Welcome to Gaia! ::

A Home Away

Back to Guilds

Our guild is a quirky and sometimes incoherent critique and discussion group for writers looking to get some feedback on their work. 

Tags: writing, critique, discussion, literate, authors 

Reply something peaceful.
useful links and resources for writing

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did you find this thread useful?
  yush. 0:
  no.
  maybe. we'll see. :U
  hur hur, option four. :B
View Results

PandaEnlightenment
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm
-intro-

I belief the title is self-explanatory. Here you can find resources that Panda recommends, both online and books. n____n

i. you are here.
ii. books
iii. websites

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:12 pm
-useful books and journals, etc.-

a. Poet's Market [2007 ed.] --- 1,800+ listings for magazines, journals, presses, contests, workshops, and much more. This is a really great source to find places to submit poetry. It also includes some places for short stories, but the main focus is poetry.

b. Poetry Magazine --- Poets, if you don't already have a subscription to Poetry, you must get one. It is a very well-known journal, and its a great way to introduce yourself to different styles of writing.

c. Writing Fiction by Garry Disher --- This is a great handbook to introduce yourself to, duh, writing fiction. It can seem a bit reading intensive at times, but I still found it very helpful.

d. Novel and Short Story Writer's Market [2007 ed.] --- Made by the same publisher as Poet's Market, this is a good resource for... pretty much the same things as the first source, but for novels and short stories.

e. On Writing: Memoirs of the Craft by Stephen King- A phenomenal book with a lot of good advice from one of the best selling authors ever.

f. The Writer's Idea Book by Jack Heffron- This book has some good writing tips, but its real wealth are the dozens of writing prompts sprinkled throughout the book.

g. Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury- Written by one of Panda's favorite authors, this book is a very interesting way to learn about the specifics of Bradbury's writing. He gives many'a helpful pointers and insights from his own life and experiences.

*If you have a book that you would like me to add to this list, please post its name and content here and I will add it if it seems good to me. ^^;

i. introduction
ii. you are here.
iii. websites

PandaEnlightenment
Captain

PandaEnlightenment
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:25 pm
-useful websites-

a. www.shadowpoetry.com --- This website has a lot of great resources. I would especially suggest taking a look at Types of Poetry, which can be found under resources. And for poets and novelists alike, definitely check out the Writing Resources. Some absolutely great books, including some I've already listed, can be found there.

b. www.rhymezone.com --- A good source if you're having trouble finding a rhyme for a word. Plus, the results can be pretty amusing. Take a look and try it out! xD

c. www.dictionary.com --- An easy-to-use way to find a definition when you don't feel like using the book version.

d. www.google.com --- rofl I realize that most of you already know of this particular website, but I still wanted to list it.

*If you have a website that you would like me to add to this list, please post its name and content here and I will add it if it seems good to me. ^^;

i. introduction
ii. books
iii. you are here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:26 pm
-reserved for a rainy day-

PandaEnlightenment
Captain

JamesRaith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:37 pm
Mwaha. Very useful thread. Here's my suggestions:

Books:

Stephen King's On Writing: Memoirs of the Craft - a phenomenal book with a lot of good advice from one of the best selling authors ever.

Jack Heffron's The Writer's Idea Book - This book has some good writing tips, but its real wealth are the dozens of writing prompts sprinkled throughout the book.

Short on time at the moment. I'll be back later with some websites that I use too.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:16 am
Ohh, good. ^^ I hoped it would be.

Thanks for the new books! I'll go add them right now. C":

PandaEnlightenment
Captain

something peaceful.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items