Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
How to Send a Postcard

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

in the flicker.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:44 pm
Well, it's been about a zillion years since I posted anything. Anyhow, this is for my creative writing class. The prompt was from "How to Set a House on Fire" by Stace Budzko. Tear this bugger to shreds if you feel the need; criticism is always welcome. Do try to be understanding, but don't worry too much about my little feelings =P. Here goes:

"How to Send a Postcard"
- Heather Harper

First, make one. Go to the drug store and find a card with a pretty, yet meaningful picture. Write a message inside for no apparent reason and then tear off the back. The picture is all you need. If you know another language, use it so that no one will know what it actually says—no one that matters, anyway.

Write on the front, the picture side, your actual message. This way it might actually get on the website. Be as cryptic as possible, once again, so that no one will know what it actually says—no one that matters, anyway.

When you've got your message on the front, do something to the picture to make it your own. Be subtle; make them work for it. If you're long-winded, turn the card over and draw a line in the middle, dividing the card in half. Write the address on the right side, just to be sure that you don't get caught up in writing the rest of your long winded message and forget the address entirely. This defeats the purpose. Check and double-check the address. Triple check.

One more check and now you can write on the left side. Before you mark up that left side, remember why you're making this postcard: to get it on the website. Explain your message, but do not translate it. Again, this defeats the purpose. A blurred messages is your friend. Confess, just a little. They love that. Admit defeat if it's applicable.

Sign it with a heart and a short, two word sentence. Try asking for forgiveness or demanding an answer. If you think it's appropriate, color in the heart, bright pink, and cry a little.

Forget the other reason you're making this postcard. Stop crying and worry about sending it.

Now go to the post office and get a stamp. Just get a stamp from the girl at the counter. Yes, a stamp. A postcard stamp. Consider giving the girl the postcard and risk seeing the expression on her face as she tries not to look at it in front of you. Decide against it and try to walk with your head up as you return, but be determined to send it when it's more convenient for you. Vow not to chicken out. Vow to send it.

Quit being so emotional and go back to your daily routine. Put the now-stamped postcard somewhere you won't lose it but where you don't have to look at it. Put it with those cigarettes you're not supposed to smoke or the letters you swore you threw away.

Stop thinking about it.

It's not looming over your head. It's not going to get lost or forgotten. Your girlfriend will not find it and be suspicious. Stop making stupid fantasies about what could happen but never will.

When you can't stop and decide you've had enough, leave again for the post office drop box. This time, be smart and hide it in a book. Try to walk with your head up. Don't look at people you know; they'll see your secret.

Just drop the postcard in the box and walk away. The box. Put it in the damn box, you idiot. Don't second guess, just pick one. Out of town. Just pull the level and toss the postcard in the box. What the hell is wrong with you?

You don't feel any better, do you? Good. That's how you're supposed to feel.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:48 pm
Hmmm. That was interesting.

I liked it. It seemed...cynical's not quite the right word but is the closest I can find. And that made it highly amusing.

Just pull the level and toss
I'm assuming level should be lever?

Just a tiny thing.

Spastic waffles
Captain

in the flicker.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:13 pm
haha, yes. You're exactly right, Waffles.

I fixed that on the one i submitted, thankfully =P  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:06 pm
I loved it. You turned a seemingly simple action into an emotionally and physically agonizing process.  

Reese_Roper

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff