Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
I need some help... Knitted/felted tea cozy

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tea!
  Is wonderful!
View Results

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:32 pm
Quick what-i-need-help-with: Looking for a pattern for a felted tea cozy that allows for pouring.

Long in-depth what-i-need-help-with:
I'm getting a jump start on Christmas presents, and i want to make my sister a tea cozy. She's a crafter herself, but she'll probably never get around to making herself a tea cozy, and she wants one. I wanted to make her a felted one. I've been looking for a pattern, but i haven't found one that i like. I'm looking for a plain colored one that's easy to use. I have this vision of this thing that you set the tea pot on, and then you pull the two sides up, with ties to hold it on. Though i'm open to other suggestions. If its something in a book, i'd love to hear suggestions, i can probably get ahold of something.

I have a few concerns.
-I've never made a tea-cozy, but if i have a good pattern i'll be fine.
- I've never felted anything before, so i don't know what kind of shrinkage and whatnot to expect.
- I want a pattern that allows for pouring the tea, so a pattern that leaves the spout and handle free would be good.

This is the yarn i'm using:
http://www.cascadeyarns.com/cascade-220.asp
It's Cascade 220 wool.
100% Peruvian Highland Wool
100 grams/3.5 oz
220 yards
needle size 7, 5 stitches per 1", size 8, 4 1/2 stitches per 1"  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:52 pm
Verrry pretty yarn ^^

I'm actually quite interested in making a knitted/felted tea cosy.

I was just going to take a toque pattern and modify it for a tea pot, making an enlarged button hole for the pour spout and the handle. You might find something on this site.

Now, I've never felted anything before, but I think it's safer to make your tea cozy on the big size, I don't think an extra inch or two will make a huge difference appearance wise.

Edit: I think I'm going to make this one.

Edit 2: This one is pretty adorable, too. It doesn't seem to have a spout, though, but again - BUTTON HOLES.

Supertheory

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff