Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Café (General Chat)
Random Question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hydrogen Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:45 pm
Would ya'll consider paranormal fiction to be part of the occult ... you know werewolves, vampires, demons and psychics ... that sorta thing? Or is it just ... Paranormal ...

Like What is the difference btwn Paranormal and Occult, I guess is a better question... confused  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:08 pm
Arisu_Dilandau
Would ya'll consider paranormal fiction to be part of the occult ... you know werewolves, vampires, demons and psychics ... that sorta thing? Or is it just ... Paranormal ...

Like What is the difference btwn Paranormal and Occult, I guess is a better question... confused

Well, I wouldn't really consider fiction to be part of any religion or faith unless that fiction could in some way be used in occult practices (blah blah Necronomicon is fictional but useful blah).

Difference between the paranormal and the occult? I dunno, I think any distinction would be completely arbitrary, in all honesty.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Hydrogen Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:41 pm
Huh. So it depends on who you ask?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:53 am
Arisu_Dilandau
Huh. So it depends on who you ask?

Yes indeed. At least, that's my opinion. 3nodding  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Alba Lux

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:43 pm
Mitsh
Difference between the paranormal and the occult? I dunno, I think any distinction would be completely arbitrary, in all honesty.

The definition of "occult" and "paranormal" may vary from one school or philosophy to another.

I would dare say that the paranormal refers to the phenomena itself: the apparition of a ghost, for exemple; or at least, until "science" finds a way to explain it. For exemple, electricity was considered wizardry and magic until it was properly explained.

On the other hand, the "occult" may refer to that knowledge that remains hidden for the masses, even though nowadays it is not as hidden as it was in the past. You may find a copy of the Kybalion anywhere, on line or any printed copy, but... can you understand it? Therefore, its wisdom remains hidden.

Some people refer to the mystics as "occultists", other ones define "occultism" in such a restricted way that no mystic is a real occultist, but some one lost in the bliss of the mystic journey.

The only thing we can say for sure, right now, is that this is not a simple answer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:47 pm
Arisu_Dilandau

Not all fiction is truly based on real occult knowledge. Nevertheless, some fictional works, and myths do have occult backgrounds, since their authors knew enough occult wisdom to hide it.

Anyway, we can't just take these stories for granted, literally. Many of them are symbols of the inner journey or path that we must follow in order to evolve. So, it all depends on what you choose to read in those stories.

Alba Lux

Mistreena

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:05 pm
I've always thought of Paranormal to mean things that were mysterious and unknown - UFOs, spirits, demons, entities, that sorta thing, and Occult was kinda....the group of people using magic, I guess. That's just me watching a coupla TV shows and reading books to make my own definition though. I don't really know haha sweatdrop xd  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:21 pm
Maybe it's just me, but I've considered the occult to be a minorital religion or philosophy. The paranormal seem to be things that don't fit into mainstream scientific reasoning. What I think gets confusing is that the occult (as a generalized group or an individual follower) can go about reporting or supposedly causing the paranormal.  

silverncold196

6,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Pie Enabler 100
The Café (General Chat)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items