Reply Home
Political Olympics?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady_Elainee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:05 pm
As the 2008 Olympics draw near, controversy and talk of boycott become more heated. If you don't know what all the controversy is about, here is a short overview:

Beijing, China has been chosen as the site for the 2008 Olympics, but China is becoming ever so unpopular for it's conflict with Tibet. The Beijing government forcibly broke up peaceful demonstrations by Tibetan Buddhist monks and violated human rights. Tibet wishes to be free of Chinese rule but China refuses to give up their power. During the passing of the Olympics torch in every nation, demonstrators have voiced their sympathies for Tibet and called for a boycott of the Olympics.

My question is whether or not the Olympics should have anything to do with the political conflicts.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:56 pm
I'm not sure what to think about all that. The Olympics being an international gathering meant to promote peace, it might be dangerous to tie it to political messages. Then again the protests for a freer Tibet have a message that needs to be heard, and using the Olympics related media attention protesters are getting their message across. The protestors probably should be out there protesting. I don't think any nation should force a boycott of the Olympics though, but maybe individual athletes should choose not to go?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

SequoiaSeeds

Nasuko-San
Crew

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:34 am
The Olympics and politics go hand in hand.

Look at various points in history. Berlin, 1936. Hitler wants to propagate the Master Race. What better place than the Olympics? When a black man, Jessie Owens, completely destroyed the Aryans in his race, Hitler was furious.

Moscow, 1980. The United States boycotts the Olympics because we can be pricks at times and didn't want to go into a Communist country, and because the Russians invaded Afghanistan the year before.

And now this year. But I don't think anybody's going to do jack-crap about it. It's coming up pretty quick, and I'm pretty sure we would've boycotted a while ago.  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:21 pm
Munich V2.0 maybe? Probably not as nearly extreme on the Tibetan parts (in relation to the PLO) but I can see them making some big political point during the games.  

GeneralFishSama

The Esper Terra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:55 pm
Let's not forget the black panthers.
These 3 african american athletes raising a hand with a black glove was very very symbolic (I cannot remember which olympic games it was)

Also, there is still huge rumors of political figures not being there at the opening ceremony.
That would send a message, without ruining the dreams of athletes who worked restlessly to reach their dream.

I'm all for that solution.

Gotta see if it will happens tho.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:22 pm
The Esper Terra
Let's not forget the black panthers.
These 3 african american athletes raising a hand with a black glove was very very symbolic (I cannot remember which olympic games it was)

Also, there is still huge rumors of political figures not being there at the opening ceremony.
That would send a message, without ruining the dreams of athletes who worked restlessly to reach their dream.

I'm all for that solution.

Gotta see if it will happens tho.

OH damn I always forget about that one. That's one of my favorite images in history. So powerful. SO silently defiant. I love it.  

GeneralFishSama

Home

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff