Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
How serious can you take your avatar?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HAITHERE
  hey ;0
  I'd rather not reply, it's against my morals.
View Results

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:35 pm
I saw a signature today with the following disclaimer:

"Please ignore the Demonbow.
I follow God, but this item matches my avatar perfectly."

Okay. I was confused for a moment. xD I've never connected an avatar to religious views. Even though we have some modern items, avatars to me still seem separate and more fantasy characters. You can't trust an avatar's gender to be the same as the poster. Why even try to get into religion?

Discuz; gaia, avatars and religion
(Would it be blasphemous to wear a halo?)  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:27 am
I agree, it's kinda loopy to connect an avatar to anything other than a virtual fantasy. I think of it as an idiot proof art form in which you can express your true self, whether it be you irl, your fantasy, or godzilla.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Xiporah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:52 am
It is a bit silly to try and associate your religion with your avatar. I make mine demonic, angelic, and a mixture of the two all the time. Hell, in my mule roleplaying thread, Xiporah (my avatar that is) is actually a rather powerful member/leader of a cult that worships a horned fish named Fishtar that encourages his followers to 'booze and kick kittens' in his name and forbids followers to partake in 'meats of the sea.' She's a very bad follower and eats a lot of sushi, but she has a spiffy costume and everyone is too drunk to remember what a bad leader she is.

How's that for Gaia, Avatars and Religion?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:50 pm
My three-eyed trap jawed avatar could so take on Fishtar domokun
That's a good point though, I know a lot of people who have different accounts to dress up and represent different characters. But I guess if it bothered you then your role play characters would all be the same religion. ;0  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:18 pm
That's just lame beyond reasonable belief. I don't really have much of a comment.

I wear angelic stuff quite often and I'm pretty sure it doesn't make me religious. xd

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:28 pm
I agree that it's ridiculous, but for someone who's had the literal FEAR of their god drilled into their head... it's not all that farfetched. In my most indoctrinated days, I went so far as to throw out any CDs that contained what I felt was "gratuitous cussing," and I used to get nervous about being smote when I played video games that contained gods and goddesses, etc. This person is probably a victim of his/her church. :/  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Koravin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:36 pm
Woah, that's really weird. Avatars mean nothing. People need to get a clue.  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:38 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
I agree that it's ridiculous, but for someone who's had the literal FEAR of their god drilled into their head... it's not all that farfetched. In my most indoctrinated days, I went so far as to throw out any CDs that contained what I felt was "gratuitous cussing," and I used to get nervous about being smote when I played video games that contained gods and goddesses, etc. This person is probably a victim of his/her church. :/
I know what you mean. I was a victim of the church too. Indoctrination is insidious.  

Koravin

WritelySo

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:49 pm
The great and amusing and infuriating thing about religious belief is that it is irrational. The saying goes: "you can't use logic to convince someone away from a strongly held belief that they did not use logic to arrive at" or words to that affect. Similarly, if you want to understand their anxieties, then you need to think in emotional terms... they are convinced that there's some sky fairy watching their every move, and that if they don't do what said sky fairy does, they will burn in hellfire for all eternity, but if they do what he wants, they will get to see all their dead loved ones for all eternity and have their wildest dreams come true. Talk about strong motivation to be annoying, judgmental and preachy numbwits. eek  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:06 pm
Avoir Le Retour...
Oh come on... Honestly, people take things way too far.
...Les Adieux

Aaron Lee Morrison

Kidrahs

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:24 am
How you dress or portray your Avatar does'nt always portray you yourself. Just because I sometimes play as a Cleric in D&D, does'nt meen I im a religious guy(Im quite the oppesite, as I am an Atheist who plays D&D.).  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:19 pm
I actually keep seeing this. Here's another.

"Four Horsemen: EVIL! I think that one is actually against my religion. Any avi who wears it is plagued with nightmares and demons."  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Mr woman

5,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:09 pm
wtf?
its a bunch of pixels for ******** sake.
its not your religious badge or some s**t.

i mean, my avatar might represent my crossdressing, smoking, brothel obsessed self, but its like like its supposed to.
dude, thats just silly.

INTERNET IS NOT SERIOUS BUSINESS.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:10 pm
My avatar has given me a boner more than once but usually it's just a spoof of myself. It's only when it get's serious that I get a bone for my tiny pixelated self. I've always had a clone or twin brother ******** fetish so, meh. But yeah, usually it's just a spoof of my feelings soul or actual appearence. For example, I'm feeling very high and mighty right now hence the emporers crown and I'm also feeling very angry hence all the flames.
Edit: My avatar is about to change so disregard, everything I say, ever. emo  

Dirty Dirty Shisno

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces