Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
do we need religon? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

J. Dragonhater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:28 pm
Mitsh
I second (or third) what Sakai and Talnari said. You don't require any kind of religious, faith or magickal system in order to investigate the paranormal. If anything, a strong sense of scientific procedures would be handy.

Religion's purpose, other than as a means of controlling the masses for the benifit of a select few, is to explain what science cannot. But if you accept that science will eventually be able to explain everything, then you no longer need religion. To qoute my old science teacher 'God made it, man explains it.' I don't believe in his god but that's irrelevant.

Everything can be looked at, if perhaps not fully understood, by using the scientific methods. They work for a reason. Mitsh is right. Religion can be a comfort but it's completely unnessesasry.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:50 am
You know it's funny, but science has proven that bumblebees are not able to fly. Yet still they fly. Science is not infallible.

Anyways, to answer the main question:
I believe that you do not need a set religion, you merely need to know what you believe and be open to new ideas. I think that being open to new things is the most important because it means that you will not ignore what is in front of you and you will be able to explore various options because of it.
The reason why I say that you need to know what you believe in (because even those who do not believe in God believe in something, even if it's science) is because that gives you faith and strength of the heart and will. Things like that help you on such a journey through the paranormal. At least, that is my belief.

Mistreena

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:23 pm
religion's purpose in the world has always been to guide people by way of belief in some idea of or belief in divine rules of right and wrong. that institution is pretty outdated.

belief in a god or gods does not require a religious institution, your belief can be a non-religious spirituality, a personal relationship with your deity. furthermore, a person does not need to believe in any higher being either.

on the other hand, if a person DOES feel that to be religious is right for them there is nothing wrong with that either, provided they don't shove it down anyone's throats.

so, no, you don't NEED a religion. you can find your own way.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:28 am
faith has more logic than a logical fact or Ideology (set of rules)  

Silouz Imperial

3,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200

Oborosen

5,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:11 pm
You see that is a bad problem for most, I myself understand the area you see this from.

No matter what I say it will not change my position. But I myself do not believe in religion. I do however believe in the God's.

It may seem strange, but from my life I have seen allot of things that could change many peoples perspective. Everything from apparitions, visions, and material creations.

And horrible things as well, but that's another topic.

Its hard to explain, but there are so many reasons for me to hate organized religion. But you cannot undermine your faith.
There are gods and goddesses that watch over.

Become a investigator and use your faith as a gateway to help yourself coheir to your task. Maybe you will find the answers fall into place very easily. GL  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:58 pm
over the years, i have compiled a set of beliefs that i refer to as my "religion". Really it's a mishmash of various religions, and concepts that i came up with myself.

But then again, being an aspiring Chaote, my views change a lot.

But as far as my family is concerned, i am a "seeker".

Do i think that I NEED religion? Nope.

But i find it comforting to believe in something, when life gets too overwhelming.

EDIT: Whoops. I forgot to relate that rant to the original post. My bad.

As far as Paranormal Investigation is converned, Religion isn't 100% needed. It can be useful, sure. And if someone happens to get possessed (which I believe can happen), then a religous person would be helpful as hell to have around. But as possessions are very rare, as are Demonic Hauntings, I think religion isn't a neccesity.

You will most likely need something more than pure science, though. Science does not even acknowledge the existence of the soul or spirits. So you are already taking something on faith by investigating something they believe is nothing more than mere superstition.  

-X-Luciferin-X-Bandit-X-

yo_wtf

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:53 am
TragicRabbit616
i want to be a paranormal investigator and my mom says i need to have a firm religous background but im not a really religous person
iacctualy dnt beleive in god
do i need religon?

it depends. do you think you do?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:24 am
You need to understand religion and respect the faith of others.
It helps, also, to have a clear opinion on just where the spirits are going.
Often they stick around because they are antsy about leaving this world. It's safe, familiar. Their homes are resting places between the beginning and the end. You need to be able to identify with that so you can effectively sympathize with the spirits. Firm assurance that their final home will not be a void, empty existence but will be full of peace and contentment makes eradicating a haunting all the more easy.
In terms of safety, spiritual protection works.
It just does.
Evil and demonic spirits will not fear you alone. Malevolence can be warded off through prayer and a Bible. There are different ways, such as protection spells and such, but that doesn't guarantee much after they ware of, or simply malfunction. Most malicious spirits, in my experience, are easily put off by faith and courage. Knowing that God is with you, protecting you, makes it all the more effective. Fear just provokes and amuses them. Running away, screaming your head off does no good. Courage, faith, and the utmost respect for these entities seems to be the best solution.

Having religious faith makes things easier...but obviously it's not a requirement.
that's probably what your mom meant.  

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100

Taigamma

Shadowy Paladin

8,850 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Battle: KO 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:45 pm
Religion brings regulation and order. Without order, there is chaos. Without belief, people will freak.

If there was no afterlife, do you really think people would just sit around? No, they would live it up doing WHATEVER they wish to do. Reincarnation would only keep them here longer.

Religion makes them fear consequence and keeps them in check. At least they can die knowing they did good with their life and not evil, giving into human nature.

Hell, religion IS human nature. Nothing can stop us from hoping and believing.

This is the essence of religion. It is necessary.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:58 am
TragicRabbit616
i want to be a paranormal investigator and my mom says i need to have a firm religous background but im not a really religous person
iacctualy dnt beleive in god
do i need religon?

If I've learned one thing in life it's that my parents have no idea what they are talking about. If you want to be a paranormal investigator don't worry about what your mom says. Study everything you can get your hands on the occult, paranormal, ghosts, different religions. You never know what might encounter and having the knowledge to have some sort of idea about it is always better than going into something blind. Knowledge is power and it's the greatest weapon against the evils of ignorance. Go forth and do what your soul tells you but if you're under 18 you need to at least tell your parents where you are going.  

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers