Reply Classical Musicians Guild
Telemann

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

liebestraume

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:37 pm
I love his overture suites. He has a much cleaner, more refined sound than J.S. Bach, imho.

Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:26 am
Telemann! YES!
Being a big fan of the Baroque, this is one of my favorite composers of all periods. It's a tie between him and Bach for the Baroque, where I think I can relate to Telemann a bit more because his tendency to break norms when it comes to instrumental arrangement. There is something truly baroque about him.

The sonatas for recorder are excellent. I especially like the 2nd movement of the Canonic Sonata in B Flat Major, the 1st movement of the Sonata in F Major and the 1st movement of the Fantasia in A minor.

The Darmstadt overture suites are great, I have three of them here and do not know if more exist because I find his catalogue weird getting around in. 2nd movement in the one in G minor is awesome, I can't hear it enough. The 6th movement of the overture suite in D Major is also really good, to point out two I really like from it.

Of course it's all great, and brings a very special feeling to my nature.

So yeah, I love Telemann, I just wish that more stuff with him existed (in the sense that at one point he was forgotten in history and not even performed..sigh. Today not many seem to know him. I want MORE).

But my favorite of his orchestral works would probably have to be the Musique de Table. I understand they were to him like what the Brandenburg concertos were to Bach. They're great and very precious to me.  

nechuroo

liebestraume

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:09 am
I love reading through the full score for the Darmstadt overture in G minor (especially the Gasconnade; so vibrant!).

Ever listen to the Don Quixote overture? That's a fun piece of music!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:53 am
I had a recording of it here that wouldn't play or copy onto the CD =( so close, but alas, I never got to hear it. But I will definitely get to it, also, I'm quite interested in why it's called the Don Quixote overture.  

nechuroo

liebestraume

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:37 pm
Well, Telemann was a proficient opera composer, and among other works he wrote "Don Quixote auf der Hochzeit des Camacho." It's likely the suite was inspired/part of the opera itself. Just a guess, but I know that Rameau did that with his opera ballet, and Telemann was deeply inspired by the trends in Paris.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:54 am
Makes sense since, all things considered, overtures are meant to be introductory to dramatic or choral works. But wait! I think I actually might have it right here on the computer. "Burlesque de Quixotte" in eight movements? Listening to that now.  

nechuroo

liebestraume

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:33 pm
nechuroo
Makes sense since, all things considered, overtures are meant to be introductory to dramatic or choral works. But wait! I think I actually might have it right here on the computer. "Burlesque de Quixotte" in eight movements? Listening to that now.

I love the last movement - "Le couche". It's got this one wierd chromatic tone in the first violins I can't put my tongue on without a score - sounds like an early blue note in 18th century music mrgreen !  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:12 am
Oh yeah, I realize I've actually heard that a few times biggrin it's something that amazes me because it doesn't sound "typically Baroque" at all, even sounds (to me) as though it has a bit of Middle Eastern touch to it now and then. It's a great piece biggrin  

nechuroo

`Kel`
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:15 pm
I love Baroque. Some of the best works for oboe were written in that time. I have liked everything Telemann has written for oboe, and really orchestra.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:01 pm
nechuroo

The sonatas for recorder are excellent. I especially like the 2nd movement of the Canonic Sonata in B Flat Major, the 1st movement of the Sonata in F Major and the 1st movement of the Fantasia in A minor.
Be alert...

I LOOOOOOOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE his Sonata in F. It was one of the first sonatas I ever played. <3 xD I still don't have it perfect, even though I've been practicing it for around a year and a half now. I like the third movement best. <33333333

...The world needs more lerts.

Jiji Velocity

Exu-Calibur

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:28 am
Telemann's a 2 way tilt for me xd Some of his songs drive me mental. But his Sonata in F is really something.  
Classical Musicians Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games