Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I've got some atheist tales for you.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do Jesus and Santa Claus have in common?
  they're both imaginary
  they both secretly support gay marriage
View Results

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:01 pm
Alright so who wants to hear some stories I have?
It's two interesting stories that may or may not be interesting to you o.O

First off, I want to talk about my Trigonometry teacher. Last year, he was also my teacher and he spoke about very interesting things (note: at the time, I wasn't an atheist. I don't even know if I qualified as a Christian or if i just tried to be christian). Anyways, one day near halloween, one dude said "I wanna dress up as a priest!" in his class room and somehow that led to him talking about his life. It was somehow brought up that he thinks children should be able to choose themselves to follow any religion or not when they're mature and responsible enough to decide; they shouldn't be forced. He also talked about how he was raised like his whole life in Christian schools, etc.
The dude who said he wanted to dress up as a priest started reading this random quote in the bible and the teacher said "Stop reading it" because we were supposed to be working and the kid went "well in here it says ________" (i dont remember what he said in that blank spot but it was something in the bible). Then the teacher said "I know what it says"
and he said "really? say it then" and so the teacher then recited like 40 verses after it off the top of his head and he could've kept going too o_O
It was pretty awesome Lol. I was just woooooow o_O
Anyways, he's also believed to be an atheist since he's been known to say "I don't believe something until I see it."

Anyways, I just thought that was interesting... sorry, that was a lot of writing o_O and that's not even all of it. There's more if anyone's interested. I just feel like typing this up even if it's too long for anyone to even attempt reading o.o

Second story:
Now don't ask me how I know but I'm almost positive that my "best friend" asked the Anatomy teacher(in private) about evolution's "flaws" and talked about God in HOPE to hear stuff in favor of his opinion to shove into my face since I'm such a delusional atheist that denies the truth. But, however, the teacher didn't doubt the theory of evolution and had nothing to say about God because he doesn't believe in God. I can't say all of this happened for sure but I hear stuff around and I can sort of infer and just put the pieces together. Also, in class one day, the teacher juts felt like stirring up controversy or something Lol so he said "what do santa claus and jesus have in common?"
it was pretty funny how he was talking about how santa gives presents to good people and jesus promises heaven for good people etc. and they were arguing Lol. I was hoping to hear "they are both imaginary" but he didn't say it. I'm pretty s ure he was thinking it though Lol. It was fun to watch my friend frantically argue with my anatomy teacher.

Anyways, thanks for reading if you did Lol. I know it's a lot. Anyways, make any comments you want o_O

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:46 am
interesting neutral i enjoyed it it made me think of all the stuff that happens at my school  

animaguy

KitCatbartender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:50 pm
that was interesting.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:58 pm
You must live in a pretty liberal part of town for that to happen~
Where exactly did all of this happen? I'm super curious now O.O.  

[The Looney Bin]

Serendipity Splendor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:34 am
These kind of teachers are the best! The ones who get students to think for themselves and aren't willing to share their lives with their students...

And have you ever noticed the coolest teachers (like your anatomy teacher) are ALWAYS the science teachers??

Like I mean it... almost every science teacher I've had has been awesome.

Except the religious people probably hate 'em.

Thanks for sharing your stories with us! heart  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:13 am
I remember being in science class last year and we got on to the subject of evolution, and the teacher immediately pointed out the misconceptions of evolution and some of the evidences. Then after class, I had a discussion with her about how it is probably religion is the reason why people don't like the idea of evolution, and she agreed. haha. The religious kids in back of me are just keeping quiet though.

In my history class, it was great too because these religious kids would always go crazy over the fact I was an atheist and it was literally the whole class against me in a debate, and I kid you not I totally and utterly destroyed their pathetic excuses for arguments. This one girl ended the argument by saying that she would have her entire church praying for me. Also one time this same girl pulled a Dane Cook on me with the tree thing, and I said pretty much the same thing only instead of Bible I said The God Delusion, though sometimes when people say it now I use Origin of Species in place of Bible.  

Kurdt Donald Cobain

T3h_Wafflez

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:47 pm
LOL school is where the wierdest things happen  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:23 pm
Oh, that's so fun! I'd loved to have had a teacher like that. I had an American History teacher who was a real bible-thumper, though. She swore up one side and down the other that you could take the "this rock, that tree" description of the borders of Israel in the bible today, and be able to follow it exactly, precisely along today's borders. As if rocks don't get quarried and trees don't die or get cut down. Wrong on all accounts, too. She got in a load of trouble for that during the next parent-teacher conferences. She pretty well got raked over the coals by rather a lot of angry parents. Not long after, we watched "Inherit the Wind," about the 1925 Scopes 'Monkey" Trial, and we had to write an essay on our beliefs on the creationism/evolution thing. At that point, I was absolutely certain I'd wind up with a bad grade, but I didn't care. I wrote a rather blistering essay on my thoughts on the matter, and much to my surprise, I got full marks.

But the Santa/Jesus thing reminded me of a very cute story. This one's from 1895, and involved a little 5-year-old boy. Now, in those days, really little kids still all pretty much looked the same, with long ringlets, and dressed in longish white gowns. Granted, this boy's mother, Sarah, was kind of seriously postponing his own graduation to short pants and shorter hair (she had issues, and her husband, Winfield, had more, as he had been committed to the local insane asylum some two years previous), but anyway, there he came down the stairs one morning, long golden curls bobbing around his shoulders, and he had, apparently been doing some very heavy thinking. "Santa Claus," he brightly declared (in mid-August), "is a myth!" Yes, his vocabulary at 5 really was that advanced. His assembled family all kind of looked at each other. Well, guess that Santa Claus thing hadn't lasted very long.... But, Li'l Sunshine there, as he was affectionately known, wasn't done yet. "If Santa Claus is a myth," he reasoned sagely, " then, why isn't God?" His very Baptist grandmother, Robie, practically fainted and no child in history had ever been bundled off to Sunday School faster. He spent nearly 8 years in there, a "pestiferous questioner" by his own description, until his mother was rather sternly invited not to bring him back. Probably because at 12 he had become a rather unapologetic atheist, and no doubt it was starting to have a deleterious effect on the other students' belief in God. I'm not 100% certain, but they may well have also caught him at one of his favorite youthful pastimes: feeding little paper Christians to little paper lions.  

Paraldehyde Kool-Aid

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff