Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I finally resigned from church!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sini X

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:16 pm
Here in Finland everyone is a member of the Finnish lutheran or orthodox church, if their mother is a member, though parents can decide if they don't want the particular child to be joined into church. Religion itself is also different in many ways. I don't want to spend next week writing about it and it's very hard to explain because it's so different with different areas and families... Anyways!
We have a law that says that you can resign from church. If you're younger than 18 years of age, you have to have both of you parents (if alive) to sign the paper. If you're older you can do it by yourself in the magistrate or in the internet. I chose the internet. I wrote my whole name, social security number and other info into the form and they sent it into the central magistrate in my county. It's really nifty and 100% sure. I told both of my parents at the same date and they seemed to be ok with it. My ultra-religious family from my dads side (aunts and cousins etc.) don't know and they really don't need to, because I know they'll literally put me through hell and my aunts will both have heart attacks...
Anyway. Now I'm over and done with it. I'm waiting for a letter to confirm everything. I'm kind of proud of myself. Now I don't have to attend religion classes in school. They're compulsory if you're member of the church and can't be avoided. I get to study ethics instead which is so cool ^-^

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:14 am
Congratulations biggrin In Finland, if people know your an Atheist will they give you a hard time?  

Zambimaru

Sini X

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:47 am
Depends about the people. Some people will, and some people will just be like "ok, what'd you have for lunch today?"
Around here people don't go to church every sunday. Or well, elderly people and some who concider themselves religious do go but it's not like your neighbour would come to you all "Why weren't you in church this morning?!?! scream "
Finland has Lutheranism and Orthodoxism as state churches. People pay taxes to the church (only about 1,4% of their income or something like that) if they're members of those churches. Smaller sects like pentacostals etc. don't count (I think)
Then again studying religion in school is compulsory if you're member of the church and in 1st to 4th/5th grade it's all "Jesus is a friend of all children." and "God made everything perfect." Then we start dive further into bible xp In some schools they even say grace before lunch :s Some teachers can be very oldfashioned and may be a bit harsh if you don't say grace with the other kids gonk
But it really depends on where you live and what's your family like.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:42 pm
Welcome to the dark side.  

b-asinine

Dirty Dirty Shisno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:15 am
Good for you. Nobody should ever do anything they don't want to.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:28 pm
I'm so happy for you! Way to stand up for what you believe in/don't. I wish you luck dealing with you family-- we all know what that's like.

It must harder in Finland to be an atheist....... if religion is such a big part of the country. The government makes you take religion classes if you belong to the church? ewww..... And I used to think things were bad in America, land of the fundamentalists and George W.  

Serendipity Splendor

Sini X

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:44 am
Yeah but we don't actually go to church that often. I usually go there like 1-4 times a year, depends on if anyone dies or gets married or something like that. But it's not like it would show everywhere in every single little thing. And atleast we don't have any sort of pledge of allegiance.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:15 am
b-asinine
Welcome to the dark side.

We have cookies!

On a more serious note, congratulations Sini X....I hope things go well on your end.

Sanguvixen

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff