Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Effectiveness of apologetics

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:02 pm
Let's talk about Christian apologetics/indoctrination practices, shall we?

I'll begin with a website that I found via the LiveJournal of an atheist-turned-Christian-turned-atheist-turned-Christian that I found through someone on my friends list. This person linked to this website as an explanation of what he now believes to be true.

I am confused as to how such a site is supposed to convince atheists such as us to turn from our "ebil godless evilutionist ways" and become slaves to an entity for whom we have no evidence.

Here, on the other hand, is a website that I have seen advertised on billboards around the Bible Belt, where I live. This one seems to be taking the fear route even more strongly. After perusing this site, I came across an excerpt from a book called God Doesn't Believe in Atheists, which irritatingly proves that the authors don't even realise what the words "atheist" and "agnostic" really mean, and uses the same old circular arguments that we've all heard ad nauseum. Here is a sampling of this excerpt:

God Doesn't Believe in Atheists
The Atheist Test
I don't believe in atheists. This isn't because I haven't met people who claim the title, but because such a person cannot be. Let's imagine that you are a professing atheist. I will ask you two questions: First, do you know the combined weight of all the sand on all the beaches of Hawaii? I think I can safely assume that you don't. This brings us to the second question: Do you know how many hairs are on the back of a fully grown male Tibetan yak? Probably not. I think, therefore, that it is reasonable for me to conclude that there are some things you don't know. It is important to ask these questions because there are some people who think they know everything.

Let's say that you know an incredible one percent of all the knowledge in the universe. To know 100 percent, you would have to know everything. There wouldn't be a rock in the universe that you would not be intimately familiar with, or a grain of sand that you would not be aware of. You would know everything that has happened in history, from that which is common knowledge to the minor details of the secret love life of Napoleon's great-grandmother's black cat's fleas. You would know every hair of every head, and every thought of every heart. All history would be laid out before you, because you would be omniscient (all-knowing).

Bear in mind that one of the greatest scientists who ever lived, Thomas Edison, said, "We do not know a millionth of one percent about anything." Let me repeat: Let's say that you have an incredible one percent of all the knowledge in the universe. Would it be possible, in the ninety-nine percent of the knowledge that you haven't yet come across, that there might be ample evidence to prove the existence of God? If you are reasonable, you will be forced to admit that it is possible. Somewhere, in the knowledge you haven't yet discovered, there could be enough evidence to prove that God does exist.

Let's look at the same thought from another angle. If I were to make an absolute statement such as, "There is no gold in China," what is needed for that statement to be proven true? I need absolute or total knowledge. I need to have information that there is no gold in any rock, in any river, in the ground, in any store, in any ring, or in any mouth (gold filling) in China. If there is one speck of gold in China, then my statement is false and I have no basis for it. I need absolute knowledge before I can make an absolute statement. Conversely, for me to say, "There is gold in China," I don't need to have all knowledge. I just need to have seen a speck of gold in the country, and the statement is then true.

To say categorically, "There is no God," is to make an absolute statement. For the statement to be true, I must know for certain that there is no God in the entire universe. No human being has all knowledge. Therefore, none of us is able to truthfully make this assertion.

If you insist upon disbelief in God, what you must say is, "Having the limited knowledge I have at present, I believe that there is no God." Owing to a lack of knowledge on your part, you don't know if God exists. So, in the strict sense of the word, you cannot be an atheist. The only true qualifier for the title is the One who has absolute knowledge, and why on earth would God want to deny His own existence?

The professing atheist is what is commonly known as an "agnostic"--one who claims he "doesn't know" if God exists. It is interesting to note that the Latin equivalent for the Greek word is "ignoramus." The Bible tells us that this ignorance is "willful" (Psalm 10:4). It's not that a person can't find God, but that he won't. It has been rightly said that the "atheist" can't find God for the same reason a thief can't find a policeman. He knows that if he admits that there is a God, he is admitting that he is ultimately responsible to Him. This is not a pleasant thought for some.

It is said that Mussolini (the Italian dictator), once stood on a pinnacle and cried, "'God, if you are there, strike me dead!" When God didn't immediately bow to his dictates, Mussolini then concluded that there was no God. However, his prayer was answered some time later.

I've covered the meanings of "atheist" and "agnostic" in a different thread already, and I'm sure that most of you are clear on their meaning, so I won't patronise by repeating myself.

I would just really like to know how any of this is supposed to convince anyone to be a Christian, aside from someone who already is one. Of course a lot of believers will espouse this as excellent evidence of their claims, but of course, this is without looking at it critically with the eye of the sceptic whom they are trying to convert.  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:38 am
Hey! Watch this! A few corrections, a few added and deleted prefixes and now it's a wordy, nearly identical and equally non-sensical argument in an Atheist's favor.

Words are in the end, just words. You can twist them to say anything you want and make it seem logical, regardless if it is or not.

Quote:

The Theist Test
I don't believe in Theists. This isn't because I haven't met people who claim the title, but because such a person cannot be. Let's imagine that you are a professing Theist. I will ask you two questions: First, do you know the combined weight of all the sand on all the beaches of Hawaii? I think I can safely assume that you don't. This brings us to the second question: Do you know how many hairs are on the back of a fully grown male Tibetan yak? Probably not. I think, therefore, that it is reasonable for me to conclude that there are some things you don't know. It is important to ask these questions because there are some people who think they know everything.

Let's say that you know an incredible one percent of all the knowledge in the universe. To know 100 percent, you would have to know everything. There wouldn't be a rock in the universe that you would not be intimately familiar with, or a grain of sand that you would not be aware of. You would know everything that has happened in history, from that which is common knowledge to the minor details of the secret love life of Napoleon's great-grandmother's black cat's fleas. You would know every hair of every head, and every thought of every heart. All history would be laid out before you, because you would be omniscient (all-knowing).

Bear in mind that one of the greatest scientists who ever lived, Thomas Edison, said, "We do not know a millionth of one percent about anything." Let me repeat: Let's say that you have an incredible one percent of all the knowledge in the universe. Would it be possible, in the ninety-nine percent of the knowledge that you haven't yet come across, that there might be ample evidence to disprove the existence of God? If you are reasonable, you will be forced to admit that it is possible. Somewhere, in the knowledge you haven't yet discovered, there could be enough evidence to prove that God doesn't exist.

Let's look at the same thought from another angle. If I were to make an absolute statement such as, "There is no gold in China," what is needed for that statement to be proven true? I need absolute or total knowledge. I need to have information that there is no gold in any rock, in any river, in the ground, in any store, in any ring, or in any mouth (gold filling) in China. If there is one speck of gold in China, then my statement is false and I have no basis for it. I need absolute knowledge before I can make an absolute statement. Conversely, for me to say, "There is gold in China," I don't need to have all knowledge. I just need to have seen a speck of gold in the country, and the statement is then true.

To say categorically, "There is a God," is to make an absolute statement. For the statement to be true, I must know for certain that there is a God in the entire universe. No human being has all knowledge. Therefore, none of us is able to truthfully make this assertion.

If you insist upon belief in God, what you must say is, "Having the limited knowledge I have at present, I believe that there is a God." Owing to a lack of knowledge on your part, you don't know if a God exists. So, in the strict sense of the word, you cannot be an Theist. The only true qualifier for the title is the One who has absolute knowledge, and why on earth would a God want to deny their own existence?

It is interesting to note that the Latin equivalent for the Greek word is "ignoramus." The Bible tells us that this ignorance is "willful" (Psalm 10:4). It's not that a person can't find God, but that he won't. It has been rightly said that the "atheist" can't find God for the same reason a thief can't find a policeman. He knows that if he admits that there is no God, he is admitting that he is ultimately responsible for himself. This is not a pleasant thought for some.

It is said that Mussolini (the Italian dictator), once stood on a pinnacle and cried, "'God, if you are there, strike me dead!" When God didn't immediately bow to his dictates, Mussolini then concluded that there was no God.

Xiporah

WritelySo

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:32 am
I really don't think it's meant so much to convert atheists, as to rationalize the delusions in a way that might a) give believers a smug sense of righteousness where their doubts might previously have lurked and b) give lapsed believers a way back into a kind of "Pascal's Wager" way of thinking. It's just more illogical mental gyrations and yes, circular logic, with a lot of mischaracterizing of atheism thrown in for good measure... it's the same old same old. Religion is built on intimidation and fear. The "god doesn't believe in atheists" think is meant to intimidate people by saying "if you call yourself an atheist or don't believe in god, then you are being a know-it-all and will still be held accountable to god." Not likely to convert someone who was never religious, but it would definitely frighten or shame some people who were raised religious into submission... people whose logic isn't sophisticated enough to spot the errors.  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:47 pm
I visited your bible belt billboard website and after looking at their attempts to scare me in to believing in jeebus now look soo..... pathetic.... ludicrous... I found myself saying, "Is that all the better you can do? Gimmie a break."

You have to be really credulous and needy to fall for that crap....

Oh...

I guess that would explain a lot.

And the misinterpretation of what atheism is, I think is deliberate. It serves their purpose to demonize us, to dehumanize us. Facing the truth would deminish their power to make christians feel superior to us.  

Edi Gammon

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff