Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Should children be exposed?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:28 pm
Today I got the chance to observe something rather interesting, while at the Dentist's office. I thought I might share it with you and get the opinions of all of you as well.

While sitting there, waiting to be called in, this women comes in with a child who, to the best of my observation has either some sort of mental retardation, or some sort of neurological disorder/disability. He came in carrying a tub while walking on rather knobbly knees.

After they were seated the women pulls out some sort of book...and says rather loudly "I need for you to answer some questions for me".

Her first question was "What is your relationship with Jesus." Then she asked "How does god help you?" Each time the child, obviously straining to find a way to answer, gave out what sounded like a mix of gibberish and English.

This kid, couldn't have been more than 7 years old. Yet this women, who may or may not have been his mother was basically indoctrinating him into Christianity. While I never looked at her, or even flinched during her little Q & A with the kid, she stopped halfway, folded the book up and then stared at me with pure malice. I suppose my striped blue shirt, black collar, and Tripp Pants might have formed a generalization in her mind, but oh well.

In any case, I cannot help but think, that poor child. He's not old enough to understand the concept that he is being indoctrinated into. He is being programmed into accepting a god, and into spitting forth pre-fabricated answers when it comes to religion.

For some reason this kind of behavior is the kind that disturbs me the most. I really hate it when people do this to children. I feel that children should have some sort of protection against such brainwashing. They should be allowed for their minds to develop without the seed of religion so that once they are capable of understanding what they are asked to believe they can make a more informed opinion.

What do you think of this? Should parents really be allowed to do this kind of thing? Is it really appropriate? Also, do think that being indoctrinated early on increases the chances of the person growing up xenophobic?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:42 pm
Theirs nothing wrong with exposing children to religion. But forcing it on them every day and telling them that's the how they have to live their lives, like in that movie twisted "Jesus Camp" twisted should be considered child abuse. All their doing is turning their kids into mindless robots.  

Zambimaru

PathlessPlot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:32 pm
With my own son I am going to let him decide whether he wants to be involved in religion or not. I won't lie to him about what I think, and I will require him to research the religion he's interested in before he dedicates himself. Religion is bound to have an allure on him for a little while. Honestly though, I won't expect it to last very long if he is well-informed enough.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:39 pm
A major part of parenting is indoctrination. Even the most extreme lunatic still sees his or her views as being correct, and I would expect they would impart their reality unto their children just as they would tell them that the Earth is round. (Hopefully.)  

Erutangis

Teoka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:40 pm
Rebo socks rocks
With my own son I am going to let him decide whether he wants to be involved in religion or not. I won't lie to him about what I think, and I will require him to research the religion he's interested in before he dedicates himself. Religion is bound to have an allure on him for a little while. Honestly though, I won't expect it to last very long if he is well-informed enough.

My thoughts exactly heart I don't want my future kids going to church before they've learned critical thinking skills.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:21 pm
Zambimaru
Theirs nothing wrong with exposing children to religion. But forcing it on them every day and telling them that's the how they have to live their lives, like in that movie twisted "Jesus Camp" twisted should be considered child abuse. All their doing is turning their kids into mindless robots.

That is true. However one can argue that at least exposure should wait until they can at least grasp the concept of what they are being asked to believe.

Yes, that would in my mind also be considered Child Abuse. Jesus Camp still sends horrible shivers down my spine because it reflect real camps out there who do such brainwashing. However, I don't think it would be possible to convict the adults as abusing children because of the religious implications.

Although people did win in some areas against the "Praying your children to death" instances that were cropping up all over the place a few years back.

Sanguvixen

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:21 pm
User Image

This is an interesting question. According to my family, I was asking questions about "God" when I was little and that was when we started going to church... my family believes in God, as if his presence is an undeniable fact, therefore they didn't think twice about telling me he was there. I think that in a lot of ways, the sort of indoctrination I had from my parents would most likely have been harmless if I hadn't started hanging out with those crazy dominionists in high school - because THAT was when my religious belief turned into an unhealthy, intolerant addiction.

I think that teaching your kids about your religion is okay, as long as you also teach them that they need to decide FOR THEMSELVES whether or not they believe in it.

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:22 pm
Rebo socks rocks

That is a really good way to go, rather than make him side with the idea of Atheism, or Agnostic views, let him choose by doing his own research. I would so much like to see more people in America following the same example but there is such a thing as expecting to much of people.

Sanguvixen

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:26 pm
Erutangis
A major part of parenting is indoctrination. Even the most extreme lunatic still sees his or her views as being correct, and I would expect they would impart their reality unto their children just as they would tell them that the Earth is round. (Hopefully.)

I thought a parent was supposed to be someone who guides their child to early adult-hood, and cares for them so that one day they can go out on their own. I never though of "Indoctrination" as being a parent's job. It is something that organized religion might shoulder upon a parent as a responsibility but....

I would imagine if one is a parent, wouldn't it be the ultimate goal that the child can go out and become something different and new, and not a carbon copy of the original parents?

In any case of course extreme lunatics see their views as correct. It is their obsessive nature in wanting to be right and force it upon others, that makes them carry that name. However I would hope that children would be able to see this, or at least some point catch unto the lunacy...learn from it and turn from it.

However one look at how Fred Phelp's children and grand-children turned out sort of nullifies such a hopeful expectation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:30 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
User Image

This is an interesting question. According to my family, I was asking questions about "God" when I was little and that was when we started going to church... my family believes in God, as if his presence is an undeniable fact, therefore they didn't think twice about telling me he was there. I think that in a lot of ways, the sort of indoctrination I had from my parents would most likely have been harmless if I hadn't started hanging out with those crazy dominionists in high school - because THAT was when my religious belief turned into an unhealthy, intolerant addiction.

I think that teaching your kids about your religion is okay, as long as you also teach them that they need to decide FOR THEMSELVES whether or not they believe in it.

User Image

Ah...but the problem with that is religion tends to teach that it is dangerous for one to have that option to choose....and therefore adults act on that notion by trying to not let the child have the idea that there is a choice.

I agree with your statement though.

The more a person is into it as a child, I think the more chances there are that an unhealthy obsession will follow. That doesn't mean they will stay that way their whole life...but it does set things up.

Sanguvixen

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:39 pm
No, never these children are being brainwashed. No matter what all religions are about brainwashing they're followers. They are no better than cults. We should have all things pretaining to religion sensored from tv like the swear words because it's harmful to their minds.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:43 pm
I don't think children should be forced into believing such things so early.
If I had a kid, I'd want the kid to grow up and think for him/herself. I'd wait until the kid had a better understanding of everything and the ability to actually think for him/herself before making any huge steps into religion. I'd allow the kid to believe in something on faith, rather than any logical reasoning, if he or she really really thought it was necessary and it was his or her choice.
I don't like it when kids are forced to believe so early, but I don't think it should be illegal. I think it should just be greatly shunned upon unless it actually causes harm. (I know it causes harm in the sense that it makes the kid believe in some delusional fantasy but as long as it doesn't tell anyone to fly planes into buildings, I don't think it should actually be "illegal").
I'm not exactly sure how I stand though... but I really don't like little children being forced into religious beliefs sweatdrop  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

Edi Gammon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:07 pm
I'm with Divinity on this one. There's never going to be a truly effective way to control what parents teach their children. Even if there were one, you wouldn't want it. I think the best we can do is cause people to think, and reflect on their own beliefs. Learn about logical fallacies and point them out wherever you find them. If people develop a moral sense by gaining an understanding of the reality that we all share, then I think it's natural for parents to encourage their kids to learn about the world, and develop a code of ethics on their own also.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games