and tolerant). We met every single day during our ten minute break between classes. The majority of us were extremely prejudiced against nonchristians, though we self-righteously convinced ourselves that it was not prejudice, but some sort of 'holy disdain' of their actions or some s**t. We also met outside of school for Bible studies, and some of our teachers (public school teachers, no less) would sit there and preach to us, "teaching" us things such as "Mormonism is a cult and they're not really Christians, even though they believe in the Bible and in Jesus." It was terrible. In 11th grade British Lit, we were all asked to give a summary of a British book or series that we found interesting. I, as a Christian at the time, chose to discuss Harry Potter and the moral lessons that can be found in it. My teacher was all for it and enjoyed the discussion, but a few people in the class (same ones from the club I was in) jumped down my throat, denouncing it as Satanic even after I'd outlined all of the good morals (congruent with Christianity, even) found in the series.

I'm now finishing up my BA in music, and this kind of attitude still exists in the music school I attend now - a place where you'd think there would be mostly liberals and thinkers, rather than blind fundies who see themselves as modern day disciples or something. There are quite a few Christian groups on campus that, through the years I've been there, have tended to do things like spam every single student at the university with invites to their meetings. Life With a Purpose is one that really gets my goat, as if those of us who don't believe in the Christians' god can't possibly have a purpose in life. There are some other student groups that aren't directly affiliated with the university who lure people in with free lunches and dinners, then push Christian activities and church on them, including asking for contact info so they can spam them as well. Most of these people also include extensive testimonials on their Facebook profiles, usually saying that their lives would mean nothing without god and that morality would be nonexistent too.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers