Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
Mass PM'ing for Captains - only

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

We don't want just anyone to have the right....
  Hey- that's a great idea!
View Results

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:39 am
I just asked DJ Helsing, one of the premiere Gaian programmers why they can't reintroduce the mass pm program with a modification that would allow only guild captains the right to mass pm their membership!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:06 pm
This seems to come up a lot on the Site Feedback, we've been promised it for a long time.

Good to see Gaia is delivering ...

*eye roll*

PL  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:04 pm
~I can slay my own dragons, I can dream my own dreams.~

It's a blessing... and a curse. In the wrong hands, it could get out of hand easily. But then, I suppose people will stop joining guilds just to join a guild.

~My knight in shining armor is me.~

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:35 pm

In the wrong hands people would quit the guild and that's why any feature to disallow guilds PMs is pointless.

I can easily see poll guilds getting paid to put links to threads, other guilds, shops... ect, in thier letters. But since the gold update and the decreasing ammounts, those guilds aren't very usefull, so if done incorrectly people would just quit the guild. If they wanted to be in a gold guild, they just find one of the thousands of others.

From the first post, it appears that we have yet to recieve a reply.

I bet you'll get the same reply the admin give us, maybe in the fall. However, that is likely just when we'll get our devs back, and to get an update worth anything we will need to be patiant and wait for a few months. My guess is that we'll be assholes and they'll give us a half-baked feature or five, and they'll all suck and be riddled with problems.

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

churrlo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:27 pm
I second what metallic says blaugh And I feel that captains of the larger guilds are surely more responsible and wouldn't abuse the system... I would hope anyways gonk  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:14 pm
That's why I requested that only Guild Captains be given the priviledge of making those mass pm's. I don't want regular crew members to have the ability to make the mass pm'ing.  

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

churrlo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:49 pm
I agree, I don't see how it'd be a problem. Or perhaps a system through which they could appear as a heading at the top of the page, like when you get new messages or there is an announcement and it pops up in a little bubble.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:11 am
churrlo
I second what metallic says blaugh And I feel that captains of the larger guilds are surely more responsible and wouldn't abuse the system... I would hope anyways gonk

Accually, I was trying to say that big guilds are more likly to abuse it, like as a way to make gold, by getting paid to send out a guild PM with links to threads and shops.

However, a fee that charges per member in the guild, instead of a set rate every time you send one out, would raise the cost of advertising, and as I said before, the members could just quit the guild if they cared, forcing guild captains to think and make the PM correctly.

I highly doubt the devs would ever allow a non captain/VC to send the PMs.

If they come out with an option to not recieve the PMs I will be voicing my complaints. Especailly if it's just captians and VCs able to send them, to get annoied by the guild PMs, and asking them to not do it so much doens't work, it's not a guild that that person should be in, especailly since each guild is an anarchy and if you don't like the king(captain) you can't really enjoy the guild.

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

churrlo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:29 pm
This would be a PERFECT thing to use guild funds for! All we can do with the guild funds (not on the mule but on the actual guild) is make more subforums, what else would we do with the money? Charging per member would be a good way to limit the use of it.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:29 am
OK -charge the guilds for using the mass pm system- it will limit the number of pm's sent.
Maybe I should suggest that to the developers!  

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

churrlo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:16 pm
Tell them to use the money in the guild banks which is pretty much useless to us anyways xd  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:46 am

I like 5g per member per PM. So if a guild had 15 members, and the captain didn't omit anyone (assuming we can) the cost from the guild account would be 75g. Not bad, and I liked how a lot of people were whining about this amount.

1K members = 5K gold to send out the PM

10K members = 50K gold.

(The 10K+member guilds tend to have a TON of gold in the guild accoutn any way.)

I think the hesitation of implimenting this, is it would be using gold that has basically left gaia (gold sink) but it's not like it's coming back, and I sure just enough guilds would abuse this when it comes out, too fast for the members to imediatly quit, and quickly deplete the guild funds.

As I said before, I'm extremely against a profile option to not recieve guild PMs. If someone can't just ask the captain to stop, or come to an agreement with the captain, they shouldn't be in the guild because guilds are anarchys and require all people in it to get allong to some extent, or just lurk/never enter the guild.

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

Resources & Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces