Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
How to break it to them...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Retarted Musician

4,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:33 pm
So, after being a Christian for the past thirteen years, I finally started thinking for myself and just realized that it all stopped making sense. I've told a few of my friends and such, but haven't quite found the courage to tell them. Plus, I have no idea how. My entire family are VERY religious, and I just can't tell them... But I know I have to.

Any advice?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:43 pm
-sigh-

'ello there?

anyone alive?

Retarted Musician

4,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:53 pm
Sorreh, it's a bit slow on th' weekdays, especially on Mondays... anywho.

Luckily for me, my parents aren't religious. Yeah, my mom believes in God, heaven, etc, but she's what I'd call hobby Catholic. Isn't religious in the sense that she goes to church or is completely enthralled by faith, but does hold some spiritual beliefs. I'm not too sure about my dad, but with him, I'd guess he's less of a Catholic. The only person I think I'd have to deal with is my aunt, because she is... in a word, conservative. I'll leave it at that.

But, I still think that I know enough to pass some common sense. First off, you're leaving much to the imagination here, so it's hard to tell specifically what kind of situation you are, but either way, I'd suggest you wait until you move out. You're only 13, so I know that you don't want to wait, especially considering that you still have 5 years before you're legally an adult, but if your family is as religious as you say, then unless you know for a fact that they'd be okay with you not being a Christian AND being an Atheist, I don't advise telling them just yet. If you want, and I do advise this, get them used to the idea of an Atheist family member. Don't just outright ask, "what would you think if someone in our family was Atheist?" because that can lead to be results, but just try to slowly inform them on Atheism and such.

Still though, you haven't said enough, so it could be that your family is very religious, but would love you no matter what, or it could be that your family is SO religious, that they'd kick you out for being Atheist. If you don't know yet, wait a while longer, carefully try to find out how they'd react and if they love you enough not to care.

So for now, basically, DON'T SAY s**t. It's a VERY real possibility that they'd kick you out or make your life a living hell if they found out that you're an Atheist, so even though you want to tell them and feel as if you must, wait. Believe me, it's for the best. I know how hard it is to keep a secret like being Atheist from your family (though, in my case, it's being bisexual), but as much as you want to tell them, it might not be the best idea.  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:09 pm
Personally, I'd tell my family. I told mine. They dealt with it. I'm close to my family though. Some Christians will become violent to atheists, even those that are family. It is a real possibility of physical and psychological danger, so it depends on your own situation. I doubt anyone could know your situation well enough to give good advice. Good luck.  

Koravin

Xiporah

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:26 am
Sorry, I was raised in a non religious household so people barely blinked when they found out.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:32 am
I talk to my evangelical christian family in terms of honesty. I tell them that I need to be honest, I don't believe this stuff. I let them know that I am not open to being proselytized to or prayed over, and that I am willing to explain in detail why I don't believe in gods or supernatural forces, but for the most part I leave it at "I am an atheist."  

WritelySo

Retarted Musician

4,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:06 pm
Thank you all so much...

but most to you, CaprinaePsi.

biggrin

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items