A place for anyone who enjoys a good book 

Tags: reading, writing, books, roleplay, discussion 

Reply Writing Workshop
Prompt #2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you ever heard of the word effervescent?
  Of course!
  Erm..no. Are you speaking another language?
  ..Eh? Can I ask the audience?
  Goooold!! :D
View Results

seleneswan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:43 pm
Effervescent: -adjective

1. effervescing; bubbling.
2. vivacious; gay; lively; sparkling.

The little girl giggled, running around in the field, arms held out, as if she was flying. She stumbled a few times, but managed to pick herself up without so much as a grunt of effort. Her white dress flowed behind her, giving her an angelic impression. Her golden hair cascaded down her back and she came to an abrupt stop, staring up at the vast empty sky.

Her lips moved, as if she was speaking to someone, and she held out her hand, almost as if waiting for something to fall into it. But instead, her hand curled slightly, and she looked to her right and smiled, speaking some more. The effervescent giggles came again and she started to walk forward slowly, her hand swaying back and forth, still curled and outstretched.

It was strange, seeing a child so young an innocent, looking off into her own world and seeing some imaginary friend. The feeling of bliss and ignorance, the wonders of childhood, she mused. The old woman trailed behind in the field, thinking of her own childhood, her smile wistful. She approached the same spot the child had been in, and looked up at the sky with wisdom.

The memories flew by her eyes and her pale lips curled into a smile. The wrinkling skin around her cheeks lifted in happiness and the corners of her eyes crinkled as she thought back to when she stood in the very field, and probably did just the same as the little girl.

And suddenly, unthinkingly, she held out her hand, feeling for someone else’s. A warm hand grasped hers and she turned to the side, quickly, only to see nothingness. There were only the wildflowers and long grasses dancing the breeze, and a bee buzzing about among the flowers.

She looked down at her hand, her eyes tracing the contours, the folded elbow and found a small hand clutching hers.

The little girl looked up and smiled, her other hand still outstretched. The giggles spewed from the little girl’s mouth and she tugged her grandmother’s hand impatiently. The grandmother smiled wistfully again and followed, loping into the flowers ahead.

The golden rays of the sun shone down and there wasn’t a worry in the sky.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:54 pm
very pretty, and ur so lucky to have gotten a word that easier to use in a story setting, mine was kinda hard to understand at first....  

AmenthystMoon

serephemeral
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:44 pm
Very nice. I like the way you added more depth to the story, bringing in the grandmother and her thoughts. It was well written and flowy. And nice use of the word!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:29 pm
Veiled Seraph
Very nice. I like the way you added more depth to the story, bringing in the grandmother and her thoughts. It was well written and flowy. And nice use of the word!

Thank you! I wasn't sure about the word, becuase it sounded weird to me, to call an actual person effervescent...but then I found a way. smile  

seleneswan

seleneswan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:31 pm
AmenthystMoon
very pretty, and ur so lucky to have gotten a word that easier to use in a story setting, mine was kinda hard to understand at first....

Ooh, I liked the way you used your word, though. Principality. Very nice smile I would have had more fun with this if I'd had your word, though. Like, if been reading up on the Elizabethan ages and the ruling so...I don't know. I liked your word, though. And I love the originality! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:22 pm
Hah, that word is so interesting...effervescent.

I love this piece! Great job.  

Collote
Crew

Writing Workshop

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas