Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Why are you unafraid/happy/etc?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When god gives you lemons...
  YOU FIND A NEW GOD!!
  ...make lemonade!
  ...make grape juice, and watch the world try to find out how you did it.
  ...throw them back and yell, "******** THIS, I DON'T LIKE LEMONS!!"
View Results

Teoka

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:46 pm
Christians often assert that we atheists should be afraid because we're rejecting their god's protection/love/umbrella of 1337, or that we're sad or should be depressed. So I'm here to ask: why are you unafraid, happy, and/or have a good life?

I believe very strongly that everyone has the power within themselves (figuratively speaking) to achieve their goals and have a productive life without the help of some supernatural being. When they surrender their will to such a deity, they waste what personal will they already have. We don't need to be reassured by a higher power. That what I like to think when I feel alone, helpless, or hopeless - I can do it on my own!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:37 pm
I am happy, because, on the whole, life is currently being decent to me. That is really what it comes down too.

The whole idea that religion is 'just a waste of personal resources' is idealist. One has to understand that religion does actually play a social and personal role. It is not something that can just be 'convinced' out of existence, or declared non-existant by a decree of law, but something which must be replaced. Not replaced by another religion, but by conditions which do not provide the soil for religion to develop:

Quote:
Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions.

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

OmG NoMoR3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:36 pm
GOD BERRY, KING OF THE JUICE!!!!

Well, my lack of faith lets me know that I'm no safer or less safe than any believer. I'm happy because at the moment, life is pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:06 am
There should be another option in the poll...
When life gives you lemons...
o ... find a kid with a papercut!

Anyway. I'm not afraid.
I'm perfectly happy as I am. Happier, actually, since I rejected religion. I can conform to myself, and not to ideals that hold no basis with my reality.  

Superior Jazz

Reichkovich

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:03 am
The assertion that having a God equates happiness is a bogus one at best. What I think is that at some point in life people begin to grow desperate to find a meaning to it all. It's just that most cop out and choose the easiest explanation offered by religion. Though to me, an out of date, ancient text that holds no weight in modern life, will never offer a fulfilling meaning. But hey, I'm not those people.

Anyway, Personally, I don't believe in there being any true meaning to life as religion would have you believe. Life only has meaning if you give it meaning and the most logical meaning I've come to give my life is to make the most positive impact on the world before I die.

There's a certain fulfillment that can only be achieved from making others smile and just being a nice person in general. Knowing that others care about you and would help you if you were in need, as a result of your own kindness towards them, is something I wouldn't trade for the world. The idea that you need to find a religion to achieve this is inane.

So, yeah... That's basically what keeps me going every day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:09 am
P.S. I also think another option should be added to the poll where you die while praying for something worthwhile from your God.  

Reichkovich

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:15 pm
Lol Powerthirst reference.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:48 am
User Image
Why am I happy? Oh, ********. By all means, I am not happy. I suffer from clinical depression and take like 10 pills a day. I am not ******** happy. But you know what? I go to my atheist psychologist and b***h about the neo-cons and the crazies and I feel a little better. And I may not be happy, but I know damn well that I'd be even more depressed if I had Jesus as my homeboy. I might be sad, but at least I'm not an addict like YOU. *points to fundies*  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:01 pm
I suffer from depression, anxiety, OCD, and I will find out soon if I also have ADD. That being said, I'm still a mostly happy kind of person, and I'm much happier than I was in high school, when my mother refused to take me to therapy on the grounds that it was my dad's fault I was ******** up and that it would hurt his feelings if I sought medical attention. In those days I developed an unhealthy obsession with thinking of dying and going to heaven and it helped me slide into a very dangerous type of religiousness that it's taken years for me to finally break out of.

I'm not worried about what happens later cos hell, I've already been through a lot of s**t, so it can't get too much worse, right? Plus, there's no way for me to know what, if anything, happens after I die... so why waste my life worrying about it? It creates unnecessary stress and takes away from the experience of living.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games