Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
pronounciation of gaia?? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

so how do you pronounce it?
  [jee - a]
  [guy - a]
  [gay - a]
  none of the above
  your just slow arent you -.-
  wrong place for this...
View Results

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:38 am
MemoryDragon
Well, she's also a Roman goddess, but they changed her name like they did with all the other gods and goddess. She's Terra in Latin. The Romans basically just stole the greek gods (and any other god who happened to come up) and gave them new names. In fact, they would have gladly welcomed the christian god into their pantheon, if it hadn't been for that "One God" only thing. xd They were rather religiously tolerant. It was the Christians that weren't.

*cough* Sorry... Again, more than you probably wanted to know. sweatdrop

Oh no, not too much at all, I find all this mythology fascinating!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:42 am
Heh, thanks. We Classicists can occasionally be a little long winded at times. I think it's the study of too many dead languages that make us crack like that. xd  

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:59 am
MemoryDragon
Heh, thanks. We Classicists can occasionally be a little long winded at times. I think it's the study of too many dead languages that make us crack like that. xd

LOL!

I had to learn Latin at my first high school ...

That was pretty ... boring. (I didn't see the point in it! XD)

But I've always found mythology fascinating, I wish we learnt more of it in school really. XD

PL  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:19 am
Ya, I've always pronounced it Gaia. I heard it on some game as that and always referred to it as such since then (not that games are always right). sweatdrop  

Dirteh Old Man

Aged Member

7,100 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

churrlo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:33 am
Pilotslover
MemoryDragon

LOL!

I had to learn Latin at my first high school ...

That was pretty ... boring. (I didn't see the point in it! XD)

But I've always found mythology fascinating, I wish we learnt more of it in school really. XD

PL

I love Mythology too ^_^ It's so spiffy biggrin

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:00 pm
I actually like learning about how the Greeks lived more than the mythology, but the Myths can be fun too. It's always enjoyable to find a book on mythology and see how much they've been whitewashed from the original...  

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:09 am
MemoryDragon
I actually like learning about how the Greeks lived more than the mythology, but the Myths can be fun too. It's always enjoyable to find a book on mythology and see how much they've been whitewashed from the original...

*nod nod* that's very true.

To contemporise it, look at Cinderella! In the original story the ugly step sisters were hacking at parts of their feet to get them into that shoe!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:28 pm
xd I just love that no one ever mentions Herakles (that's the non-latinized form of Hercules) had boy toys. I was reading one the other day that said he went left the Argonauts because his "servant" went missing. They just failed to mention the real relationship. rofl Never been a big fan of Herakles myself. He's a bit of a jerk in the real myths, lol. But most definitely a true Greek hero.  

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

Lagh Ruadh

Decisive Warrior

10,800 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • PvP 200
  • Smooth Operator 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:05 am
Eh. Herakles is boring to me. Not a fan of Jason, or Perseus. Akeles was okay.

And isn't Gaia a Titan, not a 'god', since the Titans were there first, and in the case of Cronus, gave birth to the Olympian Gods?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:19 am

Yes Aerin, your correct.

Gaia was actually the mother of Zeus. When her lover (forgive me I do not recall his name nor wish to attempt to spell it) ate all of her other children,the other gods, she switched Zeus with a rock and Zeus's father ate in one swallow and left Gaia. It was years later in which Zeus was a full grown man, where he either fought his father or tricked him to spill up his brothers and sisters.

So Gaia is actually a Titan, sorry for the rant.

Hokyo Cumen

shadowrainstorm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:31 pm
Guy-Ah like the goddess  
Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items