Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Charities?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

bookaholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:24 pm
I'd discussed the possibility of making teddy bears for charity for Christmas with a couple of people. I mean, I hadn't even made plans as to where to donate them to, although I was leaning towards a children's hospital, like St. Jude's or something like that.

So today, I go to the gym and one of the ladies I'd talked to had a paper bag full of teddy bears for me! I felt really bad, because I'd made only one or two and she'd gotten her knitting group together to make a bunch.

The fact that I have like, thirty now instead of two makes me think that I should start looking for places. Problem is, I don't even know where to begin, or how to start looking. I'd prefer something local, something a little bit smaller. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, any suggestions?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:09 am
See if the local police department could use them. A lot of times, they have to deal with kids (esp. if they're following Social Services in), and a teddy bear or 2 might help keep the kids from freaking out. Something to hang on to, you know?

You could also try domestic violence and homeless shelters, the children's wards at hospitals (esp. preemie wards, although the bears are more for the parents to hang on to sweatdrop )  

AriRashkae

CORNSiLKDreamer

8,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:46 pm
The March of Dimes is a possibility, or if anyone is providing disaster relief. Children who have lost their homes often appreciate a stuffed toy to hold onto, it's something real and reassuring.
You should Google charities that help children and which are the most trustworthy.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:04 pm
You could donate to the Red Cross for the Hurricane Ike relief. I just heard on the news that there over 1 million people homeless and without power-much of those people are kids. It's something current and something like that could really lift a child's spirits--heck, even adults' spirits! If I were in any sort of trouble, a teddy bear would give me something to smile at!  

loves_funeral_song

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff