Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Roving in the mail

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Supertheory

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:22 pm
I've decided to learn how to spin, so I bought a pound of BFL fibre (in white, so I can try out dying it, too) from Spunky Eclectic. Now I just have to wait for it to be mailed to me from Maine. Probably about two weeks.

I'm very very excited.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:36 pm
Oooh, I've never had the pleasure of spinning any of Boogie's fiber. The next time I'm in the market for roving, I'll probably go to her. I've seen some of her fibers spun up lately, and I really want to have some of her colors for myself.

Oh, and now I read and see that it's undyed. xd Well, I'm sure it'll be nice anyway. BFL is a gorgeous wool, and it's good for beginners. It's so very soft, so you feel like you're spinning up something really nice, and I believe it's a fairly long staple, so it doesn't run away from you as you're trying to get the rhythm down.

Are you trying on a wheel or on a spindle?  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Supertheory

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:00 pm
A spindle for now. It was worth taking the time to make it (It literally took 5 minutes). I think it will help me learn the basics a bit better, as well as being a way cheaper option for something that's new to me. If I wind up really enjoying it (and I'm sure I will) I'll think about investing in a wheel down the road.

Part of the problems with wheels is that there are so very many options, and I really wouldn't know where to begin. I like those ladybug ones because they're cute, but I don't know if they're worth the money.

Do you have a wheel?

I thought about getting some of her dyed roving, but for now, I'm only interested in learning how to spin, and I figure a good portion of what I got will be pretty much unusable for knitting or crochet. I'm sure it's going to be all different thickness and all knobbly and wobbly. Once I get the technique down a bit better I'll get some of the more interesting stuff and knit some killer mittens.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:32 pm
I do have a wheel. It's a Kromski Prelude, and I bought it because it's pretty much the least expensive wheel available short of a Babe, and PVC doesn't really do it for me. wink

It's a good little wheel, keeps me busy and happy, although I will probably purchase another sometime in the future, maybe in about a year. I may change my mind, if the lace flyers ever actually come out.

Spindles are fun, too, although I definitely use them less. I just bought a new one, but I haven't really sat down and played with it much. I probably will play more while I'm in between apartments at the end of this month and the wheel has to go into storage.  

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items