Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Times when its inappropriate to declare your atheism? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:58 am
Sharp Santini
But it could also be an adjective.

adjective
1. related to or characterized by or given to atheism; "atheist leanings"

adjective: "I'm atheist", as in, my beliefs are atheistic.

noun
1. someone who denies the existence of god
noun: "I am an atheist".

Besides, it's a little silly to be that prescriptionist with grammar.
User Image

As someone who's often been accused of being a grammar nazi, I agree with this post. XD Y'know, just for the record.

There are many situations where I don't share my atheism with people. Mostly in places where I feel like some form of emotional or physical harm may come to me or someone else. For example, my parents don't know and I don't know if I will ever tell them; I fear that if I did tell them, they would say hurtful and patronizing things about my character and then go on to annoy me by trying to reconvert me. Not to mention that it would probably hurt them somehow.

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:08 pm
I accidently let slip the fact that I'm atheist at the dinner table, with my extremely religious stepfather sitting across from me.

My stepfather thinks that's the reason my siblings and I fight alot. I just tell him no, it's because we're brother and sisters. He thinks God's gonna make us all cheerful, obedient children.  

Alphabet Whore

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:33 pm
Ruminating Skeptic
BTW, OP genius, the word atheist is a noun. Therefore, it's correct English to say "I'm an atheist". Just thought I'd let you know before a REAL grammar Nazi rips you to shreds.

I'm atheistic.

I wonder if that word can semanically be applied a person....  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:59 pm
Ruminating Skeptic

BTW, OP genius, the word atheist is a noun. Therefore, it's correct English to say "I'm an atheist". Just thought I'd let you know before a REAL grammar Nazi rips you to shreds.

God, man, no need to be insulting. neutral

"a·the·is·tic Audio Help /ˌeɪθiˈɪstɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ey-thee-is-tik] Pronunciation Key -
Show IPA Pronunciation
adjective
pertaining to or characteristic of atheists or atheism; containing, suggesting, or disseminating atheism: atheistic literature; atheistic people.

Also, a·the·is·ti·cal.  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

Boxed_Jam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 pm
In religion class.
Except it wasn't me who declared it.
One of my 'ever-so-dear-to-me-friends' spilled the beans to the teacher about my Atheism.
I was planning on keeping it hidden under my coat, so to speak, for the entire duration of the semester so as not to affect my evaluation.
Anyway, it resulted in the teacher having a long talk with me about how being a 'god-hater' as I am (according to her) is wrong, yada yada yada.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:46 am
Once, when I was 8, I didn't want to church, having just converted having seen a disabled person at my school. Anyway.

They wanted to get me confirmed. I went into the church, then broke free and screamed "I AM AN ATHEIST!!" I then ran off and sat outside the church.

That was inappropriate and rude. A bad idea to admit you're an atheist whe your being confirmed. I have never been forgiven >_< Hey, I was 8.

But now, I'm more tolerant, I just go along with it, but stoutly refuse to sing hymns or pray.

I'm Buddhist and atheist, if that makes sense. Buddhism is a philosophy, though many people believe (mistakenly) that it's a religion. Extreme Buddhism is a religion. They have a god. Normal, I like to call it "casual" buddhism, doesn't. But yeah. Went off-topic. Sorry. I'm trying to learn the Tao Te Ching off by heart. My version has 81 pages. Small ones. But still. Went off-topic again sorry. Meh. Bye.  

i theta

Phantom

10,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tycoon 200
  • Megathread 100

PathlessPlot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:33 am
Alphabet Whore
I accidently let slip the fact that I'm atheist at the dinner table, with my extremely religious stepfather sitting across from me.

My stepfather thinks that's the reason my siblings and I fight alot. I just tell him no, it's because we're brother and sisters. He thinks God's gonna make us all cheerful, obedient children.

Pshh. My brother and I used to be Mormon, and we have always fought like cats and dogs. I once ran him over with a bicycle (It was half his fault. I swear.)

I love my Mom though. I told her I was atheist and she said that I was just going through a phase. That I would eventually come back to the "light". rofl That's so funny.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:55 am
Rebo socks rocks
Alphabet Whore

Pshh. My brother and I used to be Mormon, and we have always fought like cats and dogs. I once ran him over with a bicycle (It was half his fault. I swear.)

I love my Mom though. I told her I was atheist and she said that I was just going through a phase. That I would eventually come back to the "light". rofl That's so funny.

That reminded me of this kid I met when I was at my town's festival. HE wore all black and looked like Trent Reznor's little brother. When I talked to him he told me he was a fervent Christian, and that he lived in the dark so he could see God's light. xd I thought that was funny.

Dathu

Newbie Noob

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas