Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Best and Worst Crafting Moments?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CORNSiLKDreamer

8,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:37 am
Let's all share our highest and lowest craft moments.

Lowest:
Not exactly a crafting experience, but I once accidentally set my curtain on fire with a stick of incense. I'm counting it because I often use scents to inspire my Muse.
Luckily, I was able to douse it quickly and it only caused a small hole.

Highest:
My highest moment would be either when I made Jackle http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/NiGHTSAptiva/Plushies/JacklePlush.jpg
or Frisket http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/NiGHTSAptiva/Plushies/Frisket007.jpg
Probably Jackle, because that's the one that went up on NiGHTSintoDreams.com and was recognized as the first known Jackle plush.
(sorry if you don't know the characters, the site will explain though)  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:42 am
Lowest crafting moment: Also has much to do with fire. xd I was messing with some wax and had several candles lit. I bent over the table and, as this was when my hair was still more than half way down my back, lit the end of my hair on fire. I doused the fire instantly, but my room and myself smelled of burned hair for weeks, it seemed. And that smell is horrid.

Best crafting moment: The day I moved into my new studio. My parents built me a studio in our basement to get my stuff out of the rest of the house. As a design student and die hard crafter, I have more crap than most people could dream of owning. My studio is fantastic. I have a huge closet for all my design stupplies, drawers under the counters for my yarn and beads. There are countertops across two walls and my TV and Wii live down here, too. ^^ Theres nothing like putting down your knitting and playing a friend at Wii bowling, then resuming the knitting when your done. xd  

Silver Mist

CORNSiLKDreamer

8,750 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:19 pm
Ooh, yeah burnt hair is nasty! It's good that you got it put out fast!
And lucky, all I have is a tiny nook in my kitchen area (it's built into my room)  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:35 pm
I think the studio was a move to protect their budget as much as it was to move my stuff. My design supplies can get really, really pricey. When my dad ended up owing me $50 for two cans of spray paint, that was that- construction began. (it was automotive paint- he thought it was plain spray paint and used it)  

Silver Mist

Aki Yasu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:29 am
Ohhhh, let me think... so many choices... Worst crafting moument, the time I knitted my aunt a sweater. I put so much work into it. spent months choosing the right pattern, the right yarn. Carfully correcting all my mistakes, only to finish and find out that the yarn manufacture people had CHANGED DYE LOTS right in the middle of the cone of yarn I had bought. the change hadn't been noticeable till I stepped back to look at it.
Best crafting moument, First time I managed to make a set of glasses in ceramics that acctually looked like a set.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:00 pm
Worst = When I first starting sewing, I used my grandma's machine a lot when I went over and experimented with cutting up old slips and sewing them to other things. Unfortunately I stuck my thumb too close the needle when pushing it through (kind of old machine and it needed to be pushed), and baaaaam. The needle went through a few layers of skin and bled. Not a bunch but that's the most damage I've done besides the usual pins and pricks. xd

Best = Getting hella awesome at embroidery. cool It just keeps paying off, haha.  

Isabelle

9,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

bookaholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:38 pm
Worst: Finding out, after knitting the body and one arm of the sweater, that I wasn't going to have enough yarn to do the other sleeve.

Best: Getting a gigantic chest of drawers to organize all my various yarns, needles, etc.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:51 am
Worst Crafting Moment: Unwittingly using embroidery thread to try to hold a plushie together. gonk It was awful; it kept falling apart!

Best Crafting Moment: When I made my Rip Van Winkle doll. Out of the three plushies I've made so far, she's turned out the best.  

Sweet Imaginary Friend

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:15 am
Hmmm....

Worst crafting moment was a long duration of moments- staying up until past three four nights in a row to get two very boring garter stitch scarves finished before Christmas (I am not a night owl).

Best moment was seeing my best-friend walk down the aisle in the wedding gown I'd made for her, looking absolutely stunningly beautiful. That was wonderful.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:23 pm
Worst: I was re-embroidering some antique pillow cases that my great-grandmother had brought over from Sicily when she first came to America because alot of the old stitching had come out over time. I was using a seam ripper to undo the fold over seam on one the cases and in my stupidity I rushed the job and sliced a HUGE hole into the case. crying It was still salvagable as it was near the seam and could be sewed over, but I was still soooo upset.

Best: My grandmother had been embroidering a table cloth for my mom but never got to finish before she passed away from cancer, which was almost 20 years ago. Last year, I found the unfinished project when looking through some old boxes at my mom's house. I snuck it out of her house, finished it, and then gave it to my mom for christmas. The look on her face was awesome when she opened the present.  

madame trash heap

Supertheory

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:33 pm
madame trash heap
Best: My grandmother had been embroidering a table cloth for my mom but never got to finish before she passed away from cancer, which was almost 20 years ago. Last year, I found the unfinished project when looking through some old boxes at my mom's house. I snuck it out of her house, finished it, and then gave it to my mom for christmas. The look on her face was awesome when she opened the present.

That is SO heartwarming.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:33 am
Best: I made a felt flower for a friend who'd gotten in a car accident, and it turned out beautifully despite the fact that it was the first time I worked with felt -- and it all came together perfectly right before I had to give it to her, so it really felt like luck was working for me.

Worst: I was trying to make a classic lolita jumperskirt.... and ended up making a hippie sundress. ....It's, uh, still in the process, though, since it's almost a total loss...

I'm also have loads of problems with my sister stealing my knitting needles to start her stuff and then abandoning her projects in the middle. I can't use my needles, since she gets super angry if I mess with her stuff. ....So. Uh. Yeah. She's using both of my US13 sets right now, and she's not going to get done with either of her projects any time soon (she stole both of them from projects I was doing....)  

Castilleja

Sparkly Genius

9,850 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Timid 100

Evagaline

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:15 pm
Worst: I found this amazing sweater pattern and figured I was ready for a challenge. I spent weeks working my way through the first half of the instructions, only to find that the designer had left out instructions on how to do certain segments! *cries* I'm still trying to figure out the increases and decreases for that thing!

Best: I made this beautiful afghan that was comprised of 2x2 inch squares and that made up into a pattern of violets. It felt AMAZING to finish it up and give it as a gift to my friend's parents. And the best part is, I've seen them use it!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:06 pm
cutting on the bias. forgot that it twists the fabric...but in the end the octopus costume turned out awesome!! you can see it at http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/55/l_a058d5df3e0a460b9bc226342c18150a.jpg it's my best creation yet, sadly I "donated" it to the costume department at Utah State. oh well. at least I have the memory, and this picture (finally only took 2 years for them to reply). sweatdrop  

dkpuppets

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff