Submit

Antlers

5,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:02 pm
User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I just found out that an older manga from Japan, "Swan" is being released in America. Here's how Wikipedia summed it up:

The plot mostly follows a young girl, Masumi, as she struggles to become a ballerina. The first volume begins with Masumi sneaking backstage after a Tokyo ballet performance in order to express her admiration for the lead dancers, Sayoko and Kusakabe . However, when she meets the young stars, Masumi becomes tongue-tied and clumsily begins to dance. Sayoko graciously excuses her, and Masumi returns home slightly embarrassed. Later, Masumi receives an invitation to enter a nation-wide ballet competition. The competition is being held to discover the best ballet students in Japan, in order to invite them to an exclusive ballet school designed to improve the quality of Japanese ballet. Her impromptu dance for Sayoko and Kusakabe captured the attention of one of the contest's organizers, and so Masumi goes to Tokyo in order to compete.

Once there, Masumi encounters Sayoko and Kusakabe again - this time as competitors. However, the three become friends, along with Aoi, Kusakabe's friendly rival. Out of the eight finalists, Masumi and her three new friends are all accepted. However, Masumi is obviously the weakest of the eight. She must un-learn the bad habits she picked up at her former ballet school.

Future volumes continue Masumi's entrance into the competitive world of ballet.

~~
I have one issue that I bought (it's all in Japanese though), but I'm planning to make my way to Boarders to check out the rest of the series. Like a lot of other manga published in the 70s, the art isn't spectacular, but the story is supposed to be quite good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:11 pm
Oooh! heart thanks for posting this! I think that I'll check the first volume out of the library tomorrow.  

ballerina_crystlee

men getting pregnant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:10 pm
The plotline seems OK, but the art looks blegh... I can't read a bad-looking manga. xp

Thanks for posting, though, I thought Princess Tutu was the only ballet manga/anime! n-n  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:22 pm
there's also another ballet manga called forbidden dance.
however it's almost impossible to find it on the internet.
i found it at my local library. 3nodding it's a great series.  

CelestialAngel20

Illustrious Verse
Captain

Beloved Fatcat

7,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:33 pm
hatori5

i read some of forbidden dance online. i can't remember the web site though. otherwise i'd share.
but i didn't like the art for it, and the story that i did read wasn't really my thing.

but yeah, if you guys are looking for ballet manga it's certainly something else to try.

i loved the princess tutu anime. never got to read the manga.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:37 pm
It is a great manga! I love it. My friend got me the first book for my birthday and we bought the next two really soon after. We thought Princess Tutu was the only one, too, but... *shrugs*
Anyway, it's more ballet-world based than PTT. Like about classes and stuff instead of an uber-ballerina-duck-girl xP  

PunkNarumi

Illustrious Verse
Captain

Beloved Fatcat

7,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:43 pm
Illustrious Verse
hatori5

i read some of forbidden dance online. i can't remember the web site though. otherwise i'd share.
but i didn't like the art for it, and the story that i did read wasn't really my thing.

but yeah, if you guys are looking for ballet manga it's certainly something else to try.

i loved the princess tutu anime. never got to read the manga.

i found another manga that's supposed to be about a girl that takes up ballet.
it's titled "Dance! Subaru" User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

you can read some of it at mangafox.com.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:03 pm
Ooo nice thanks I'll check it out  

akalivs

BallisticBallerina
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:38 am
Sounds good! I think I"ll have to check it out!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:24 pm
yeah i will have to see if i can find some of those ^.^  

Candance Lorelle

Beloved Friend

5,700 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200

plastic juicebox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:13 pm
OMG I actually squeed when I read this. I'm pretty obsessed, I have every single volume. You get really into the story and the dancers are actually pictured with good technique (it always bugs me when people don't know how to draw ballet :S).  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:06 pm
How many volumes are in the swan series?
I can only find 2.  

colorfulballet

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces