Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Pope introduces new sins Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:59 pm
Purgatory, in the Catholic sense, is both a place for the good people who were, nevertheless, not Christian, and a place where all mortal souls, except for saints, go before moving to heaven. Being that no person is entirely without sin, those souls remain there for a time in a mildly harsh, but not at all punishing environment in order to repent for sins on earth.

Indulgences, supposedly, would "bail you out" of part of that purgatory sentence.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
Purgatory, in the Catholic sense, is both a place for the good people who were, nevertheless, not Christian, and a place where all mortal souls, except for saints, go before moving to heaven. Being that no person is entirely without sin, those souls remain there for a time in a mildly harsh, but not at all punishing environment in order to repent for sins on earth.

Indulgences, supposedly, would "bail you out" of part of that purgatory sentence.

Ah...is that how it is.

Regardless, it's a sick concept. Pay money to get to Heaven faster. stare

Sanguvixen

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:02 pm
Mhmm.

It's even laughable how they justify it. Google the phrase "Vault of Merits."  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:04 pm
Tenth Speed Writer

Thank you for clarifying.  

Arios V

Kurai Keiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:47 pm
I particularly liked the "not causing social injustice" one. So, you can't support homosexuality, but if you hinder their rights, you're also sinning? Lol. Someone hasn't been going to Sunday School. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:10 am
This reminds me of one of Richard Dawkins atheistic documentaries The Root of All Evil?. In one of the parts of the movie he had stated how the doctrine of the "Ascension of Mary" was adopted into the Christian faith by the authority of the Pope during the time, whose name I have forgotten. There was never any mention of the "Ascension of Mary" inside the Bible.

It clearly shows how people blabber anything out of their mouths without reason. It became a rumor that spread out between the Catholics, and eventually tradition, and then eventually it turned into a doctrine. However, I believe, as an atheist, that this is absolute heresy that the Catholic Church has committed. Actually, it is Orthodox in this case, since it's a doctrine, however, when I say "heresy" I do not mean "not following conventionally accepted Church/Temple/Creed doctrine", but rather, not consistent with the Bible, which the Church was build upon. It's ridiculous. Where did you get this conclusion if not by your official and main Holy Scripture? Nowhere, yet Catholics (generalization) believe in it, despite its theological dishonesty. The doctrine of Faith is influential in the acceptance of doctrines made by Church authorities. Since most people who revere there "God" and religion do it based on faith, anything powerful religious authorities, that control the Church doctrine and religious creed of a certain group, is believed by them through the concept of showing religious faith. Either that, or a schism. Nonetheless, this is one of the reasons why I think religion, with faith and excessive dependence on authority thus, is potentially dangerous.

It also really lowers credibility for religion, in my eyes.  

dawnofthelight

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:10 pm
Wow, that's quite... inventive? imaginative? stupid? Or, better yet, all of the above. They just lost quite a hunk of my remaining religious respect, which has been chipped away at bit by bit over the years, and is now starting to look like... a stone tile.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff