The Catcher in the Rye Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Volatile Rainbow

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:32 am
Volatile Rainbow
A Catcher in the Rye is my all-time favorite book. I recommended it to all of my friends and they couldn't get through it because they hated Holden Caulfield so much. sad

I don't know. Quite a few of my friends are readers, but I suppose they are more of a...modern sort? Er. Meaning that they read the books that are popular and new, usually current bestselllers. The Twilight series, that sort of thing. And there's definitely (in my experience) no character like Holden Caulfield in modern literature. xd

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the classics, and Catcher in the Rye ranks in my all-time favorites. Has anyone read any of Salinger's other books? I loved Franny and Zooey, too.  
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:19 pm
I'd like to read more of J.D. Salinger's stuff... Lol I'm gonna be so busy over summer XD

But that sucks about your friends disliking Catcher in the Rye, though... I have friends who don't even LIKE to read, yet they loved Catcher in the Rye D:  

irock708

Volatile Rainbow

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:22 am
Well, if you liked Catcher in the Rye, you should check out a book called A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Tool. The writing style is entirely different, but the main character Ignatius reminds me of an older, crazier Holden. Unfortunately, Tool has no other published novels; even Confederacy was published post-humously.  
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:36 am
Hm, really? Darn. Well, I'll try to keep that in mind the next time I'm at the library... I already have so much to read x.x''  

irock708

Tsuki_Hana_Chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:40 pm
I just finished it recently. I liked it a lot thought I wouldn't say it was one of my favorites. Some of the things Holden said just really annoyed me. I don't know. He just sounded stupid sometimes. It was just at a few parts though. Another thing that must have disappointed me about the book was that a friend from class said it was set in an asylum so I kept waiting for that part to come up.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:55 pm
Well, the thing about the book is, it's supposed to show how Holden is in-between being a mature adult and an immature teenager. I think that's why a lot of teenagers can connect. I know that many teenagers are on the borderline of becoming serious adults, but they also want to be stuck in the times of carelessness as a child. I know I feel the same way and so do a handful of my friends.

As for the asylum part, it's not really an asylum. It's more of a psychologist/psychiatrist. It's not explicitly stated, however, it is heavily implied.  

irock708

Sqweebers

5,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:31 pm
I've been interested in reading this book, but I can't find it in book stores. Any guess as to were it would be located in a library?
My library has a children section, teen/young adult section, and adult section and then each one is broken down according to however the library orders things  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:38 pm
Check if the library has a catalogue (which it SHOULD) and look in there. It really could be either in adult or young adult/teen. They probably actually have it in both.  

penandpaper67
Captain

Realistic Fiction

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas