Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Just because your atheist that means your all 'Grr!'?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mule 0_o

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:46 pm
Okay today I was in my study skills class and some of my friends started talking about religion and I happened to mention I was Atheist and my friend was like "Your Atheist?, So thats why your all like 'Grr!'" I was like what the ******** topic discussions:
- Are Atheists supposed to be all "Grr" just because their atheists?
- Why do people think that an Atheist are supposed to be that way?
- How the ******** did we get that stupid label?
- Anything else you wish to add in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:21 pm
Due to some of our louder members, people think that all atheists are pissy and angsty about something. I assure you though that being atheist does not mean you have to be "Grrr" all the time.

People assume that people who turn atheist turn that way because they are angry at life. It is from the truth. In reality there are all sorts of different reasons why people turn this way...and there are all sorts of people who do not care enough to be aware of the different reasons.

Sanguvixen

Mule 0_o

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:51 pm
Well I knew that already. I mean I chose to be Atheist for the fact that the whole religion thing, I found it stupid and pointless, I won't go into much more detail than that, but anyways, I think its stupid that people think someone goes all "Grr" over a religion, I mean I choose to go "Grr" For the fact I want to, but it doesn't make sense to me that my friend thought I was all "Grr" for the fact that I am Atheist.

Sorry if I'm blabbering. xD
I just thought I would share this experience with the Guild.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:12 pm
Wow, that's retarded.  

Faeletti

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:33 am
Wow, you take a study skills class. I wish I had that, they just expected me to go on and do. But onto the "Grr!", that's not a horrible label. Out of all the labels I like it the best, because to me it means that you can take on all comers. I mean, it's better than being labeled the denizens (I think I used that right) of society, the cause of all the death and corruption of the world.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:50 am
@ Faeletti: Agreed.

@ Levis Pennae: Yeah, I was kinda told to go to that class, so I'm here, I mean its not like we actually learn anything in there, we just do homework from other classes. But anywho, yeah I suppose it is, but it pissed me off that my friend just automatically gave me that label...

Mule 0_o

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:59 am
The Hidden Assassin
Well I knew that already. I mean I chose to be Atheist for the fact that the whole religion thing, I found it stupid and pointless, I won't go into much more detail than that, but anyways, I think its stupid that people think someone goes all "Grr" over a religion, I mean I choose to go "Grr" For the fact I want to, but it doesn't make sense to me that my friend thought I was all "Grr" for the fact that I am Atheist.

Sorry if I'm blabbering. xD
I just thought I would share this experience with the Guild.

It's okay to feel "Grr" when the time is appropriate. I felt plenty of "Grr" on Friday, because the Zealot that I thought had been run off the campus came back, with a sign on his back saying "You are all going to hell" and sign in his hand dealing with the people that he thinks his God will judge negatively.

I just...get a bit angry seeing him there...because I know that he represents a pretender Christian. I try to not let it get to me. I know the "if you ignore it it will go away method" will not work because he is like a stuck pixel in our open campus. I have a feeling though that ignoring him is the best thing to do.

Some people (atheists) are unable to do that...and that is why your friend might have assumed that you should be "grr" about everything because of the ones out there who are.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:54 pm
Wow Sanguvixen, thats some really good advice/ info. Thanks, and that dude with the sign would have pissed me off also. xD

Mule 0_o

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:56 pm
The Hidden Assassin
Wow Sanguvixen, thats some really good advice/ info. Thanks, and that dude with the sign would have pissed me off also. xD

You're welcome.

That guy has pissed off a lot of people. He has it's right to free speech and all, but he really is abusing it. It reminds me of a song that Voltaire came out with called "God Thinks"....if any of you get a chance, Youtube it for the full version of the song.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:41 pm
Most religious people have been told that we are atheists because we have turned from god in anger or frustration, and they assume that we are filled with anger and hate. They use the fact that we fight for our rights as "evidence" of our "anger."

Religious dominance in the west is fading. As it fades, atheists and free-thinkers will continue to fight for cultural and legal equality, and - just as has been done with feminists, people of colour and gays - the dominant culture will continue to use that fight as "proof" that we are "hostile" in order to reinforce their dominance and dismiss our legitimate concerns.

Some people feel it's important not to make waves for that very reason. They think that it's a bad idea to reinforce the stereotype of "bitchy feminist" or "hostile black guy" or "whiny homosexual" or "angry atheist." This is how the stereotypes work, they scare us away from voicing our opinions or standing up for ourselves. It's hegemony.

As atheists, we have legitimate concerns about religion and its hold on the cultures we live in. We have the right and personal responsibility to stand up for ourselves, to share our views and to be as vocal about our beliefs as the religious are about theirs. Go and wear a sign too, be an alternate view, atheist "stuck pixel" on your campus. When religious people try to play the "malcontent" card, that is when you ignore them and continue speaking, calmly, rationally and honestly... that is how you resist that stereotype. If you allow yourself to be silenced by it, you are giving it power it doesn't deserve.  

WritelySo

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:10 pm
Avoir Le Retour...
Hahaha... I've never heard that response before. Well, I'm actually not 'grr' at all. I'd consider myself a very calm person lol. It's just like every other stereotype that comes along: An Atheist gets angry and says something, then it generalizes all Atheists...
...Les Adieux

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:12 pm
People who say that just make me all grrr. xp  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:32 pm
Grrrr... I hate illogical things. Grrrr... I Religion is illogical. Grrrrrrr...I hate religion. Grrrr... I hate Fundies.  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:33 pm
Missour, jou ar neked! Hack-ed?  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Kidrahs

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:19 am
We should'nt hold the title of"Grrr", Religious Zealots should. They are the mean ones! crying  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games