Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
George Carlin (1937-2008)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PrezarioKaiser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:42 pm
In a state that can only be described as "awestruck," I came across this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN2339172520080623

This guild, despite not posting here for many months, was the first thing that came to mind. Sorry to break the bad news.

May Joe Pesci have mercy on your soul, George.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:27 pm
Avoir Le Retour...
I first found out about it in another guild I post in, and like you, this was the first place I thought of. May Pesci rest his soul, indeed. But all joking aside, I'm seriously on the verge of crying right now. Not only was he by far one of the greatest comedians of all time, but he was a visionary, and promoted Atheism far more than most people do. A wonderful man, and may he be remembered.
...Les Adieux

Aaron Lee Morrison

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:56 pm
I heard the news on NPR today. Normally I don't make a big deal when celebrities die, but I'm saddened by the loss of George Carlin. I heard an interview wherein he gave one of the most eloquent explanations of atheism I've heard. He will definitely be sorely missed.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:13 pm
I saw this on yahoo. This sucks he was a very good comidian, I first found out about him in this guild.  

SkeletonPhoenix

Skadefro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:05 pm
Oh man. ;_;

Carlin was the man who made me to start questioning things like god. You could probably say he was the one who made me an atheist.

Damn. Rest in peace, you magnificent b*****d.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:27 pm
Such a sad loss. The world of comedy will never be the same without him.

The man was a genius and an expert in crafting his jokes and having perfect timing. On top of that he was not afraid to speak his mind or question any part of the establishment and openly criticize religion and promote atheism.

May Joe Pesci rest your soul George for you shall be missed greatly.  

Arios V

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:25 pm
Joe Pesci damn. I listened to it on the radio... on npr too. I coudn't ******** believe it. Yes, his druggy past was bad... and he looked deteriorated on one of his late HBO specials... but joepesci damnit! I never, ever saw this coming.

I didn't necessarily think that he was promoting atheism tho, as much as he was promoting FREE THINKING. And... when things came down to basics, he called it what it was (religion = bullshit.)

He was a ******** genius indeed. It sucks that he had to go... but hey... we all have to at some point. He just beat us to the punchline.

What weirded me out, besides caring about someone's death, was that his daughter at Larry King's said something along the lines of "thanks for all the prayers and ...." i couldn't hear the rest cuz i heard the word prayers, in a George Carlin context, that was not made fun of.
It made me think if there really was that many prayer doers that were actually fans of him. It also made me think that if it's because she knew that so many of us were hypocrite enough to talk s**t about this concept of god, yet, at times when we feel down... or sad... or whatever some of us felt at the news of his death, that we would think of PRAYERS for him.

I think we did and are. Since most of us thought that Joe Pesci better be taking care of business now that George is gone.

But whatever... i won't necessarily say RIP since it implies he still has something that he can do while dead (resting,) but i will say that he will be missed and mourned by this ******** right here.

='/  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:01 am
My dad sent me an e-mail about it the day right after. I was in shock after I read it.

He and I went to see one of his last shows, when he came to Birmingham, AL.
One of the best performers and greatest minds there ever was.  

Tenth Speed Writer

sora987

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:25 am
I heard the news on serious radio. I had to do a double take cause I just couldn't believe it at first. I was saddened but I guess not too surprised due to the drug use. I'm still going to miss him though. My dad felt the same way since he grew up listening to carlin.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:29 pm

Carlin was a wonder of a comedic mind. He shall be missed.

Anavis

Teoka

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:31 pm
"Give 'em hell in heaven, George!"

I was never so saddened by a celebrity's death before ;-; He was a brilliant comedian and atheist. He will be sorely missed DX  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:18 pm
I still haven't gotten over his death.

Oddly enough, my Dad actually met him.

Orson Welles

b-asinine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:57 am
"I wonder," Steve said wildly, "why somebody hasn't taken a rifle and blown your head off."

"Even the most primitive societies have an innate respect for the insane," the Motorcycle Boy answered.

excerpt from Rumble Fish by S. E. Hinton

-b.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:52 pm
Anyone else remeber his HBO special where he mentioned the dead people folder? May he rest there in a little icon forever more.  

Crooked_Lamb

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff