Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Liberty University concerns

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Teoka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:04 am
My boyfriend of ten months is at the point where he has to try to decide where he will go to college. Sadly, one of the choices he has, among Lynchburg, VTech, George Mason, and our local community college, is Liberty University. The fact that it was founded by Jerry Fallwell should be enough indication that this is a batshit crazy religious college.

I am very concerned about this. My boyfriend is baptist, and he takes his faith seriously, but he isn't pushy; you can't even tell by meeting him that he's religious, which is a huge plus, IMO (I wouldn't agree to marry him in the future if he was psychotic smile ). He wants to be a biologist, but this place teaches Creationism, ID, and what I'm sure is a biased view about evolution. There is also the issue of The Liberty Way, which basically tells you what you can and cannot do.

I want to approach him on this issue, but I'm afraid that it might cause conflict. I don't want to come across as trying to stop him from going to the school because I don't like religion. I honestly think that it would be a very bad educational move to go there. Any reliable biologist who thinks that creationism and ID are reasonable alternatives to evolution would be a laughingstock. And I'm afraid that if he attends Liberty, religion will become an even more critical and divisive issue; I'm sure you all are aware how much one's opinion of the world can change in college. Finally, I would hate for him to be kicked out of college for doing things that are none of anyone else's business. We do several things that, if anyone were to find out, could get him booted, with 130 reprimands, +84 hours disciplinary community service, $3025 in fines, and whatever other penalties come along with that many reprimands.

How should I approach him on this? Any other advice you can give me?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:28 pm
User Image

Liberty ******** freaks me out. I know two people that I used to go to school with who went there and two more who almost went there. One of the Liberty graduates I know spends all his time on Facebook sending spam to everyone on his friends list - things such as invitations to groups with titles like "Pray for Reverend Falwell and the Falwell Family." Now he spends all his time posting McCain's malicious attack ads on Obama and spewing about how Obama supporters are "ignorant and partisan." Now, I do post a lot of links about dirt on Palin, but those are actual articles, not attack ads, and I don't insult my friends because of their political leanings, even if I disagree.

As for your boy, I 'd remind him of the costly consequences for being himself that he would encounter from that college. Remind him strongly. Also, point out the good points of the other schools he has to choose from. This should be a no-brainer. He can be a Baptist at any of these schools, but if he goes to Liberty, he will be forced to conform to their rules and the outrageous consequences associated with them.

User Image  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:34 pm
I think the first thing you can do is research the other colleges to find it's their good points, and find one in particular that has really strong points that outweigh any cons.

Arm yourself with that information so that you can convince to go to some other college, other than Liberty because it will be the best choice for him as per his future.

That is the best advice I can give so that you can tackle it without it looking too much like an issue of religion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:43 pm
Wow....you know, you might be able to use the information on the front page as being enough to turn him. Find out how many of those things you and he both enjoy and then ask him if he is willing to give all that up to go to such a college when he can go to another, and still enjoy life.

College is supposed to be about education. When it crosses the to control your life (as this one obviously does), that there is no point joining it.

That place....disgusts me.

Sanguvixen

vtm74

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:53 pm
I hate to tell you this, but this could be a sign of your future. If you are already concerned about his college choices, to the point where you aren't sure how to discuss it, imagine what the future holds. Marriage ceremonies, children (how will they be raised?), etc.
Not saying to dump the guy, but know that relationships between atheists and Christians can have problems. Just keep your ears and eyes open, and don't just think with your heart; logic can be a cruel mistress, but a good mistress nonetheless.
-vtm74 cool  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:41 pm
Thanks for your advice, y'all. I gave him a summary, but he's still considering it for a back-up. Those other colleges, especially VTech, are his primary choices. I'm going to actually SHOW him the list of rules; hopefully, a visual representation of the ******** will change his mind.

He said that even regular colleges have the no opposite gender dorm rules, but I hope to get across how controlling the rules are in areas of life that would not only affect him, but me as well, AND IT'S NO ONE ELSE'S BUSINESS WHAT WE DO IN MY BEDROOM. *cough*

@ vtm74 - We have actually addressed those issues. He wants to have the ceremony at his church, but it will be secular. Our kids will be raised religion neutral and allowed to choose to go to church when they can prove they know what they're getting into. He's too good a person to let religion get in the way. smile  

Teoka

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:42 pm
Teoka
My boyfriend of ten months is at the point where he has to try to decide where he will go to college. Sadly, one of the choices he has, among Lynchburg, VTech, George Mason, and our local community college, is Liberty University. The fact that it was founded by Jerry Fallwell should be enough indication that this is a batshit crazy religious college.

I am very concerned about this. My boyfriend is baptist, and he takes his faith seriously, but he isn't pushy; you can't even tell by meeting him that he's religious, which is a huge plus, IMO (I wouldn't agree to marry him in the future if he was psychotic smile ). He wants to be a biologist, but this place teaches Creationism, ID, and what I'm sure is a biased view about evolution. There is also the issue of The Liberty Way, which basically tells you what you can and cannot do.

I want to approach him on this issue, but I'm afraid that it might cause conflict. I don't want to come across as trying to stop him from going to the school because I don't like religion. I honestly think that it would be a very bad educational move to go there. Any reliable biologist who thinks that creationism and ID are reasonable alternatives to evolution would be a laughingstock. And I'm afraid that if he attends Liberty, religion will become an even more critical and divisive issue; I'm sure you all are aware how much one's opinion of the world can change in college. Finally, I would hate for him to be kicked out of college for doing things that are none of anyone else's business. We do several things that, if anyone were to find out, could get him booted, with 130 reprimands, +84 hours disciplinary community service, $3025 in fines, and whatever other penalties come along with that many reprimands.

How should I approach him on this? Any other advice you can give me?

??? Just tell him the truth???  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:55 pm
Teoka
Thanks for your advice, y'all. I gave him a summary, but he's still considering it for a back-up. Those other colleges, especially VTech, are his primary choices. I'm going to actually SHOW him the list of rules; hopefully, a visual representation of the ******** will change his mind.

He said that even regular colleges have the no opposite gender dorm rules, but I hope to get across how controlling the rules are in areas of life that would not only affect him, but me as well, AND IT'S NO ONE ELSE'S BUSINESS WHAT WE DO IN MY BEDROOM. *cough*

@ vtm74 - We have actually addressed those issues. He wants to have the ceremony at his church, but it will be secular. Our kids will be raised religion neutral and allowed to choose to go to church when they can prove they know what they're getting into. He's too good a person to let religion get in the way. smile
User Image

What "regular colleges" has he been dealing with? Most public, nonreligious colleges have no such rule.

User Image  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers