Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Did god get evicted from Europe?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ellell89

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:49 am
Well this started when I was wondering, 'why does everyone keep complaing about Christians oppresing them?' So I tried finding some statistics to see if 'God' really was as large and incharge In the US as he is made out to be.

Anyway after trying to find a decent chart online, the only place left to look was wikipedia so I geuess what its saying should be taken with a pinch of salt, but still I was shocked at what I saw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

Seems Like Europe got one up on the US don't it?
Why do you think Europe is so much more atheist than the US?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:37 pm
User Image

I'm not really sure why it is that this country is so stupidly religious. And by that, I don't mean that religion is necessarily stupid, I mean that people in America take their religions wayyyy too seriously and way too far, to the point of stupidity.

Maybe if we didn't let religious people determine which parts of science we teach and which we replace with Christian doctrine... and if we were required to explore other religions and philosophies in school so that we as a unit knew what other people believed and why... maybe if we put back some intellectualism in American primary and secondary schools... maybe then people would learn to calm down a little bit about their dogma and at least be nice to atheists. XD

User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:51 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
User Image
I'm not really sure why it is that this country is so stupidly religious. And by that, I don't mean that religion is necessarily stupid, I mean that people in America take their religions wayyyy too seriously and way too far, to the point of stupidity.
Maybe if we didn't let religious people determine which parts of science we teach and which we replace with Christian doctrine... and if we were required to explore other religions and philosophies in school so that we as a unit knew what other people believed and why... maybe if we put back some intellectualism in American primary and secondary schools... maybe then people would learn to calm down a little bit about their dogma and at least be nice to atheists. XD
User Image
I completely second this post.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:20 pm
Aaron Lee Morrison
Daffodil the Destroyer
User Image
User Image
I completely second this post.

I third this post.  

Arios V

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:26 am
Europe has over 2000 years of bloody religious history. America doesn't.

Perhaps being so far removed from those places where religion stained the ground red with the blood of countless innocents is part of the reason why here in America people are so quick to take their religion way too far.

It feels as the the more time passes, the further removed Americans (at least some of them) are from the reality of how ugly a Theocracy really is.

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games