Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Tatting, anyone?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tatting
  Oh, I'd love a tattoo!
  No thanks, I prefer to embelish clothes - not my skin!
  Yes! I use it to embelish my clothes... among other things...
  What on earch are you talking about?
  No.
View Results

Taonuviel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:44 pm
Don't find much of this around, but it's kinda fun. I guess I'd call it a kind of lace-work, made with knots and loops. Usually it's done with crochet thread. It isn't very versatile, but can be used for boarders, or items like doilies and place mats. I gave it a try last year for a boarder on a head scarf, and have been wanting to invest some more time to make a nice table setting.

Ever heard of it? Ever tried it?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:25 pm
This looks really neat. My mum would love it if I learned how to do this (she loves doilies, I swear she's actually 150 years old). Does it work up fairly quickly, or does it take forever to make an inch worth of fabric?  

Supertheory

Taonuviel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:15 am
It's kinda slow, but goes faster as you get used to it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:03 pm
My sister knows how to tat, but i don't. She doesn't do a ton of it, but from time to time she'll do some embellishments for something super special for a doll.... cause it's really slow, and not her favorite thing to do.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Great Aunt Gertrude

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:33 pm
I've been tatting for a few years now. I've made a few edgings but for now I just make butterflys.

This is what one looks like:
User Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:58 pm
That is really cute! Do you have the pattern for that? I'd love to make a baby blanket for a friend of mine with those as embellishments.  

Supertheory

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:18 pm
Tatting is nice, and it's a lot more versatile than it looks at first glance. For example, have you seen Tat-man's rose, or the russian jewelry (usually called Ankars) that's made with it? Really, it all depends on how creative you want to get with it. A lot of the work done with beads (beanile tatting or beanile lace) can get pretty ornate, and the celtic tatting is also pretty awesome. I used to teach beginner's classes in tatting, but when I took up knitting I pretty much made that my main craft. Still, there's a lot of good work being done smile There's a really active tatting community out there, if you know where to look.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:50 pm
Zahra Ovaci
Tatting is nice, and it's a lot more versatile than it looks at first glance. For example, have you seen Tat-man's rose, or the russian jewelry (usually called Ankars) that's made with it? Really, it all depends on how creative you want to get with it. A lot of the work done with beads (beanile tatting or beanile lace) can get pretty ornate, and the celtic tatting is also pretty awesome. I used to teach beginner's classes in tatting, but when I took up knitting I pretty much made that my main craft. Still, there's a lot of good work being done smile There's a really active tatting community out there, if you know where to look.

Wow. Those are really amazing. Are they still done with a tatting shuttle?  

Taonuviel

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:12 pm
Nope. Never heard of it. But I would love a tattoo. I'm too white. I just want a little one. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:59 am
Ooo - never tried it, but it looks purdy! 3nodding  

beetroot-fallout

madame trash heap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:34 am
I don't make it myself but I like to go to antique fairs or markets and find antique tatting. I usually use it to embellish clothes. My favorite piece that I did was on a t-shirt that I cut a jagged panel out of the shoulder and sewed the tatting in with contrasting thread. I'd post a picture but the shirt was "accidentally" taken by my friend who lives across the country.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games