Speak

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:40 pm
Has anyone read this book? I'm sure some of you have, it's fairly well-known. It is SSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO powerful!!! The issues it talks about aren't usually addressed in books like this and it is so realistic! I absolutely loved it, even though fantasy is my main interest. It was definitely different.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:02 pm
I've read it, and a few others by Anderson. I really like her writing!  

serephemeral
Crew

Amethyst Heaven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:19 pm
Oh, I love this book!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:44 pm
I read the book in my freshman year for school.

However, it was banned for mentioning "rape" @.@ It's ridiculous house they're censoring the literature in the schools.  

Aurora Tate

irock708

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:43 pm
Aurora Tate
However, it was banned for mentioning "rape" @.@ It's ridiculous house they're censoring the literature in the schools.

BWAHAHAHA. That IS ridiculous. If they're going to ban this book for the mention of the word "rape" then To Kill a Mockingbird should be banned, too. Geez, censorship is so stupid *shakes head*

But, anyways.

I've heard a LOT about this book, but I don't know what the book ITSELF is about. Anyone mind telling me what it's about?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:17 pm
I haven't read it for a while, so this will be short. It's basically about a girl who was raped at a party during the summer before her freshman year in high school. She called the cops on the party, but nobody else knew why.Because of it, she lost all of her previous friends and tried to shut everyone out. She basically became a mute and kept her secret bottled up inside of her. It's really good. I don't want to say anything else or it will give it away... It's a fairly short read.  

penandpaper67
Captain

Sapphire7782

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:26 am
Loved it; it made me cry.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:11 pm
I read it last July.
I really enjoyed it.
I saw a frsehman who rides my bus bringing it with her. I admired this girl, so I had to get it out.
The really weird part is though, the freshman who was reading it was JUST liek the main girl in the book. (I forget the girl in the book's name.. )

quirk rays

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:31 pm
My Rainbow Puke
I read it last July.
I really enjoyed it.
I saw a frsehman who rides my bus bringing it with her. I admired this girl, so I had to get it out.
The really weird part is though, the freshman who was reading it was JUST liek the main girl in the book. (I forget the girl in the book's name.. )

It's Melinda. And I just saw the movie. It's pretty good, but I think the book conveys the message better.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:48 pm
I saw this in Borders a while ago and wanted to buy it... unfortunately, I had no money and Mom wasn't going to lend me any. xD

It's defiantly on my 'to read' list... I'll probably get it from the library.  

Collote
Crew

Grape Expectations

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:17 am
Every freshmen in my school has read this. Thankfully it hasn't got banned and I loved the book. If only my art class was like the main characters....  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:04 pm
I bought this with my gift card for Borders and read it a couple of days ago.

It was amazing!

I was reading some of the extra stuff in the back... and most of the guy fans didn't understand why it was such a big deal that Melinda got raped. I can sort of see why they think that... but I was still shocked to hear that.

I'm hoping I'll be able to rent the movie soon...  

Collote
Crew

Loveless Tale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:38 pm
ooh loved this book; i also read her other work, twisted, which was also really nice.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:44 pm
irock708
Aurora Tate

BWAHAHAHA. That IS ridiculous. If they're going to ban this book for the mention of the word "rape" then To Kill a Mockingbird should be banned, too. Geez, censorship is so stupid *shakes head*

But, anyways.

I've heard a LOT about this book, but I don't know what the book ITSELF is about. Anyone mind telling me what it's about?

Actually To Kill a Mockingbird was banned a long time ago. It ended up being deemed a classic and allowed back in schools. But I agree censorship is stupid. Speak is inspirational and educational in the sense that it teaches readers that they need to speak up about rape and other things that happened to them. It's pathetic how quick schools will censor something without realizeing its importance.  

Bandele

readtobreathe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:54 pm
Speak is an absolutely amazing book. Melinda's growth of character from the beginning to the end is so incredible. It was nearly impossible for me to not cry. The storyline is fantastic... painful, real. Everyone should read "Speak".  
Realistic Fiction

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games