Age old question. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boolean Julian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:37 am
Falathrim
Breedin Orcs with Men just gives you an Uruk-hai.

Hmm. I'm not sure that's true. I'm fairly certain that breeding Orcs with Men producces something called Half-Orcs. The Uruk-Hai were created by Sauron, I think at the beginning of tthe Second Age, although I don't know how.
I'm not sure about any of thatm though.
(I decided to ignore the fact that everyone is totally off topic now) mrgreen
EDIT: just checked the Encyclopedia of Arda
Uruk Hai:The great soldier-Orcs that first appeared in the late Third Age; they were larger and stronger than their forebears, and could withstand the light of the Sun.
Half-Orcs: Creatures bred from Orcs and Men by the Wizard Saruman in his stronghold at Isengard. Like Sauron's Uruk-hai, they could withstand sunlight. The more Man-like of them, of perhaps a slightly different breed, were known as Goblin-men.
Doesn't say anything about how Uruk-Hai were created, but at least it clarifies terms. Seems I was wrong about Uruks being first created in the Second Age. Also, it seems to me highly unlikely that Gothmog was a Half-Orc, since, according to EoA, they were created by Saruman during the War of the Ring, and there's no way Gothmog is thaat young.
I'd been a bit confused by Gandalf's line in the movies (can't remember if it's in the books): "Saruman has crossed orcs with Goblin Men". However, looking at the EoA entry for Half-Orcs, I think this is almost certainly a mistake, and doesn't come from Tolkien.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:13 am
I was under the impression that he was one of the first Uruk-Hai, but I think that he could have been an Easterling or Harad captain, because there had to be some officers from those two groups at the battle of Pelennor Fields, considering the parts those two armies played in the battle and the Siege of Gondor.  

Eruresto

Serni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:42 pm
Melian
I always assumed he was an Orc. Just bigger and a little smarter than your average Orc.

3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:59 am
Nice little detour in the middle about stereotypes...would add something about stereotypes about Chinese or just Asian Americans, but feels necessity to comment.

The first time I read the Return of the King, I think I accidentally overlooked Gothmog. So when I saw the script for the movie, it was after I read the Silmarillion and both BoLT, so firmly imbedded in my mind was Gothmog lord of Balrogs...

I would have imagined a lieutenant couldn't have made that rank without being special in some way. We are never told that orcs are dumb, but it doesn't seem like they'd be the most intelligent creatures, either. So basically, I think that Gothmog must have been at least partially human, not that humans are all intelligent... xp  

Ithilvalan

GreyRauken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:40 pm
Falathrim
I always pictured him as a Black Numenorean.

Ditto. He reminded me of the Mouth, who was also a Black Numenorean.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:05 am
I pictured him as a Black Numenorean, or as an Uruk-Hai. But it could be conceivable that he was a Easterling.  

Eruresto

Feathoron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:04 pm
Zach McClure
I'd always thought he was an old Orc, like one that Melkor made kind of old.
Ditto. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:15 am
Normally you would think due to the "survival of the fittest" concept, He would be really large and fierce.....and need to stand out, so yeah probably a hybrid of some sort, and definitely have to be more intelligent than the average orc.

Btw, what do you mean by an old orc? They kinda look ageless to me.....since they have been made in the mockery of elves.....plus the grime and tattoos, scars, tattered pieces of skin would cover up any wrinkles.  

Rudhe
Captain

Eudor16

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:10 pm
Well I support Robert Foster, so I think Gothmog was the 2nd Nazgul so he took control of the fight and lost it  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:27 am
I think I just assumed he was an orc who had a really high rank.  

The_Ginatron

Questionable Humorist

Rudhe
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:10 am
Eudor16
Well I support Robert Foster, so I think Gothmog was the 2nd Nazgul so he took control of the fight and lost it

I have heard that Robert Foster book is an unreliable canon source. Anyone read the books that knows?

@Ginatron, I think in the movie that's how they portrayed Gothmog. Although, I think I might have missed him in the books. Time to reread me thinks.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:25 am
This is Gothmog in the movies.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

the master of frogs

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:39 am
My sisters and I call him the Misshapen Potato Face. rofl  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Misshapen potato face? That's more flattering than what my friend and I called him.  

Tears of the Siren

Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces