Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
OH MAN - I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT SCIENCE.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Matataur

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:56 am
Okay. The argument between evolution and religion is one that I have trouble being a part of. While it's understandable that many atheists hold evolutionists like Richard Dawkins and Charles Darwin as champions for the atheistic, it gives an impression that science and religion are incompatible, and that you must be one or the other.

And it gets even worse for me when people come up to me trying to disprove evolution in order to prove god. Then when I can't bring up the points I should it makes it seem to them and anyone listening like I hadn't thought through being an atheist. Or worse, that atheism is a bad decision.

I don't know where I was going with this.  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:06 am
No, I hear you. People expect that because you're an atheist, that you ate an entire encylopedia for breakfast and you're just ready to vomit all that knowledge back up at a moment's notice.

I don't know s**t about the facts either, but I also don't welcome discussions about it, as religion in general just makes me uncomfortable.

Xiporah

Asterisk07

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:38 pm
Xiporah
No, I hear you. People expect that because you're an atheist, that you ate an entire encylopedia for breakfast and you're just ready to vomit all that knowledge back up at a moment's notice.

I don't know s**t about the facts either, but I also don't welcome discussions about it, as religion in general just makes me uncomfortable.

MMM thats one good tasting encyclopedia, when it comes to arguement for me Im pretty good at knowing facts and such...its just that I loss pretty much every arguement because people end there arguments with comebacks and insults that are irelavent to the subject and I am the worlds worst comeback creater, I just cant come up with a comeback whatsoever sad  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:53 pm
The only arguments I make are based only scientific theories and explanations. If you want to know why religion and science are incompatible, read my sig.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Retarted Musician

4,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:06 pm
I have a series of theories and such that I'm able to explain to people, but normally they just block me out when they hear, "Well, to start out with, I think we came from monkeys."

So basically, I just ignore people when they try to start up a religion vs. eloution conversation with me.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:52 pm
Do you actually tell them in those exact words, "I think we came from monkeys"? Humans and other modern primates evolved from a common ancestor... not monkeys...  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:45 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
Do you actually tell them in those exact words, "I think we came from monkeys"? Humans and other modern primates evolved from a common ancestor... not monkeys...

Your right we didn't evolve from monkeys but we did evolve from a simian like creature. Most people would refer to it as a monkey. Kind of like they group apes and gorrillas into the term monkey.  
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:55 pm
SkeletonPhoenix
Daffodil the Destroyer

Your right we didn't evolve from monkeys but we did evolve from a simian like creature. Most people would refer to it as a monkey. Kind of like they group apes and gorrillas into the term monkey.
It's still incorrect to refer to that ancestor as a monkey. Monkeys are a specific type of primate which are still in existence, while both monkeys and humans evolved from an animal which no longer exists. To a degree, it's a matter of semantics, but it's a distinction I (and I'd assume many biologists) think is important to make.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:57 pm
I know and I agree but most people probably wouldn't care.  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:35 am
SkeletonPhoenix

and most christians are among those that don't care AND don't know.  

AnonymouZ

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:53 am
AnonymouZ
SkeletonPhoenix

and most christians are among those that don't care AND don't know.

EXACTLTY.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff