Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
God exists; YOU are the deluded one Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Can God microwave a burrito so hot that He Himself cannot hold in His palm?
  Yes, he is so great that he can do contradictory things
  No, that's an illogical question that can't be taken seriously
  Ummm, Dude... God's a chick
View Results

StevenStBlaize

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:07 am
So many good points. I'm glad to know that people SOMEWHERE in the world are thinking. Hahah.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:30 pm
Quote:
1- Atheists have no morals because they have nowhere to turn to to get their morals

Morals are subjective and usually defined by the ruling class and their culture.

Quote:
2- Atheists believe life is meaningless because we arose with no cause

I can't say this is wrong, there is no objective meaning to life, we were not made for some greater cause. It's just a coincidence that we exist on this planet.

Quote:
3- The universe is so perfectly designed. The earth is so perfectly positioned for life so that life can actually live on earth without freezing or burning to death. It all just works out too perfectly. Someone must've made it like that

I'd like to point out all the stars that have died and will die, the fact that our sun will burn out eventually, the planets that collide with each other, the planets that aren't close enough or are too far away so they burn or freeze, and the fact that we haven't found other life in all of space. If it was so perfect why are we the only ones out here? Also if the Earth was designed so perfectly and especially designed for us, why are there so many natural disasters that kill so many? I would expect a perfectly designed world wouldn't suffer from so many imperfections.

Quote:
4- Nothing can only come from nothing; so where did this first something come from? How?
Who knows, science hasn't found out how yet, so I won't assume that I know an answer to that question.

Quote:
5- A great majority of people believe in God. Do you really think they're ALL wrong?

I would point out the millions of people who don't believe in said God and ask them if they are ALL wrong. Then I'd go on to explain that truth=/=what the most people think. Most people used to believe Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11...

Quote:
6- What about all those people who claim that they can feel God's presence and can actually converse with him? Are you calling them all liars?

Yes because I used to be one of those people and I figure that feeling inside was just me wanting to speak to God, and me thinking it was me somehow communicating with Him. I'd call it wishful thinking, but once I grew up the feeling went away. Children want to belong...  

Revolutionary Justice

4,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Statustician 100

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:28 pm
Quote:
1- Atheists have no morals because they have nowhere to turn to to get their morals
Christians have the commandments, Kantians have the categorical imperrative, communists have their own: "The wellbeing of the revolution is the greatest good".
So yeah, we haz a morals toooooooo

Quote:
2- Atheists believe life is meaningless because we arose with no cause

Life is meaningless because there is no meaning. I certainly have a cause! My dad ******** my mum! I think someone needs to learn some basic biology...

Quote:
3- The universe is so perfectly designed. The earth is so perfectly positioned for life so that life can actually live on earth without freezing or burning to death. It all just works out too perfectly. Someone must've made it like that

And life is prolly on whatever other planets are so 'perfectly designed' for life.

Quote:
4- Nothing can only come from nothing; so where did this first something come from? How?

Hegel

Being
Being, pure being, without any further determination. In its indeterminate immediacy it is equal only to itself. It is also not unequal relatively to an other; it has no diversity within itself nor any with a reference outwards. It would not be held fast in its purity if it contained any determination or content which could be distinguished in it or by which it could be distinguished from an other. It is pure indeterminateness and emptiness. There is nothing to be intuited in it, if one can speak here of intuiting; or, it is only this pure intuiting itself. Just as little is anything to be thought in it, or it is equally only this empty thinking. Being, the indeterminate immediate, is in fact nothing, and neither more nor less than nothing.

Nothing
Nothing, pure nothing: it is simply equality with itself, complete emptiness, absence of all determination and content — undifferentiatedness in itself. In so far as intuiting or thinking can be mentioned here, it counts as a distinction whether something or nothing is intuited or thought. To intuit or think nothing has, therefore, a meaning; both are distinguished and thus nothing is (exists) in our intuiting or thinking; or rather it is empty intuition and thought itself, and the same empty intuition or thought as pure being. Nothing is, therefore, the same determination, or rather absence of determination, and thus altogether the same as, pure being.

Becoming
Pure Being and pure nothing are, therefore, the same. What is the truth is neither being nor nothing, but that being — does not pass over but has passed over — into nothing, and nothing into being. But it is equally true that they are not undistinguished from each other, that, on the contrary, they are not the same, that they are absolutely distinct, and yet that they are unseparated and inseparable and that each immediately vanishes in its opposite. Their truth is therefore, this movement of the immediate vanishing of the one into the other: becoming, a movement in which both are distinguished, but by a difference which has equally immediately resolved itself.

Funnily enough, what Hegel put as a characteristic of thought, is currently accepted as true, though not in as many words, by current subatomic theory...

Quote:
5- A great majority of people believe in God. Do you really think they're ALL wrong?

Yup

Quote:
6- What about all those people who claim that they can feel God's presence and can actually converse with him? Are you calling them all liars?

Liars, misunderstanding, confused. But some of them definitely are liars.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff