Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Anyone know where I can find some good fabric?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:41 pm
Ok, so a few months ago, I got a bag full of clothes from my grandma, and I just went through it. >.<, A lot of ugly stuff, it was a nightmare. I love my grandma, but I really wish she wouldn't try to buy me clothes. Anyways, back to the point of this topic. I'm not even going to attempt to try and make some of the clothes pretty, but I was going through the bag, and one of the shirts, even though its super ugly ( its made of 100% polyester o_O and is a shiny gold color) has some potential of being able to be made into something pretty. And I just happened to be going through some fabric my cousin got for me for a quilt she wanted me to make for her, and one of the fabrics matched it pretty well, and I got an idea, what if I tried making some kind of shirt with some fabric in a similar color to go over it? I was thinking something maybe lik a vest or something. But I don't know. I haven't even attempted making my own clothing before. Any ways, I just need some fabric that matches pretty well with the color of the shirt.

*will post a picture of the ugly shirt later, I have to get a new camera yet. I've been meaning to get a new one for months but haven't yet*  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:26 am
I'm a fan of Jo Ann's because it's convenient and they have a really good selection, though it can be pricey depending on what you're buying. There are a lot of online resources too, like Fabric.com that have an insane selection.

I also like to go to thrift stores and look for vintage sheets and curtains or just clothes that are made with interesting fabric that I can repurpose.  

madame trash heap

User_2629207

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:23 am
Rulin' ya universes...

Etsy and thrift stores and markets are great for finding unique, cute fabric. reprodepot has some really nice ones too ^^ But I think etsy is the best choice. If you take pics of some of the other pieces of clothing I'm sure we can all put our minds together and make an use of them xD
...since 1992.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:12 pm
I buy mine from DistinctiveFabric.com
They are very friendly and often give out discounts.
It's probably not the cheapest, but it's the best that I have found unless you find something special on ebay.  

CORNSiLKDreamer

8,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100

Rasabon

7,300 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am
I buy most of my fabric from WalMart, Hobby Lobby, or my local fabric store. If your WalMart has a fabric section, they should have a huge selection of fabric for $1/yard and $2/yard. But buy in bulk quick, because they're discontinuing their fabric. My Hobby Lobby also has some catalogs they can order fabric out of if they don't have it in stock.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games