Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Favicons

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:23 am
I just discovered Favicons, and thought I'd share because they are a useful branding tool (and I think they are cool!).

Favicons are those little icons that appear to the left of the url in the url box at the top of your browser when you visit a site, and at the top of tabs. You've probably noticed at some point that Gaia's favicon is a little face.

To make one of these appear in your site, simply create a 16x16 pixel image (pixel art is good for this one) and save it as favicon.ico . You must name it exactly this for it to work. Then upload your favicon into the root folder of your site (unfortunately I don't think you can do this with free sites...).

The favicon should now appear in your browser when you (or anyone else) visits your site. xd  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:46 am
Oooh I've always wondered about that!!! Thank you! biggrin Now I have to think of one to make for my site..... xp  

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

Raine Dragon

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:33 pm
^_^ I always wondered how people did that! yay! now I know! ^__^ goes to try it ^_-

:edit: odd... I did what you said and it didn't work... unfortunatly... it may just be the odd host I have...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:12 pm
Raine Dragon
:edit: odd... I did what you said and it didn't work... unfortunatly... it may just be the odd host I have...
You have to put right in the root folder. I put it in my html folder (the only one thats actually visible on the internet), but it has to be in the root one sweatdrop  

Chisa
Vice Captain

retrokitty

Fashionable Gawker

4,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:21 am
I did this for my now defunct comic, and I love it! There is some code you have to put on the site you want it to show up on though....

*goes to look*

Obviously just change the code to match your site's url.

Confused? Go here: http://www.lissaexplains.com/fun9.shtml  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:32 am
retrokitty
I did this for my now defunct comic, and I love it! There is some code you have to put on the site you want it to show up on though....

*goes to look*

Obviously just change the code to match your site's url.

Confused? Go here: http://www.lissaexplains.com/fun9.shtml
Cool! I didn't know you could do that, I thought I had to use the same one for all my sites at that address... cool! Very helpful 3nodding  

Chisa
Vice Captain

retrokitty

Fashionable Gawker

4,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:57 am
Chisa
Cool! I didn't know you could do that, I thought I had to use the same one for all my sites at that address... cool! Very helpful 3nodding

Well, I think you can only have one per root address, like I host a lot of different sub sites on my domain, but only one can have a favicon. It sucks, but since there is only one name for the graphic, that's how it has to be.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:06 am
retrokitty
Chisa

Well, I think you can only have one per root address, like I host a lot of different sub sites on my domain, but only one can have a favicon. It sucks, but since there is only one name for the graphic, that's how it has to be.
Ah, damn. I was all excited there. I guess I'll have to make more of a universal one...  

Chisa
Vice Captain

retrokitty

Fashionable Gawker

4,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:10 am
Chisa
Ah, damn. I was all excited there. I guess I'll have to make more of a universal one...

Yeah, I was thinking of making a cat like on my business card, but I dunno... Maybe since I'm redesigning my comic anyway....  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games