Reply The Writer's Block
Prompt Writing

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AntoniaMerEnfant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:13 am
Here's the scoop- sometimes it is fun to write on a prompt. The prompt can be a style suggestion, topic (mostly it's a topic), or line. The goal is to be creative and to come up with new material.

How this thread will work: one person will make a prompt (suggestion for writing). The person who comes up with a piece gets to make the new prompt after their post.

First Prompt: Topic- Sleep  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:27 pm
Okay, so this takes a little while to get to the point, and it may be a little contrived in places, but I swear, it is primarily about the topic of sleep.

When I was little, we would walk around the neighbourhood, up to the park, or the store, or the library. I would sometimes pick up doodads and bits of broken machines and nuts and bolts and things. I wanted to build a time machine. I remember rubbing metal objects on a spool of copper wire to magnetise them. I wanted to be an inventor, and that's what I told people.
"What do you want to be?"
"An inventor," proudly, pronouncing the 'O.'
Magnets were important. They would be mounted all in a circle, and they would spin. I suppose I thought that the magnets and the devices that comprised the machine would create some sort of path, some warp in the fabric of spacetime, that the machine and all that it contained would be set loose from the constraints of one day per day, one minute per minute, one time at a time.
Mostly my desire when I was that young was to see the future, to travel to fantastic times and places where I would witness the pinnacle of human achievement. Nobody, however, is too young for regrets, and at times I would daydream about a time in the future when I would have my time machine, and I would travel back in time and watch that episode of Inspector Gadget I'd missed, or stop myself from killing, for no reason, an ant with a stick, something that haunts me still. As I got older, the time machine became more of an escapist fantasy, as regrets piled up, both mine and others.' That I would come back from the future and make things better, make things right, change the smallest things to make the bigger things better.
But that was adolescent fantasy. I learned eventually to live with regret, and finally, to live without it.
No single thing will lead you to a point, but among other things, it is sleep that has taught me to not desire a time machine, and it has taught me to live without regret. Every night, it seemed, for the longest time, I would be harassed by nightmares. Not the nightmares of a child, shadows of the unknown, things larger and more powerful than oneself relentlessly chewing the edges of your careful world. No, they were of the same ilk, but not the same form. It is a place not far from madness, to not know whether this too is only a false awakening, to wake suddenly, biting your hand to the bone to stop yourself from screaming, and then waking again without a mark on the skin. It is every regret, every stain of guilt, every path not taken, every mistake, every offense. Time machine or not, there is no going back. What has happened is indelible. It is that which is yet to come that is malleable, it is the moment that we hold in our hands that is important. Every dream, every idealised vision of a heaven on Earth, every nightmare vision of an unchangeable hell, every dream comes from that which cannot be undone. Every hour spent unconscious is an hour you will never get back, every second of sleep had better be worth it, for those precious seconds, like diamond sand, slipping from your imperfect grasp, will never come again. This is not a tragedy. Sleep, like the passage of time, is inevitable. This is neither good nor bad. It is merely a lesson to make the most of every moment, for the universe may well be infinite in both size and age, but the moments that have passed will never come again.

If this is acceptable, the next topic is scent.  

Sheboygan Milad

AntoniaMerEnfant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:17 am
(Wow! I would have never made that sort of connection between sleep and the resolution of regret before. Nicely, nicely done).

Scent (I decided to write a scene from my story using this as the focal sensory experience. Best not to read this before or after eating) :

It was a scent Moxy had encountered countless times--burning wood. As the smoke hit her nostrils she couldn't help but surrender to the disconnected images in her mind. The smell triggered memories of sitting by a crackling fire next to her parents when her mother was still alive. She could smell the smoke mingled in with roasted food at the elven festivals. Yet her memories were polluted with new images. The forest that seemed to intertwine with her village was burning. Brambles of fire were dropping from the trees onto the roofs of the houses on the outskirts. Soon the village would be caught up in the hysteria of blaze. The soldiers were marching in now like hunters fast to destroy a dangerous beast.

Nafene looked up, his acute hearing picking up the sound of arrows whizzing on by in the distance. He understood now the lengths the Defiant would go to eliminate the legacy of past mistakes. An entire village was now under siege to destroy a solitary elf--Nafene. As he readied his bow his thoughts could only drift to his daughter. Would Moxy obey his instructions to hide? Today he feared her spirited nature would compel her to go into the line of fire.

Quima was far more impetuous than her niece or her brother. She rammed into soldiers, swinging her massive ax as though it were feather-light. Even with the billowing masses of smoke, suffocating her and flooding her sense of scent, she could smell something more. Had the smoke not been stinging her eyes, bringing them to tears, certainly the stench would have. Something rotten and putrid was wafting on the air. Then, as Quima broke the visor of one of the soldiers, she knew. It was indeed the smell of decaying flesh. She was on the verge of vomiting, smoke was filling her lungs. It was grueling, dizzy, and distressing. Still she screamed to warn the others.

"UNDEAD!" The smoke was growing denser. Quima began to run, she had to find fresh air.

Next topic is: Serenity (the state of being, not the movie).  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:10 pm
This is going to be a little short because I'm sleepy, but I like this idea. biggrin

Serenity:

A light warm breeze blew the hair out of her eyes. Above her, a transparent umbrella of leaves shaded out the sun, casting a green shade on everything below. For once, everything was quiet. No cars, no people-- only her breathing, a few birds, and the sound of the breeze dancing across the lake and rustling the leaves.

And somewhere deep inside her chest, a weight had been lifted. There was no longer a feeling of obligation to the world, no longer a feeling of guilt. A peaceful sense of emptiness that ebbed with every breath. A strand of hair brushed her cheek and she closed her eyes.

For once, she could just exist.

I'll pick something random for the next topic....Chinese Food  

kekadu
Crew

The Writer's Block

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out