Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)
Identity

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who am I?
  I know who I am!
  I know who I usually am, most of the time.
  I have no idea, but finding out is exciting!
  I don't care...
View Results

Viscerim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:43 pm
I followed a link on a previous post concerning "otherkin" and read a bit about identity, and I came to wonder: has anybody solved the riddle of their identity? And if so, what tools helped you in doing so?

I have many books that suggest the most important first step to casting is to understand who you are, what your purpose is, and what you'd like to contribute to the world, but I can never come up with an answer that I always believe. Also, in the past I have looked into the Abby of Thelema and I asked myself, "What is my 'Will'? Why do I live? What does my every action strive for?" I always come up with a blank!

Any advice is appreciated, and any company in this dilema is welcome! smile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:00 pm
I believe we are different at different points in our lives. I'm a firm believer in reincarnation. Sometimes former lives intrude into the present one. On a day to day basis, I frequently feel differently about my self. If we are improving at all, we won't be the same person all the time, so, it's kind of a mute point. Don't ask who you are or why you are, just be.  

M0IRA

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:49 am
hmm... well now, this is very interesting, because it is my current struggle.

you see, recently, it came up that my personal life and desires were very much destroyed by the fact that my personality is unstable, and in my madness i can become a completely different person than myself as i am now. it has always been just an accepted part of my life that i could have periods of time in which i simply take on a random personality and shut down being me. and the woman i fell in love with was not ok with that. she gave me the task of proving that i can become stable. it isn't my madness that she cannot accept, it is my instability of self.

and so, i am trying to understand how to be certain of who i am, and thereby maintain my personality.

i have come across a number of interesting concepts in television programs, video games and novels, as well as things people have said. i will share what i have retained.

there was an episode of The Mighty Boosh (a brittish comedy) in which Howard and Vince are trying to make a smash hit and get a record deal, but they can't seem to find a good new sound. Nabou, their boss (and a member of the Board of Shamans), decides to share with them a story of some famous musicians on their quest for the new sound.

the characters names were Rudy (a Priest with a door in his forehead, who played guitar), and Spider (a bongo-player with 8 penises). an interesting thing to note is, that my name is Spider, and i play the Djimbe, which is an african hand drum.

anyway, they have a little fight, because Rudy hates women cause his ex-wife cheated on him with everyone, including Spider, who sleeps with everyone's wives anyway. Spider says he's going to call Carlos Santana, but gets sidetracked by a woman who leads him to a town populated entirely by women.

turns out there is a monster there, Beatamax, who is basically an 8-track tape who kills all the men and has his way with all the women. Rudy and Spider hide in a barn, and Rudy proposes that they stand and fight. Spider doesn't want to get killed, so Rudy conjures up two tickets to see Santana live (they come out of the door in his head), and Spider starts to take the tickets and leave, but can't find the will to turn his back on his friend, saying that they are Bongo-Brothers.

this act of love grants him a forehead door. which he uses to defeat Beatamax (who specifically wants to kill Spider for sleeping with his wife. go figure). he opens the door in his forehead by "opening his mind", and out pops a remote control which he use sto rewind Beatamax. they then tape ovr him with a song made from the New Sound that they found.

the name of that episode was The Beast And The Priest, and there was a line in he show where Spider makes fun of Rudy for thinking he's a Priest, only to have the retort "better a Priest than a Beast". another interesting note, is that my astral body has a Beast-Form that feels natural to be in.

anywho, another interesting thing to note... an anime called Big O has an entire storyline based on people not knowing who they are. they all lost their memories 40 years ago and just live their lives according to the proffession that they notice they have. an interesting concept comes to mind, that what if all identity was, is name and proffession? what if you are only who you think you are, who you portray, what you do? what if identity is a completely subjective thing? it would certainly make it potentialy easier to know who you were, wouldn't it?

i also would look into such animes as Ghost In The Shell (paying specially close attention to the Tachikoma units), Cowboy Bebop, Deathnote, and Gode Geass. each of these has alot of references to identity, personality, behavior and life, and has many points to philosophize on.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:41 pm
Chieftain Twilight
what if you are only who you think you are, who you portray, what you do? what if identity is a completely subjective thing?

This is a rather old post of mine, and I have absolutely answered myself time and time again. Now-a-days, I do indeed believe identity is not true or inherent, but rather a situation based on your surroundings, your biology, and your memories while you are making them.

I am sorry to hear about your instability issue, but I would like to propose perhaps you are not without a stable and constant self, but rather, that you are rebelling against it. Thanks for your input, and I hope things improve for you.  

Viscerim

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:21 pm
Viscerim
Chieftain Twilight
what if you are only who you think you are, who you portray, what you do? what if identity is a completely subjective thing?

This is a rather old post of mine, and I have absolutely answered myself time and time again. Now-a-days, I do indeed believe identity is not true or inherent, but rather a situation based on your surroundings, your biology, and your memories while you are making them.

I am sorry to hear about your instability issue, but I would like to propose perhaps you are not without a stable and constant self, but rather, that you are rebelling against it. Thanks for your input, and I hope things improve for you.

*nods.* aye, i was beginning to think along similar lines yself. thank you. i'm pretty sure that all i realy have to do is just relax and feel confidant that i am who i am and that i should cling to my identity, not based on any exterior reasons, but rather just because i am who i want to be. you know that saying, "I Think, therefore I Am."

in the spirit of inner peace, i'll finish with a blessing. Ohm Numah Shivaya. Ohm Tryambakamya jamahae, su ghandin pushti vardanam, urvaa rukamiva bandhanam, mrityor mukshiya maritaat.  
The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games