Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Woohoo! Go JFC?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Why does it seem difficult to find God a lot of the time?
  Because you aren't trying hard enough
  he likez hide n go seek
  He's too busy messing with us
  Because God lives in a different time zone; so he's asleep when we're awake mostly
View Results

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:08 pm
Alright... well, my school has a Christian club named "JFC" (Jaguars [our mascot] For Christ). I am very ashamed that I was one of the people that actually helped kickstart the club. It was the beginning of the year; I was still deluded (I was a Christian. I wouldn't say I was a hardcore one, but I believed in Christ, etc.). I shouldn't put blame on others but my coming back to Christianity was highly influenced by my friends (most of my friends are Christian; a lot of them are DEVOUT Christians). I basically went from Deism to Christianity, even though I didn't know what "deism" even meant at the time. I simply didn't believe in a personal God that interferes with out daily lives, but I still believed in some sort of Creator that started things off for us.
Well, I only become more rational when I started questioning my faith more, over the summer (I became an atheist over the summer). I started exploring the Theory of Evolution(to educate myself because I still thought it was interesting regardless if I believed in it or not) and still, at the same time, asked my friend(vice president of JFC) questions about Christianity. My friend never gave me any convincing answers that made me go "Oh, Christianity IS right."
Anyways, this morning, the vice president of JFC made an announcement to the school (to let everyone know there would be a JFC meeting at lunch) and he even stated something along these lines: "Did you ever wonder why God allows suffering? Did you ever have questions about God? Do you have more questions about your loving God and who created everything? Well, there's a Christian club meaning today in room 21. Anyone is welcome if they have questions."
Now... I KNOW at least one of my teachers got annoyed by that Lol. One of my teachers is probably an atheist but I'm not sure. He seems very rational and I know he rejects Christianity even though he grew up in a VERY Christian environment (I mean he can honestly quote many many MANY verses from the bible... way more than any average Christian). I KNOW that he's at least against being brought up religious, and doesn't like organize religion very much.
I was thinking though... if the Christian Club were allowed an announcement like that, if someone made a "Rationalist Club" or "Atheists United Club" or something of that sort, would we technically be ALLOWED to make an announcement stating something like "Did you ever question your religion? Do you ever lose faith? Do you disagree with your religion in any way? Well, if you seek the TRUTH then please... we welcome you to the Atheists United [or Rationalist] Club. Anyone with questions is welcome"
I wonder how that would work Lol. I would not let the principal KNOW that I was making that sort of announcement; I'd just say "I want to make an announcement letting people know about the meeting." I'm sure some people would get annoyed, especially the many Christians at my school and perhaps some parents if the little students came home and told their parents that someone was telling them God didn't exist.
Honestly though... if someone were ALLOWED to say that over the school announcements, shouldn't an other be as equally ALLOWED to say whatever he or she believes over the announcements too?

Discuss:
-Should JFC be ALLOWED to make that sort of announcement?
-Should I be ALLOWED to make an announcement claiming God doesn't exist
-Should I be ALLOWED to make some sort of rational atheist club?
-Your path to atheism  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:16 am
User Image

Well, according to the rules (or what I assume the rules would be for you, based on the rules at my old school), if their group is allowed to make such an announcement, an atheist club should be allowed to do the same thing. If the atheists aren't allowed, the Christians shouldn't be, either. Depending on where you live, probably, your school may or may not be fair enough to allow that.

But if I were going to make an announcement about an atheist club, or any kind of controversial/religious club in general, I'd definitely ask for permission as specifically as possible.

User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Sors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:30 am
Sors
Depends where you live. You might get away with it on the west coast or possible parts of the midwest, I doubt you could get away with it in the south or east coast. :/
Or at least that's my impression.
User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:30 am
Sors
Sors
Depends where you live. You might get away with it on the west coast or possible parts of the midwest, I doubt you could get away with it in the south or east coast. :/
User Image
East coast? I live outside of DC on the east coast, and it's not very religious here at all. People would more than likely be able to make this announcement without hassle at a public school.

Xiporah

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:17 pm
Xiporah
Sors
Sors
User Image
East coast? I live outside of DC on the east coast, and it's not very religious here at all. People would more than likely be able to make this announcement without hassle at a public school.

Lol. I live on the west coast now. It's not particularly super religious or anything but it's pretty religious where I live. People will honestly really look down on you, especially the adults, if you're an atheist. They probably assume atheists hate God or something. The teens etc. are pretty religious but aren't as judgemental. I used to live on the east coast (Canada [Quebec and Ontario]). I know that Quebec was very liberal and not religious at all. I mean, lots of people believed in God or even had a religion but didn't really care or even go to church.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:44 pm
Do you happen to go too valley center, because I go there now(always have exept last year then moved back), and the Valley Center mascot is the Jaguar..and everyone IS very religious with few atheists...I just really want to know. Also the whole club thing sounds like something from VCHS, due to everyone being strongly religious.  

Asterisk07

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:55 pm
Asterisk07
Do you happen to go too valley center, because I go there now(always have exept last year then moved back), and the Valley Center mascot is the Jaguar..and everyone IS very religious with few atheists...I just really want to know. Also the whole club thing sounds like something from VCHS, due to everyone being strongly religious.

Lol no. I go to this really unknown school in Victorville, CA

I hate how people are so religious. I wouldn't care so much if they were like Christian and when I talked about my atheism they would just shrug. Buuuut noooo. It sucks; I can accept it as long as these Christians don't get any special privileges like making announcements on the intercom...
My BEST friends are Christian... and have a pretty strong belief in it too. My girlfriend is pretty Christian too but I love her so I accept her delusion... the same way she accepts me even though I bet she'd love it if I were still Christian sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:20 pm
D i v i n i t y
Asterisk07

Lol no. I go to this really unknown school in Victorville, CA

I hate how people are so religious. I wouldn't care so much if they were like Christian and when I talked about my atheism they would just shrug. Buuuut noooo. It sucks; I can accept it as long as these Christians don't get any special privileges like making announcements on the intercom...
My BEST friends are Christian... and have a pretty strong belief in it too. My girlfriend is pretty Christian too but I love her so I accept her delusion... the same way she accepts me even though I bet she'd love it if I were still Christian sweatdrop

*huuuuh*..well still Valley Centers pretty similer..I mean they have 2-3 clubs that have to do with christianity, but there groups for different branches of christians.
Today I almost had Mario(very annoying person) ride on the bus next to me and try to convert me. Luckily he was too buissy trying to do that too the guy behind me. My agnostic friends were telling me about him trying to convert them...and they had funny comments to what he sayed and stuff...but either way, really religious, and EVERYONES religious at my school. of course a few agnostics. A few people that say there atheists but there not. And then theres me, pretty much the only accuall atheist at my school.  

Asterisk07

Edi Gammon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:04 pm
In public schools I think that students are allowed to organize any kind of club they want as long as the administration allows it. They can't stop the students from having a religious club, but they're also not allowed to do any of the organization or running of the activities of the club. Faculty, on the other hand are not part of the administration, so they can create and run clubs for the students.

Depending on how much courage your principal has, he may or may not allow you to make an announcement claiming god doesn't exist if it's used in advertising your club. At the minimum, your principal will know that having an atheist club could stir up trouble... potentially a lot. It's his job to keep trouble to a minimum and maintain a safe environment. You should be allowed to have whatever kind of club you want... but you do have to go through the boss to get an OK. If that doesn't work you can try going to his boss, superintendent, director or whatever... then to the school board. If all else fails, run a gorilla campaign of posting fliers everywhere advertising the start of your own club without the school's permission.

If you really want to get together and discuss the issues outside of school, there's nothing that can stop you. You've got the U.S. Constitution on your side there.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games