Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"In God We Trust" removed from federal coins

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:31 am
You remember those coins with "In God We Trust" engraved on the side? Yep. Not being made anymore. Now they'll be worth money. stare And of course I spent mine.

Anyway, the president signed a bill that required the immediate removal of the words "In God We Trust" on the coins. I'm not sure if it's just those dollar coins or all coins.

So, what is your opinion of this? Is this a step into the direction of eliminating religion from the goverment? Or is it just people nitpicking?

Your opinions, please.

Quote:

http://www.ingodwetrustcoins.com/index.cfm
These Presidential coins have "In God We Trust" edge-engravings minted by the U.S. Government are being handed out for free. You will get all six free coins with each complete edge-engraved vault tube of coins you claim.

The U.S. Government barely got started minting these Presidential coins with "In God We Trust" engraved on the edge when a federal law signed by the President required immediate preparation to move "In God We Trust" from the edge.

Each of the six Presidential Dollars which were minted in limited quantity are now out of production and there will never be any more made or produced.

Now is your chance to own part of history by simply claiming Six Presidential Vault Tubes.

* Nevermind. Apparently the pape decided to be misleading, and they are merely moving the "In God We Trust" back to the front or back.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:12 pm
User Image

I was hopeful for a minute there, but also confused 'cos I didn't think Bush would ever sign a bill that required the removal of that particular phrase. Damn. Maybe someday...

User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Born Of Ash And Despair

Hallowed Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:12 pm
So close, and yet, so far...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:19 pm
I want it to go back to "E pluribus unum."  

Lunar Falcon

Serendipity Splendor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:24 pm
Darn, you got my hopes up! sad

I agree "E Pluribus unum" is waaaay better

No I don't think its nit-picking. I think we have to stand up to remove even the slightest forms of religion from the government. It's the little things, really. We have to stand strong.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:14 pm
User Image

Yeah, I agree with you, Serendipity. I'm in a Facebook group that's loosely related (about religious messages on license plates), and we got into a discussion about the national motto on the wall. Notice how it's the religious people in this group who are being belligerent and rude. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=17906466218

User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Serendipity Splendor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:45 am
Great Facebook group, Daffodil! Thanks for sharing smile

Yeah, I've noticed that too... I hate it when people post hateful messages group walls.

"I assume you are just a lost soul, that has no direction in their life. You still need Jesus. You don't want to burn in an eternal fiery pit do you?" What exactly does he think he can accomplish here? Sure. Now that you've threatened and insulted me on Facebook, I'm totally going to go be religious now rolleyes

mad Unfortunately in my day I've also seen some incredibly rude atheists posting. rolleyes I am ashamed on behalf of all of us.

I guess this is due to the nature of the internet, it's greatest strength and curse: ANYONE can say ANYTHING. Freedom of speech means you're probably going to be insulted. But we wouldn't have it any other way.

Sorry...... done now. *ends long rant*  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:36 pm
I wish they would remove it totally, because as this guild proves, not everyone believes in god. So how about putting a positive phrase that UNITES America and not segrigates the believers from the non-believers.  

Explosive Effects101

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff