Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:01 pm
Ok, I have a few questions.

First off, the start of the school year is coming up fast, and I want to have some projects figured out to make in my sowing class before school starts so I don't end up spending a week or two to come up with projects. I want to do some smaller projects, about all I've made so far have been quilts. The only projects I could come up with so far, I can't find any patterns for. So basically, I need ideas for easy sowing projects.

Ok, my next question: I want to start making my own clothes/editing older, uglier clothes into something pretty.; and anyways, I have no idea where to start. Whats the easiest thing to start out with?

Next question: Is there an easy way to learn how to knit?? I've been trying to learn how to knit and so far, I've only been able to cast on, I keep messing up on the next part. I really want to be able to knit. I'm planning on starting out with something relatively simple, such as a scarf, which to me would be easiest to start out with, but I haven't even been able to knit one row, all I can do is cast on sweatdrop . Knitting is hard. XD  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:15 pm
I'm not a great sewer, so I might not be the best person for advice for your class projects, but, I would recommend sewing small things by hand to get you started. You can buy really easy to follow patterns at most fabric stores (and you can find a lot online too). Get used to following a pattern, cutting it out, making sure it's blocked properly (that's a knitting thing, I don't know if it's called something out with sewing -- making sure all the pieces are lined up properly for sewing.) This site has a lot of links to easy sewing projects.

Your second question really has the same answer. Learn the basics on small projects first, and then work your way up to fancier things.

The easiest way to learn to knit is to get someone to teach you. I first learned from my mum, and then was re-taught by my aunt, and then re-taught myself again from books and the internet. Ask around and see if you can find someone to teach you.
I actually started by learning how to crochet. It's different in more ways than it's similar to knitting, but it will help you learn about gauge, and tension, and it's a lot easier to pick up and feel successful with.

The best thing you can do is keep practicing. It took me years to get to my level of skill with crochet, and even though I've been knitting for a few years now, I still consider myself a beginner.  

Supertheory

Taonuviel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:25 pm
One word: ties. They're awesome. You can do so many things with them - make skirts, dresses, embellish pants, cut them up and use the fabric, and lots more... I'm going to try to write a book on using them.

On knitting - how are you trying to learn it? Do you have good illustrations? Do you have other experience with something like crochet? I learned crochet first from my mom, and was so comfortable with it and working with yarn looping that knitting has come much easier to me now. (I tried it a long time ago and didn't like it much.) I'm also used to keeping the tension right - making loops that are too tight makes it SO much more difficult. The other difficulty is keeping the loops on the needles - it just gets easier as you go. Use your fingers to manipulate the yarn if you need to.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:25 pm
Kay-VW
Ok, I have a few questions.

First off, the start of the school year is coming up fast, and I want to have some projects figured out to make in my sowing class before school starts so I don't end up spending a week or two to come up with projects. I want to do some smaller projects, about all I've made so far have been quilts. The only projects I could come up with so far, I can't find any patterns for. So basically, I need ideas for easy sowing projects.
Try making bags. They don't cost a ton of money, and alot of patterns have lots of different kinds of bags in one envelope. You can incorperate alot of techniques in one bag. For example, you could quilt the front panel, embroider details, learn how to attatch/line patch pockets, make straps, line the bag, put in a zipper, or just do buttons. The possibilities are endless.

Kay-VW

Ok, my next question: I want to start making my own clothes/editing older, uglier clothes into something pretty.; and anyways, I have no idea where to start. Whats the easiest thing to start out with?

If you want to make your own, skirts are easy. Pants are hard. For updating older cloths, really the best thing to do is look at your cloths and figure out what you want to do to them, and figure out how to do that. As you think about it, you'll find that you come up with solutions in your ability range.

Kay-VW

Next question: Is there an easy way to learn how to knit?? I've been trying to learn how to knit and so far, I've only been able to cast on, I keep messing up on the next part. I really want to be able to knit. I'm planning on starting out with something relatively simple, such as a scarf, which to me would be easiest to start out with, but I haven't even been able to knit one row, all I can do is cast on sweatdrop . Knitting is hard. XD

Stitch n b***h is a good learning book. I learned from a combination of that book, you tube, and my local yarn store.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:57 pm
Hey. I'm new to this guild. My name is Sarah and I think I can help you out ...if only just a little. I'm out of high school, and never had any sewing classes, but I have been sewing for almost my entire life so far. (My teacher has 30 years on me, so compared to her, I'm not that good at all. But compared to others my age, I think I am....well practiced.)

Question 1. New sewing projects to surprise your class. I'd say curtains. They are really very easy because the lines are all straight. No curves, or special designs or anything. They are very very easy.
My next suggestion is to make yourself a purse. I sew and sell them for 40 bucks a piece. Granted those are a lot harder then curtains, but if you keep trying at it, I'm sure you'll do fine. And you might want to keep in mind a silly little saying I made up. "The more mess ups you have, the more unique it is." You can go to a fabric shop, look (or ask) for the easiest design there is. And just work on it. Ask a person at the shop to help you if you really need it. If they're like my teacher, they won't mind at all and be glad to take the job.

Question 2. Ways to make your outdated clothes more you. I did that with a jacket of mine a year ago. I should take a picture and put it up actually, that would be really cool. Mom must've bought it for like maybe 20 to 30 bucks, but now she says it is well worth over 200. biggrin But I digress.
Now I don't know what you plan on doing to your clothes, but let me use mine as an example.
I asked my teacher to help me make it more me-ish. We went to a fabric shop (there are only two in the area, one more if you drive 30 minutes out of town) and picked out 5 different fabrics. All the exact same design but different colors: green, blue, red, purple and yellow. We sewed them in diagonal lines across the back. I don't remember the order. (I don't have the jacket with me.) The ones that came up to the shoulder we just put it over the shoulder a short ways.
After all that, we still had fabric left over and the front was left undone. So we took some squares out and sewed them on the right side. It has the waterfall look to it. Then we took a square out of the red and sewed it in the pocket, so it looked like one corner was missing. On the left side there was still nothing but the over-the-shoulder pieces of purple and green. We took a tiny strip of blue and sewed it to to side/front. Then we had a really hard time dealing with the hood. I thought about everything to put the fabric on it, but even in my head it looked dumb. Then, by some random stroke of genius, we thought of patches. We went to the store and looked around and we found some really cool stuff. I chose a yellow rose, some kindof beaded hippie looking flower, and stars. We got two packs of stars, and one of each of the flowers. We ended up sewing both flowers to the back and five of the stars on the hood. (In random places) We still had more stars, so we put them all over the rest of the jacket. It looks very military style with the stars on it.
And then we put a Costa Rica patch I had been saving on the sleeve. (She said she didn't like doing that because it was tough, even for her, and was a bit time consuming.)
All in all, it came out looking (if I may) pretty damn sweet. I love that jacket now. It's so me! I've gotten so many compliments on it. And requests too! Granted it's summer, so I can't wear it out or in, but it's the one I most look forward to wearing in the winter season.
Now I didn't come up with this all myself. Have to give some err...a lot of the credit to Ginny. I had a very different picture of what I wanted in my head. But this one beats it by like five miles! She's a seamstress so she knows measurements and how colors go together and everything that we average people don't. And plus she's been teaching me since I was 7 so...she knows me pretty well.
Anyway, I hope I didn't bore you with "the tale of Sarah's jacket". But it's all about being as creative as you want. Make a jacket more you-ish, a dress, a skirt, or pants, a shirt, whatever...actually I think those are all the articles of clothing that go on your body, except for the unseen ones, or silk or something. Um...yea...just do whatever. And the ideas for whatever-it-is won't come all at once. I would suggest getting a folder or notebook and just draw designs in it. Get some colored pencils(I wouldn't suggest markers or crayons. Crayons are too dusty and break too much(for me anyway) and markers bleed through paper) and decide what basic colors you want, then try coming up with design ideas, (transparent fabric, fabric with chickens....stuff like that) then match the design to the color you want. Then once your positive about what you want, (can't go back and fix it, and if you do, it reeeeally shows up) go out and buy the stuff, and start. I would suggest sticking to the original plan. And remember, patches are always good!

Oh. The zipper doesn't work at all on it anymore but still...it's just awesome anyway.

Question 3. Knitting. Well, I have no answer to that one. (Thank God. You've already talked enough, Sarah!) I used to know how, but life happened and I forgot so I need to learn again too.

(Wow. This thing took me like an hour to type. It's 2:00. I need to go to bed. PM me if you like!!)  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:45 pm
Kay-VW

I can't remember which pattern company does it, but they have sewing projects labeled "Easy" Like "Easy Sew" or "Easy Project" or something along those lines. You could browse their patterns. You can also google "Easy sewing projects" and see what pops up.

Someone mentioned curtains, and I have a suggestion if you do that. Go to your local second hand store, and check out the bedding. I know it sounds crazy, but you can often pick up a satin top sheet for like, $2, and then you can turn it into and instant curtain with some pocketing at the top. Maybe not the best school project out there, because it's kinda cheating, but it would get points for recycling in my book. LOL.

You can also use the sheets to make pillow shams, which for me, aren't that hard. I cut the fabric the width of the pillow plus 2 inches, and then wrap it up and over the pillow, overlapping like 4 inches. Then I sew down the top and bottom ends to make them nice, fold it up so that the two ends over lap, and sew up the sides, then turn it inside out. (sounds more confusing than it is, but I'm not great at explaining things). When it's turned inside out, there's a whole you shove the pillow into, but the sides overlap to hid it.

Kay-VW

Again, second hand stores can be your friends. I had a black skirt that was kinda plain, so I found this black lace skirt for $3 at the second hand store, but it dodn't fit me (too small in my hips). I bought it, took it home, cut it up to the waist on one seam, re-sewed the edges so it didn't fray, but so it was open from the waist down. I then layered it over the other skirt, and it looks SO GOOD! (plus, for $3 if I'd messed up, I wouldn't have cried).

You can often take the sleeves off something you own, and the sleeves off something you bought second hand, and switch them. I've been known to take a top that is lace + shell underneath, and remove the shell, and tack the lacey thing to another one of my tops.

I've also switched out some buttons this way. I find something with really awesome buttons for like $1, and rip them off, then put them on something else that had ick buttons.

Kay-VW

I prefer crochet. It looks kinda of the same, and I can pretty much crochet anything I could knit. (as in, blankets, scarf, etc. Maybe not the exact pattern). For me, anything above one needle is too confusing for me to keep straight.  

Kitanya_Rose

ellayaxP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:59 pm
there are many great ways to learn how to knit but if u actually have an experienced person next by you it would help smile anywys, just type in how to knit and there are actually some great websites!! take it slow, don't be 2 impatient or you'll make 2 many mistakes! that's how i learned!! heart mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:44 pm
Tote bags are super easy to do, and can be made however you want. I think there are tons of online patterns for all sorts of bags. I know that threadbanger on youtube has done a few tutorials on how to make bags - like ones out of jeans, etc and their forum has a great great links too.

I think the easiest way to alter old clothing is to start off easy (without scissors! You may regret cutting after if you're not 100% sure of what you want). I really like making patches and appliques out of fleece and felt fabrics. Or even just straight-up embroidering your old shirts. Maybe some beads too. I had an old sweater that was pretty bland grey, then I embroidered an image to the back and made it into something I like. :3  

Isabelle

9,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items