Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Kung fu site

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:30 am
Yarn Yee Tong Kung Fu Academy

I did (yet another) redesign of my kung fu school's site, because my old design was just not practical enough. Criticism anyone? The links don't go anywhere yet, I'm still writing the content 3nodding

This is the first layout that I used CSS extensively, and I am really loving the freedom of layers, and how neat my html looks with all the styling attributes taken out. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:52 pm
I have to try really hard to find something to critique, I love how it looks! One small thing I noticed is that the header has a pattern that abruptly ends. Perhaps it could fade out or continue through the whole image.

The navigation, to me, appears to want to be hanging like a banner. I don't know if a shadow would look good or just some sort of border to give it some distance/definition... tassels biggrin ? The future links in the nav look kinda lonely. Maybe a small symbol could appear when you mouse over each link, with or without the text changing color.

Custom defined scroll bar colors would help complete the theme as well. I congratulate you on your CSSing. I usually just give all my div tags a class attribute instead of an id. I'm sure it is better coding to do it the way you did but... I'm lazy sometimes.  

Hizzahn

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:26 pm
Thanks!

Yeah, the pattern on the header was kind of added in as an afterthought, so I still have to make it perfect... probably go with the fade in idea.

Great idea about the navigation as a banner! I'm just thinking of how I can do it without making it look tacky. I'm planning to have the Chinese character for each section of the navigation to appear behind the word as a hover effect, just gotta get my nice handy Chinese boyfriend to send the characters to me blaugh

I always seem to forget scrollbars, since I use Mozilla and custom scrollbars don't show up. I suppose I should put them in since most people seem to use IE... I'll add in all this stuff as soon as I get a spare second.

I'm not really sure what the benefit of using ids over classes is, but in the CSS book that I read, it said to use id's for something that you'll only use once, and classes for something used more than once... so I have my pullquotes as classes, and the rest as ids.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:01 pm
very nice ^_^ I like the way you added in the text and the general deasign... it's just a thought but the wite on the dragon in the header and the white of the page tend to blend, you might want to see wat a thin border would look like on that banner, however, the 2 horizontal lines that are there already look very nice, and may not look right with the border so if it looks funny with a border, then don't do it ^_^  

Raine Dragon

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200

K. Ueno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:30 am
this design looks much better than the previous one. very nicely organized and unified. i'm quite fond of the stationary bg image and the use of text wrapping around the images in your text. my only crit is the logo/image in that menu area. the red appears to be a different color than the rest of the red used in the site.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:34 am
Nyxx
this design looks much better than the previous one. very nicely organized and unified. i'm quite fond of the stationary bg image and the use of text wrapping around the images in your text. my only crit is the logo/image in that menu area. the red appears to be a different color than the rest of the red used in the site.
Hrmmm, it is the same red as the red banner, but the red I used for the links and subheading is lighter... I might try change it to that colour. Thanks for the comments! xd  

Chisa
Vice Captain

retrokitty

Fashionable Gawker

4,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:22 am
I love the look of this site! But the links don't work for me. I'm using IE. Are they supposed to work or was this an example layout?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:31 am
retrokitty
I love the look of this site! But the links don't work for me. I'm using IE. Are they supposed to work or was this an example layout?
They aren't supposed to work, since I haven't written the content yet sweatdrop I wanted to get people's opinions before creating the other pages. Thanks for the comments!

I think I'll get back to working on this site tonight...  

Chisa
Vice Captain

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces