Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Share your Catholic school horror stories?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boxed_Jam

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:55 pm
Yes.
All my life, I've had to go to a Catholic school and lately, it's been driving me insane.
I have this religion teacher who I find rather insulting at times.
She'll make points about how those who do not believe in god are 'egotistical' and 'close-minded'. I feel mocked everytime I walk into religion class because of those comments. I mean...I don't insult her for her Catholicism; I don't go running up and down the halls of the school screaming that god doesn't exsist...I keep that to myself for the most part (to avoid being decapitated ^^").
How'd she find out?
Well, long story short: one of my friends told her.
She wasn't mad although she seemed ready to try and convert me.
I remember one time I didn't understand an aspect of a paper she was trying to get us to write and asked her for assistance and she told me, "Let you Catholicity shine through!"
Yea, that somewhat annoyed me.

It saddens me to be surrounded in such a close-minded society.
It's like when someone who thinks differently comes along, they all flip out...that's exactly what it's like within the Catholic school community.
It's brainwash.
Lastly (well not quite...I could actually b***h on for hours about how my school sort of enrages me) what pisses me off even more is people keep telling me to "Be respectful and believe!!!!"
My only response is: "Be respectful and shut up, please."
Also, manditory mass bothers me...you really do feel singled out when everyone goes up for communion. Really makes you realize that religion severs the concept of community in half.

So, anyhow, discuss:
-being Atheist in a religious school;
-or people just being offensive to you and your Atheism.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:14 pm
Well, I think everyone has been called a 'devil-worshiper'. Well, I know I have. Quite a few times, actually....

But I'll never forget one day, in theatre, our normal teacher was gone, so we have a sub, and it was just after I had told some people about me beliefs, so we were talking about it in a corner when she happened to walk by. I guess she overheard us because she suddenly swooped in and asked me, "You're an atheist?" Of course I said yes and she proceeded to lecture me for the next thirty minutes about the evils of my way and how my friends needed to pray for my soul and such.

And she ended it all with, ''Now honey, I respect your beliefs and all, but you need to know your making the wrong decision. Now here's a few books I want you to read so you know you evils of you ways."

I hate my highly religous town...

EDIT: Everytime my theatre teacher tells me that she's not going to be there the next day or something, I make sure to were and "Atheist and PROUD", "Oh my Science," and "I'm gonna be worm food..." pins. biggrin

Retarted Musician

4,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:41 am
Being made to pray aloud against gay rights.  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:37 am
None. I went to a public school. *Shrugs*

But what I don't understand, and no one has ever explained this to me. Why the ******** are catholic school girl skirts so short? There are some that ride the train in the morning and their thighs go on forever and ever and ever and ever. Wtf. Have some decency. You're 16.

And then the girls get all weird and b***h to one and other. "OMG that man is staring at us! What a perv! What a *****! Like god."

Gee, I don't know. Maybe it's because YOUR SKIRT BARELY COVERS YOUR ASSCHEEKS? Ever think of that sweetheart?

Xiporah

Redem

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:34 pm
I never had any problems at my catholic schools. None of the teachers, including the priests, was anything like the characters you guys describe.  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:53 pm
I never went to a religious school, though my public high school contained a particular teacher who was not shy about preaching to us out of turn. She was the prayer club sponsor, which meant that she was supposed to sit there and shut up while students ran the meetings. She was there to make sure nothing bad happened, like a fist fight or a big argument. Well, she preached about lots of things, but the one I really remember is when she got up there and proceeded to "teach" us that Mormons aren't Christians. It was highly offensive and I wish I'd not been so blinded by my Christian friends, because otherwise I'd have reported her.

As far as Catholic schools, my grandfather grew up in them and he never had such an experience that he's told me about. He always had teachers that were very knowledgeable and never pushed any beliefs on him that were unwelcome.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Edi Gammon

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:29 am
I went to a Roman Catholic school from K through 8th grade. Probably up until 4th grade I didn't think too much about anything I had been told. Then a new kid came to school whose mother was Catholic & father was Jewish. He and I became great friends. I guess he considered himself Jewish because he got out of having to do a lot of the things the rest of the kids had to do, as far as having to memorize prayers, and kneel or sing or take any sacraments in church when we had to go. We had a mix of nuns and lay people as teachers. Most of the nuns were very nice, a few of the older ones were grumpy at worst. For the most part the environment was really lax as far as discipline goes but they did a decent job with academics. I really don't have any horror stories, except that there was a lot of violent bullying that went on there, and it seemed that I was almost always on the receiving end of it. But I would guess that that kind of stuff goes on everywhere.  
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:32 am
Tenth Speed Writer
Being made to pray aloud against gay rights.
Dude, that sucks!  

Kidrahs

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces